Looking for a good volume pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by delk777, Sep 19, 2005.

1. delk777

delk777 Guest

Hey Y'all...Looking for a good sounding, well built volume pedal...the only one's i'm aware of are the Ernie Ball's.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Delk

2. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I had the EB. Now I have a Goodrich. It seems much better.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

I wish I had known about Goodrich b4 I got my EB. Dont get me wrong, I really like the newer EB's, I have an old one and it was a HUGE tone sucker. But I tried the newer EB Jr and was very impressed, no tone suck at all and the swell is nice and even. The only issue I have with it is, it has been rebuilt twice now, and that's within a year and a half :( Thankfully customer service at EB has been VERY good and it has always been returned quickly. But I wish I didnt have to worry about that.

I thought about the Morley, but too many tone suck stories. Next time I get some cash I am going to look into the Goodrich. But if there are others out there, would love to hear about it. I need an EVEN swell rate, the old EB's I hated because the biggest volume push was at the last third of the toe press. I could have dealt with it if it were in the first third, but the new EB's give you the choice with the switch. Also NO tone suck, I would rather go without than have to deal with that.

4. D.G.

D.G. Member

Actually, I have not found this to be true. Since it uses a 250k pot, there will be high-end roll-off. I combat this by always placing at least one good buffered pedal in front of it. On my big board, I have a pair of Tech 21 pedals that do the job, and on my little board I use an RC Booster. Also, I always recommend using George L's or higher quality cables for the entire signal chain.

5. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

I use the EB Jr. with the 25K pot and a buffered signal. And I'm happy about it.

6. ABKB

ABKB Member

I do use George L's through my entire run and I place the EB at the end of the path (well almost, I place it just before my delay). If there is some tone suck there, I havent been able to hear it, doesnt mean it's not there, just that I cant hear it.

7. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

The one I've liked the best and kept the longest is the old Boss FV100. It's HUGE but it's got a great taper plus it's got a volume control so that you can set the minimum volume at just a little lower than the full setting so you can use it as a fake boost almost (if that makes any sense). If you look around you'll see these on the boards of guys like Landau, Henderson, and a lot of the Nashville guys as well.

Plus you can find them for about $25-$30 on ebay pretty easily. Easy to work on as well if you have a problem with it.

8. delk777

delk777 Guest

Thanks to all of you for your time and input. Has anyone tried a Hilton volume pedal? They seem to be getting a good bit of attention and do not have pots...

- Delk

9. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Try a George Dennis volume pedal, the only thing I don't like on this pedal is that it doens't have a warning LED for when the batterie is low, but you can use a power supply.
    E.B.