1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Looking for a good volume pedal...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by delk777, Sep 19, 2005.

1. delk777

delk777 Guest

Hey Y'all...Looking for a good sounding, well built volume pedal...the only one's i'm aware of are the Ernie Ball's.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

- Delk

2. sstweed

sstweed Supporting Member

I had the EB. Now I have a Goodrich. It seems much better.

3. ABKB

ABKB Member

I wish I had known about Goodrich b4 I got my EB. Dont get me wrong, I really like the newer EB's, I have an old one and it was a HUGE tone sucker. But I tried the newer EB Jr and was very impressed, no tone suck at all and the swell is nice and even. The only issue I have with it is, it has been rebuilt twice now, and that's within a year and a half :( Thankfully customer service at EB has been VERY good and it has always been returned quickly. But I wish I didnt have to worry about that.

I thought about the Morley, but too many tone suck stories. Next time I get some cash I am going to look into the Goodrich. But if there are others out there, would love to hear about it. I need an EVEN swell rate, the old EB's I hated because the biggest volume push was at the last third of the toe press. I could have dealt with it if it were in the first third, but the new EB's give you the choice with the switch. Also NO tone suck, I would rather go without than have to deal with that.

4. D.G.

D.G. Member

Actually, I have not found this to be true. Since it uses a 250k pot, there will be high-end roll-off. I combat this by always placing at least one good buffered pedal in front of it. On my big board, I have a pair of Tech 21 pedals that do the job, and on my little board I use an RC Booster. Also, I always recommend using George L's or higher quality cables for the entire signal chain.

5. spencerbk

spencerbk Member

I use the EB Jr. with the 25K pot and a buffered signal. And I'm happy about it.

6. ABKB

ABKB Member

I do use George L's through my entire run and I place the EB at the end of the path (well almost, I place it just before my delay). If there is some tone suck there, I havent been able to hear it, doesnt mean it's not there, just that I cant hear it.

7. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

The one I've liked the best and kept the longest is the old Boss FV100. It's HUGE but it's got a great taper plus it's got a volume control so that you can set the minimum volume at just a little lower than the full setting so you can use it as a fake boost almost (if that makes any sense). If you look around you'll see these on the boards of guys like Landau, Henderson, and a lot of the Nashville guys as well.

Plus you can find them for about $25-$30 on ebay pretty easily. Easy to work on as well if you have a problem with it.

8. delk777

delk777 Guest

Thanks to all of you for your time and input. Has anyone tried a Hilton volume pedal? They seem to be getting a good bit of attention and do not have pots...

- Delk

9. DigitalTube

DigitalTube Member

Try a George Dennis volume pedal, the only thing I don't like on this pedal is that it doens't have a warning LED for when the batterie is low, but you can use a power supply.
    E.B.