Looking for a guitar tech in Atlanta.

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Thelonius, May 20, 2005.

1. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

I tried a place off of 85 north of the perimeter and was less than satisfied with the work. Any suggestions of were I can go to get my LP fixed from my last attempt?

2. KLB

KLB Member

What kind of work do you want done?
    What don't you like about the previous attempt?

- Ken

3. Thelonius

Thelonius Member

I took my LP in the get an RS kit installed (pots and caps) and new pickups installed.

When I got it back, they didn't install the pots because they felt the gibson pots were better than the CTS pots. That was irritating, but they didn't, in their defense attempt to charge me for work not done or anything. Also on the pickups they replaced them, but one of the pickups are extremely loose in the cavity, to the point that if I move around much while playing it will bang against the side of the cavity.

I'm not really sure where the disconnect occured. I've seen examples of the work this shop has done and it has been terrific. I honestly assume the issue is my inexperience with dealing with techs and I somehow must not have been clear enough in what I wanted done (though the pickup is just a pure mess up).

Anyway, in the short term I need to just get my pickup fixed, and in the long term I need to find someplace I can trust to do anything.

4. KLB

KLB Member

You probably need longer and/or stiffer springs for the loose pickup to add more tension and hold it better in place. (Neck pickup?)

I would have wanted them to contact me at the point they had an opinion about not replacing the pots. RS Guitarworks is known for their 550K+ value pots, which can help open up a neck pickup. It worked for me!

Pickup swapping is relatively simple for a tech to do -- except on a hollowbody guitar.

I wish I could suggest a particular place to do the work. I am able to swap pots/pickups myself, and I send fretwork out of town to Joe Glaser. Next time I will try Suhr.

Hopefully, someone here will suggest a good local tech.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

6. reentune

reentune Supporting Member

Look up Ray Chesna. Hopefully he's in the phone book.
    He used to be the head tech at Matt Umanov in NYC.
    He lives near the YMCA off Clairmont Rd.
    He's top-notch.

7. Red Planet

Red Planet Member

You wont find another guy in Atlanta that is more Honest than Kerry. On top of that he knows what hes doing. He dosent charge an arm and a leg either (he should).

Kerry is the Man!:AOK