Looking for a guitar: Collings I-35 that survived Morgan Music shop fire

backdrifter

I'm probably dating myself here, but....

Do any members remember this guitar? Back in 2008 or 2009 there was a Collings I-35 for sale here. If I remember the story correctly, it had survived the shop fire that destroyed Morgan Music. But it was left with some honest battle scars. It was the coolest authentic relic I had ever seen. A lot of gear seems to recycle through the for sale pages here again and again, but I don't recall ever seeing that guitar again.

I'd love to hear what happened to that guitar. I'd love to purchase it too, but I'm not sure if I'm in a position to do so right now. But, if the current owner wants to discuss the possibility, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for your help!

magnus02

Silver Supporting Member
I remember that guitar and as ironic as it is have come very close to posting threads like this before. It was a beaut with a great story. I obviously can't help you out but good luck and if you find it and then flip it let me know!

I remember that guitar as well and would love to know what happened to it and what it looks like now. Great thread. Thanks for posting.

backdrifter

Found this old thread and is this the Collings you are talking about (on pages 3 and 4)?

https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index.php?threads/guitar-w-burned-finish.641043/page-3
That's the one! Thanks for finding that!

Thanks for all of the posts too. I'm glad I'm not the only one that remembers that guitar. If I recall correctly, there was a whole thread dedicated to that guitar. I sure can't find it though. And then, I think the guitar was sold in the forum here. I'm hoping someone will remember names. I'll try PMing the gentleman that posted the pictures in the thread above.

Thanks again, everyone!

stevieboy

Clouds yell at me
Gold Supporting Member
Since we're on the subject, and the OP has his answer, I wonder if anyone remembers this one. Longer ago than the Morgan Music fire, but not so long that it was before internet discussion boards, I remember threads (and I may not have been on TGP yet) about a music store fire. I may have the details all wrong, but it seems to me that it involved Rockin' Robin in Houston. And maybe not the store itself, maybe a storage place, or maybe they just had the guitars at Rockin' Robin after the fact, but there were four or five that had been damaged in a fire, and I think the damage was more water damage. And I think they were Teles. And they looked pretty interesting.

Anyway, my memory is vague, but does anyone else recall something close enough to this to be this?

backdrifter

Thanks again for posting that, BigAl! Unfortunately, so far it took me to a dead end. I contacted RCCola, who posted those photos, and he remembers the guitar well, but doesn't have any more details. I think I'll post those photos here, in case it will jog someone's memory. I think I'll reach out to Collings too, in case they know anything. Still looking for leads on this guitar, thanks!

backdrifter

Thanks again for all the help!

Earlier today, I asked a friend of mine who is Collings-crazy. Turns out he remembered seeing a photo of the guitar on a "Collings Enthusiast" group on FaceBook recently. He was able to give me the member's name, and I contacted him through FaceBook. No response yet, but hopefully soon.

I'll update the thread if anything happens - thanks again, everyone!

Trending Topics