Looking for a Higher wattage, efficient speaker for Classic 30

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ledzep618, Feb 15, 2015.

1. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

I really love the clean sounds from this amp and want to maximize headroom. I know that 30 watts only gives you so much headroom, but I also know the volume knob goes a longer way with a louder speaker. I have a WGS Reaper in there now and it sounds really nice, but WGS speakers seem to be lower efficiency than their Celestion counterparts, though measurements can vary by manufacturer.

I'm thinking about a Scumback 65 Watt H, or maybe a 65 Watt Scumnico. Alternatively maybe bringing out the big guns and getting an EVM12L, or WGS 12L. Any ideas?

2. dmagalhaes

dmagalhaes Member

Look no further than a Cannabis Rex. I had a V30 in my Classic 30 for probably 15 years and tried the C-Rex on a whim. I freaking love that speaker in that amp....

3. Category 5

Category 5 Member

try the new peacemaker from asw, my new fav speaker, and i'm running them in 20 watt amps that can keep up with a drummer unmixed.

donr

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Well scumbacks are 99db and 98db rated, your current reaper is 98.7db. Your not gaining anything really as far as actual headroom goes. Actually stepping backwards a bit with scumnico.

CRex mentioned above is 102db so that will give you a nice headroom bump. Seems you prefer Brit voiced though so I'd point you to a tone tubby 40/40, its 101db and voiced more like a Celestion just with a slightly extended bass response, just roll your bass back a notch and you'll have that Brit voicing. It handles sparkling fender cleans all the way up to classic Boston and iron maiden/metal tones wonderfully.

If you like soul, funk, blues and classic Gary Moore, Leslie west and BTO rock type tone you won't find a better speaker than the Alltone (Reverend/Naylor) 12100. It's 100db, a little looser than TT 40/40 hemp on bottom a bit and a hair brighter on top. It'll do Funk 49, Layla, Clapton, ABB tones and Brit blues brilliantly. It'll start falling apart with hard fuzz and hard metal tones, but with fuzzier stuff most people prefer that speaker breakup any way. Just don't expect good Nu-metal tones out of it. Dirty hairy slide guitar stuff it's fantastic.

5. GCDEF

GCDEF Supporting Member

Yep. A Cannibus Rex or one of Emminence's similar offerings.

6. ledzep618

ledzep618 Supporting Member

Thanks guys, I think I will try a Cannabis Rex. I tried it once before in a DRRI and remember it being a bit muffled, but didn't give it much time to break in before I flipped it. I know the hemp cones take a long time to get loose.

The Classic 30 has much, much more top end than the DRRI though, so I bet it will work well to smooth it out. And it should definitely do the loud and clean thing. The dirt that I get from my Skreddy Lunar Module sounds so much better than the amp cranked up that I really just want this thing to be a clean machine at gig volumes.

7. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

I had a Classic 30 a while back and it sounded great with a Eminence Wizard. This speaker is similar to a Celestion G12H30, also called the anniversary.

8. NortheastHick

NortheastHick Supporting Member

I put a v30 in a c30 a while ago and it made the amp way louder. so much so that i went back to the bm so i could play it at reasonable volumes.

9. 71strat

71strat Member

Buy a Blown JBL E120.

Send it to A Brown Sound for a Hemp Cone.

150 Watts RMS and 103db efficiency.