Looking for a list of Preamp Tube Types I can use in a 5E3

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by SonexReducer, Apr 27, 2015.

1. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

My tube guy (not an amp guy) wants to know what tubes I want to try in my 5E3 before I come over so he can go through the "tube pile" first. I've looked for the definitive list of preamp tubes I can use in my Tweed Deluxe but cant find one, can anybody help me out?

Thanks.

2. Kurzman

Kurzman Supporting Member

You want a 12AY7 in V1 (the first tube on the right, looking at the back).
    The speaker makes the most difference in a 5E3 but you need the 12AY7.

3. swiveltung

swiveltung Member

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Is this a real 5e3, they have tube chart on inside usually.

[​IMG]

http://fenderguru.com/amps/deluxe-5e3

12ay7/6072 in v1. Sylvania are my fav of these, especially the 6072.
    12ax7 or maybe a 5751 in v2 if you want to tame it a bit.

Vintage Sylvania or RCA blackplates in either of those positions would win extra mojo points to me.

5. straightblues

straightblues Member

6. joelster

joelster Silver Supporting Member

Well... you can kinda use anything.

A 12AU7 will have the lowest gain. The amp will sound fine but might be a little tame. A 12AY7 is what the circuit was designed for and will sound best. A 12AV7 is very similar but can be found really cheaply. They were computer tubes but sound pretty good. A 12AT7 will have more gain than those so things'll be grittier. A 12AX7 will work but has too much gain. Still sounds pretty cool in a Neil Young sorta way.

I have a 5E3 with a switch to remove the bypass cap on V1a to reduce gain. That way I can use either a 12AX7 instead of a 12AY7 and still have the amp behave as it should. Or flip the switch with the 12AX7 for the hairy Neil Young sound!

Found this over at TDPRI:

[​IMG]

7. Timbre Wolf

Timbre Wolf GoldMember Supporter Gold Supporting Member

Hah! Interesting to see how stuff gets around. I compiled and posted that original table a long time ago - on the Weber VST board. Looks like someone else liked it and labeled it "Table 1".

Glad it is useful.

- Thom

Bullhonky Deluxe likes this.
  8. TNJ

TNJ Gold Supporting Member

Just picked up a GE NOS 6072 for my 5e3 V1 slot.
    Mullard 12ax7 in V2.

This amp is certainly growing on me!

S.
    j

9. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

This is a giant can of worms waiting to be opened. Before you start rolling tubes, What kind of guitar are you using? pickups? speaker? desired tone "in your head"? I had a vicky 5e3 that i went on a massive rolling project and in the end while I settled on a variety of different things, one particular item item i was turned onto way after the fact and humongous expense could have saved a lot of time. I dont have the amp any more ( dont ask)but I know what I had in it.

Details my friend details. Who made the am, guitar and pickup, and expectations. Then we can talk tubes. JUST my opinion from experience .

10. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    In short, the most likely candidates are 12AY7 (the stock tube for V1), 12AX7 (the stock tube for V2), 5751, 6072A (high grade 12AY7), 12AT7. 12AU7 is unlikely to yield useful results due to extremely low gain, but try one. Experience is important.

11. donnyjaguar

donnyjaguar Member

Re-wire it for a 6GH8A pentode/triode. :) The triode side is about the same as stock but you'll get bags more gain from the pentode side. I can supply schematic if interested.

12. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

13. TNJ

Thanks to Blue Strat for the tubes!

This is a Todd Shock built 5e3 112 combo, old pine cab (built by the guy who used to build for Blues Pearl).
    It has a switch that enables the amp to use 6L6s, but I haven't used it.
    It has a vintage 1961 Jensen P12Q that I snagged from the bay in pristine condition(never reconed). V1=Sovtek 12ay7 (soon to be NOS 6072c), V2=Mullard 12ax7, (2) J/J 6v6s, NOS GE 5YGT3 rectifier.
    2 Normal inputs, 2 Treble inputs (which one do you all use?).
    I play either a Strat (custom fat 50 pickups, alder body, rw board) or Tele
    (Danocaster RF style, ash body, rw board, with Florence Voodoo TE60 pups…soon to arrive!).
    A little delay…that's it.
    I dig a bit of clean headroom, but love that Tweed breakup tone as well.
    This amp does both.

S.j

Last edited: May 9, 2015
  14. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Wow, all that blueprinting and you've still got JJ 6V6s? Go therefore and find some NOS or ANOS ones. I particularly like the French ones in tweed builds: Mazda, Visseaux and so on, but the traditional sound would be RCA or maybe Sylvania.

15. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Have you tried running JJ 6v6 in the 6L6 mode, there rumored to be tough enough to take it? I know it works in a vht 12/20 but of course short tube life, but JJ are cheap.

16. TNJ

I will tell you what…
    With the GE 6072/Mullard 12ax7/JJ 6V6s/GE 5Y3GT…and the '61 Jensen P12Q…wow.

That's all I can say…this amp has truly come alive. I kicked on a little Klon with the Strat (no gain) for clean boost, and a little ND-01 Delay.
    Done…gigging tone/gigging volume achieved. All in a much lighter weight package than any of my other amps!

I can't believe I've owned this amp for about 5 years and have played it only a handful of times…at home.

I'm going to gig with the big band in a couple of weeks…mic it up and tear it apart.

Thanks to all who have helped me learn to unleash this beast!

My good friend Teleking has some majorly nice tweeds.

Time for a little a/b testing as well.

:banana

S.
    j

Last edited: May 9, 2015