Looking for a grab - n - go combo - requirements below - suggestions?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by wrxplayer, Apr 24, 2015.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I'm looking for an inexpensive grab n go to play at jams, open mic's, perhaps really small rooms for gigging. I'd like it to be <20 watts, < 40 lbs, and <$700 used. Will play basic classic rock. Would prefer a MV to reduce need for an OD pedal.

I'm not stuck on one type of tube vs another but suspect it'll be 2x6v6 or 2xel84 given the above.

Thinking of the hand-wired 12 watt VHT amp. Welcome feedback on it and other options.

2. jpervin

jpervin Member

Fender Blues Jr. has all that. However, for 10 more watts, I'd go with a Peavey Classic 30.

3. IM4Tone

IM4Tone Member

Even though I have a Blues Jr., I'd second the above. To stay within budget, it'll have to be used and you'll need a footswitch also (at least I would). They have the reputation for reliability, so used is probably no large risk.

4. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

I don't think 10-12 watts will be enough for many jams. The Classic 30 or Delta Blues might do it. Fender Blues deluxe is an option too. DRRI also.

5. crackbass

crackbass Supporting Member

[​IMG]

This is what I use. Not expensive, but if you want to rock with a small amp this is a good one.

6. IndyMead

IndyMead Member

Blues Jr.! I think this amp is way underrated for getting a classic rock tone. Crank the preamp and work the master volume to where ever you need it.

7. Gtrman100

Gtrman100 Member

You oughta consider a Fender Mustang III v2. Don't knock it until you've tried it. They sound great, are light and portable, loud, cheap and no need for any pedals. I use one for jams, grab and go and as a backup. I could do just about any gig with one without feeling unsatisfied.

8. televisual

televisual Supporting Member

Would recommend a Peavey Classic (wattage varies), Crate Palamino, or perhaps if you can find a Dr Maz on the cheap

9. guitarsngear

guitarsngear Member

10. sbrett

sbrett Member

11. witafro2

witafro2 Member

12. Rumble5

Rumble5 Member

Orange Tiny Terror combo
    Blues Jr
    JCM800 4210 (a little bigger and more powerful but w/ the MV it can do low volume stuff just fine)
    Studio 15

13. goodhonk

goodhonk Member

14. theroan

theroan Member

Mesa Express 5:25+

15. rockon1

rockon1 Member

Find a used mesa DC-3. Just revisited mine and rediscovered what a great classic rock (and more) amp it is. Small but a bit heavier than 40lbs. Under 700 used. Bob

16. doublescale1

doublescale1 FSR Tele Silver Supporting Member

I live on the east side of metropolitan Detroit
    +1 on the VHT Special 12/20. A 1X12 combo. Can be had well under $500. and a lot less with a big-box store coupon, even more affordable. It's hand-wired so getting it worked on is easy if you have a good tech in your area. You can go between 6V6's (stock w/amp) for 12 watts or use the internal bias switch and go with 6L6's for 20 watts. It's designed to be a clean, high headroom amp, which it delivers on - a great pedal platform. It's also got a built-in attenuator, and a hot 9v. power-out on the top-right hand corner (as your looking at it) to power pedals sitting on top. Comes with or w/out Reverb/Trem. It's voiced like a Princeton Blackface with just a tiny bit more mids than the amp its' based on. In all, it's an amazing value and a great sounding amp, even with the stock speaker. For a bargain solid state amp the Fender Mustang 3 is getting a lot, no, make that a ton of love and that's about $350. new. Good Hunting.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2015
  17. Mullenski

Mullenski Gold Supporting Member

Ditto Mesa 5:25!

Should be able to get for $700 used. A whole lotta amp!

18. slavenoid

slavenoid Member

I have a lot of amps: 65 Deluxe, 95 Pro Jr Mesa markIIB, Mesa MarkI, Vox AC30TBX, 4 National/Valcos various models, Vox DA5, DA10, VT20, VT30 VT40, etc etc. The last few gigs I have played I have used the Vox VT40 with footswitch, left all my other amps, pedalboard etc at home. Use it on the manual settings, try the AC30 and Twin models. It will do the job and the tube in the power amp makes it sound real.

19. Scott L

Scott L Gold Supporting Member

I second checking out Vox VT series - the original 50 Watt / 12 inch is amazing for the money - plus has the external out. Tones of effects and you can add the 5 button pedal for some real versatility.

Got my son a few years back the VT 15 - love it, but looking back, should have sprung for the $$ on VT50.