Looking for a good Mac friendly recording program .

Geetarpicker

I run Pro Tools 12 on a 2012 Mac Mini running Sierra. But Pro Tools is expensive and it can be finicky on some systems. I run Reaper when I just need a basic system that's runs on most anything with foolproof reliability. I keep Reaper on my MacBook Air for remote work as it only has 4gb of ram and struggles with the latest Pro Tools.

griggsterr

Gold Supporting Member
I have Logic pro x, and Studio one ( the high end version, can't remember the name). I find myself using Logic the most. It is an Apple product and it is not expensive. And you can use 3rd party plug ins.

The Other JC

I use Studio One 3 Professional on my Macbook Pro running OS X El Capitan. I was a Pro Tools user, but I switched to Studio One because PT10 wasn't compatible with OS X and I was tired of having to upgrade PT so often. I love Studio One. It runs great on my Mac.

Part of the reason that I decided to switch to Studio One instead of Logic was, if I decide later to switch to a Windows machine (because who knows what options will be available in 5-10 years?), I can continue to use Studio One on a Windows machine but would have to learn a new DAW if I chose Logic for now.

trisonic

I did a film soundtrack just using Garageband (for students at Tisch). Otherwise I use Logic.

Best, Pete.

micycle

Another vote for Logic... it's absolutely insane what you get for the price with all of the built-in instruments and effects. Although I use other plugins because I've gotten used to them over the years in my pre-Logic days I could easily pull off what I need to using nothing but Logic.

Until I switched to Mac a few years ago I used Sonar since 2000 or so and read last year they're releasing a version for OSX.. was supposed to be released in fall but that has come and gone and there's no info on their website. Although I would have jumped on that when I switched to Mac (and still might just because I know it) who knows.. I may stick with Logic.

phel21

DAW?

I'm using Studio One 2 - haven't moved to version 3 yet. It's been excellent.
I would second that ... until recently that is. What Apple has done to MacOS over the last few years stinks. Reliability and performance has suffered to the point that it is reasonable to question the viability of the platform for anything beyond mindless browsing. Apple has apparently channelled all their resources toward point-and-forget gizmos for the brainless masses. S1V2 has worked well for me on OS X / MacOS, but S1V3 on Sierra has so far been a disappointment. It crashes left right and center (in places where OS I/O-dialogs are invoked from S1), and this problem has existed for months without a fix. I don't yet know if it is S1V3 or MacOS Sierra that is rotten, but this particular combination is useless right now.

chillybilly

I would second that ... until recently that is. What Apple has done to MacOS over the last few years stinks. Reliability and performance has suffered to the point that it is reasonable to question the viability of the platform for anything beyond mindless browsing. Apple has apparently channelled all their resources toward point-and-forget gizmos for the brainless masses. S1V2 has worked well for me on OS X / MacOS, but S1V3 on Sierra has so far been a disappointment. It crashes left right and center (in places where OS I/O-dialogs are invoked from S1), and this problem has existed for months without a fix. I don't yet know if it is S1V3 or MacOS Sierra that is rotten, but this particular combination is useless right now.

I can't argue. I've had many more freeze-ups than I did before...balky apps that won't force quit etc.

They also buggered up iOS 10 especially Bluetooth which took until 10.3 to get fixed properly.

I'm somewhat lucky in that my everyday machine is a Windows box and the Mac is dedicated to production but Apple's official methods of responding to tech issues is bizarre. A multi-multi-billion dollar company's first line of recommendation/defense for buggy software is to .... post in user community forums? They're having a laugh. Even the most advanced user can do nothing with buggy code.

raph

I'm on 10.9.5 on my recorder, but 10.7something is where I should have stayed. Apple started adding buffers everywhere and the latency shot through the roof.

eigentone

Gold Supporting Member

:D

@others Logic is the obvious upgrade from GB to full-featured professional recording software because of session compatibility with GB. It's the next logical step when more features or better plugins are needed. However, some people may prefer a different workflow or feature set, or choose another DAW for session compatibility.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom