Looking for a half rack reverb...Nanoverb maybe?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Gi-gi-giggity, Oct 5, 2006.

1. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I don't want a pedal, nor do I really want a full spack rack unit. I'm borrowing a buddies Yamaha R100 and it sits nice and snug right on top of my amp running through the effects loop...just to add a tinsy bit of verb. I'm suprised at how decent it sounds. So in an effort to serve my purpose and not go overboard, I'm looking at different half rack verb units. The Nano gets pretty good reviews...anyone have or try one? How about suggesting something else.

Thanks

2. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

Just day before yesterday I managed to get an Alesis Microverb ll at a thrift store bargain bin shop for a couple dollars . . . it needed pots cleaned, and a power supply.

It works with a range of presets: 16 of them. Gates, short, medium and long.
    It has a a Defeat jack in the back and stereo (L&R) ins and outs.

When I plugged it in I was blown away! first thing was how quiet it was!
    It was as if it wasn't there. Then the reverb itself: very nice, not synthetic sounding in the least. and since I also recently got a tank-based Sunn0)) PA that I will use as a preamp with its spring reverb, and, am working on restoring a very old KAY 'Beautiful Girls of Wisconsin' spring unit, I am not at all bothered by the supposed lack of versatility that presets will bring - and really, with 16 presets, a mix knob and a jack for a Defeat button, how can it really be called 'not versatile'?

And even if you don't find one for $2 dollars at a Thrift, they are pretty cheap on eBay

3. OOG

OOG Member

Lexicon LXP 1

4. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I've thought about those too. Didn't they also have another 1/2 space LXP 5? I vaugely remember how to work them though. I like the idea of just turning a few knobs to get a quick setting and just leaving it. Kind of hard to kind an LXP 1 anymore too.

5. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

I was going to suggest the Boss SE-50? 1/2 rack with a pretty broad spectrum of effects available, great sounds, actually studio quality. Only two drawbacks I can see-deep menus for programming and the wall wart weighs a ton! Otherwise, they sell for just over $100.

6. drolling

drolling Member

The Nanoverb's the 1st generation of Chinese-made Alesis gear, and the quality of the reverbs are nothing like Micros that preceeded it. The other effects (flange, rotary speaker..) are just dreadful.

I've got one & I wouldn't recommend it..

7. Gi-gi-giggity

Gi-gi-giggity Member

I actually just snatched up an LXP 1. Seemed like I didn't find any when I did a recent search.
    I was very tempted to get the LXP 15, but that would end up being more than I really need.

You know how it goes..."well, for a few more dollars the next best unit will do THIS! And for a few more than that, you can get THIS...etc., etc."
    Vicious cycle

8. Matt Gordon

Matt Gordon Senior Member

I have one too, I wouldn't give it away for fear I'd pissoff someone. Mine is a hiss machine. My vote is the Boss VF-1. I have one, sounds great.

9. pfflam

pfflam Silver Supporting Member

That's a shame cause this Microverb is awesomeness; solid, small, quiet and really natural sounding.