Looking For A Guitar Tuner

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Blue Fin, Jan 4, 2008.

1. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Can anyone suggest a decent guitar tuner. My old Korg seems to be ready to quit after about 25 years.

Thanks.

2. alfa156

alfa156 Member

I find the Peterson Strobo Stomp an excellent piece of kit.

Happy New Year to all good people here from Ireland

3. plexirocker 68

plexirocker 68 Member

Turbo tuner from Sonic research. A real strobe tuner that tracks quicker than the Peterson for $129.00

Korg DT-10. Not a strobe but still pretty good/accurate, although for 30 more bucks I'll take a strobe every time.

plexi

4. blood5150

blood5150 Member

I just cant bring myself to pay that much for a tuner...

I think the boss tu-2 is good.... i do however, run it through the tuner out on my EB volume pedal, so its not really in my chain...

Happy New Year to you too.

5. d-b

d-b Member

Peterson=accuracy=happiness!!!

6. neil99

neil99 Member

I am pretty happy w/ my Kork DT-10.

7. Grap

Grap Member

I'm happy with a TU-2 right at the front of my signal chain (unless the Mr Crybabay Vol/Wah is in front of the board).

Other tuners I use or have used recently:

Fender Sparkle Tune - I have this in-line on my Boss BCB-60 board. I always switch it off when it's not in use because the reference tone is audible on the tail of notes when it's active. It fits in the space, it's useable for quick checks on a string or two between songs, but I wuldn't buy one again.

Fender ST-1 Stage Tuner. - Great visible display but, and it's a big but, when I had it in my board, not in the signal path but running from the same daisy chain as everything else I was getting all sorts of nasty intermittent hums and buzzes. I blamed them on the power supply or interference. Turns out it was the ST-1. For thsi reason I'd say that it's one to avoid if you want to run it on external power.

Ibanez LU-10. I bought this to replace the ST-1. Again, it's out of the signal path (runs from either the right channel output of my Korg G4 or its headphone socket if I'm running the board in stereo). No noise problems with it as yet, but it's "twitchy", as in very sensitive to the way the pitch of a plucked string varies slightly as the note decays.

Yes, on two out of three of my boards I have non-muting tuners, because I've no space for them. If I ever have to really re-tune when I'm using one of these boards I'll hit my amp's standby while I'm doing it.

8. Blue Fin

Blue Fin Member

Thnaks for the info.

9. daddyo

daddyo Guest

I have a Peterson Strobostomp 1. Love the accuracy and features. Hate the fact that the jacks crackle and pop and go dead. I know that changing the jacks to steel ones is a fix but why should I have to? I've used it on only a dozen gigs so it's not like it gets hard use. There is a new Korg out that is super accurate. For gigs, I'd just go TU 2. Accurate enough and built like a tank.

10. alfa156

alfa156 Member

''I just cant bring myself to pay that much for a tuner...''

...imported it from the US. Still far cheaper than buying this side of the pond. I know the subject is tuners but...eg. priced a Eric Johnson strat here at 2,300 euro...les paul standard 2,500 euro, probably get them cheaper shopping around but not much. Convert that into dollars but be sure you're sitting down!!!

Tom

11. A440

A440 Silver Supporting Member

12. digthosetubes

digthosetubes Senior Member

I have the new Peterson Strobo Flip. LOVE IT. Nice compact package. Easy to use.

I love this tuner. Weirded me out at first until I got the hang of it. Now it's simplicity iteself. What's so good is just a slight touch of the string and that will last 20 or more seconds, easy. Plenty of time to back off the string and bring it slowly up to perfect pitch. Very sensitive and accurate. As in REALLY. Well worth the $179. I haven't tried the line through -- just plug in the jack or use the built in mike for acoustics. Had a Korg tuner forever. This new one blows the Korg away.

13. stratmaster48

stratmaster48 Member

peterson strobostomp...hands down best tuner

14. gtrshow

gtrshow Member

+1 on the Kork DT-10. ;) I now have one on both of my boards.

15. motis1953

motis1953 Member

Boss TU-2. Easy to use and very practical. I use it inline and can tweak a slightly out of tune string in between songs in about two seconds. When you step on it, it essentially works as a standby switch while you tune. In South Florida the weather is a constant source of tuning aggravation due to constant and extreme changes in temperature and humidity. This tuner makes life easy.