Looking for a higher gain "heavy" pedal

zmobley84

I want something heavy, but I don't play metal (although some occasionally palm muting does occur).

I'm more into alternative/grunge/indie rock.

I already have a Hoof, a Plimsoul, and a Fat Sandwich on my board. Not looking for anything redundant.

Not really looking for something based on a RAT either. I have one, and I felt like I could get RAT sounds I liked better from the pedals already on my board.

FWIW, I play fairly high gain humbuckers into an Ampeg V4.

Any recommendations?

zmobley84

Soothsayer or LSTR.
I feel like having a Hoof and LSTR on my board would be a little too redundant.

The Soothsayer does sound good, but I wasn't really satisfied with my stock RAT on my board, so I'm hesitant to buy something based off the RAT, even though the demos sound killer.

theroan

The Bogner Red is the best high pedal I have ever played and I've tried them all. The new Carl Martin Plexitone is good runner up.

R.C.Moran

Gold Supporting Member
Boss DA-2.
Definitely a great option. How heavy though? Check out the Rivera Metal Shaman. I know you don't play metal, but some of the best rock in history was made with the Boss HM-2, so hey, don't knock it till you've tried it right?

Bieling3

I think I've read somewhere that the Plimsoul is basically a RAT with some different clipping options so you're probably right that it'd be redundant. What you need is a Fuzz Face variant, although for the life of me I can't think of anyone in those genres that used one except maybe later Pavement with Stephen Malkmus using a Fuzz Factory. There is also the Edward Collins "Girl Like You" Tone Bender type fuzz. Spacehog, Kula Shaker... maybe it's be easier if you named some specific bands?

Serenity

Maybe have a look at something like the Ramble FX Marvel Drive. It's a plexi in a box pedal, won't to do the full-on metal thing, but it does have a lot of gain on tap when both volumes are dimed. If you need more gain than this offers, then maybe the Wampler Sovereign.

Trending Topics