Looking for a loud home-use amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hereandgone18, Apr 15, 2016.

1. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Hi folks, I could use some amp advice. My band practices at my house, and at least for the time being, is using electronic drums. So our volume is manageable, but we still play pretty loud.

I currently have an Egnater Tweaker 15 head and cab, and really like it. I like having cleans from the amp and dirt from the pedals, and usually have the volume around 1-2 pm with the gain low. I really like that amp a lot, but I'm looking for another to complement it.

I need something with a similar volume range as the Tweaker, give or take, that friends can use when they come over, or that I can use as a change of pace. I need cleans from an amp that takes pedals well. (I had a DRRI and liked the sound, but it was too much amp for me, so I sold it.). A headphone jack and effects loop would be neat, but neither is necessary. I'm open to tube or SS. We play rock-ish stuff, but nothing overly heavy. I have a variety of guitars (SG with humbuckers, Tele, Mustang, P-90 Godin), so flexibility is good.

I'm thinking something along the lines of a PRRI, AC15, etc., but could use some guidance. Thanks for any suggestions.

2. Antlerface

Antlerface Member

Tube - The Tiny Terror is cool if you don't use a bunch of mod effects. Or a Blues Jr.

SS - Fender Frontman on the (astounding) clean channel and ALL the effects right up front.

dwoverdrive likes this.
  3. Dawg76

Dawg76 Silver Supporting Member

4. Serenity

Serenity Member

Have a look at the new Supro range, they're producing some great amps, definitely worth a look as an alternative to the Princeton or AC15.

5. Spuddy

Spuddy Member

Laney lionheart or as said blues Jr or hughes & kettner tubemeister. All are cracking amps.

Cgkindler likes this.
  6. Cgkindler

Cgkindler Member

May I recommend a Peavy Bandit? Red Stripe is what I have, though I bet any will do.

I found mine for $100.....you can get one for that or a little more, and truly, you will have an EXCELLENT amp that can GET WORK DONE!

The amp by itself is excellent, and I can attest to no small degree that it LOVES pedals, and also LOVES modelers.....be it in the front on the clean channel on Modern, or simply plugged right into the back, using the Resonance to adjust for the amount of highs you need.

A speaker swap might be good, depending on what you like, but thus far the Shelfield that came with it is doing excellent.

I hope you can find one locally in your craigslist or something, so you can try it out......really a great amp for less than the cost of almost ANY of my pedals....

Good luck - I hope you find what you're looking for!

therealjoeblow likes this.
  7. BelgPJ

BelgPJ Member

Bad Cat Black Cat or Cub range. Clean to grit, 15W with half power or K Master (latest models) that love pedals. Some good used market deals around

8. dwoverdrive

dwoverdrive Supporting Member

+1 on both of these. And yes, the Frontman cleans are fantastic.

9. Trey nor

Trey nor Member

What you described is pretty much how I use my Mustang III, v2. At 100 watts, it can get quite load, and it has great very near tube tone. I have three presets I normally use - '68 Custom DRRI, Blues Deluxe and Hiwatt Custom Combo 20. With both the 4 button and two button footswitches I can get to my presets and effects easily. And it takes pedals well, has a headphone output, line in and USB recording out. In total I've got $315 in this rig...all gear purchased new.

I also have the AC15C1 which to my ears has beautiful tone. But it doesn't offer the flexibility it seems you are seeking.

Here's a demo clip of my favorite preset from intheblues (Shane):

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  10. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Thanks for all the helpful replies, folks. I've got some homework to do... :beer

It seems that lots of people have good things to say about the Mustang, though that was an amp series I hadn't considered before. I wouldn't have a whole lot of need for on-board effects, is the "rest" of the amp still worthwhile? Thoughts on II vs III?

11. Badfrog

Badfrog Member

Sorry if I missed it..... what is your budget?

Phletch likes this.
  12. hereandgone18

hereandgone18 Member

Good point, sorry to leave that out. I'd ideally like to stay within the 4-500 range (used is fine), but can probably stretch beyond that if I move some other gear.

Going lower than that would help me maintain wife-happiness though... And I'm not one to automatically equate higher prices with higher quality.

deathrider817 likes this.
  13. ES330

ES330 Member

14. FFTT

FFTT Member

Fender Rumble 500 soiled state Bass Rig like $550.00

Add pedals, perfect for Doom on the cheap.

15. Seance

Seance Member

I know this is a typo (probably Auto-corrected), but I really
    think you've discovered something enticing.

"Soiled state amplifiers" sound so dirty and gritty. Sign me up!

Seriously though. I've seen that one video of a guy playing
    guitar through a Fender Rumble V2 amp and it sounds good.
    But he's also playing along to a live track, so it's hard to
    really tell how much of that is the amp and how much of
    that is... the Rolling Stones.

I'd be interested to see/hear more examples of people using
    the Fender Rumble with guitar.

16. FFTT

FFTT Member

I doubt there's a usable 500 watts, but it should have way plenty clean headroom reserve to support detuned guitars and pitch shifting lows.
    Interesting it has a drive channel on the 500.

17. therealjoeblow

therealjoeblow Member

+1 on the Red Stripe Bandit. Very tube-like, and awesome for all genres from clean, to blues to crunch to hard rock to full-on metal. Extremely versatile at all volume levels, but can get as loud as a stack if you want/need...

Check this video out and tell me if you can tell the difference between the JVM and the Bandit... I couldn't the first time I watched it...

Those tones are all from the amp on its own, but believe me, the clean channel takes pedals of all kinds very well. I use mine with a Wampler SuperPlextortion, Wampler Pinnacle Deluxe and a Carl Martin Plexitone for dirt on the clean channel, but I also often use the drive channel on its own and boost it with a Bad Monkey. It takes that just as well and responds exactly like a good tube amp would. And on top of all that, it has an extremely transparent and noise-free FX loop that works as well with stand-alone pedals and boards as it does with modelers. I use a Boss GT-10 in my loop for effects only (delay, reverb, chorus - the amp modeling is turned off). It sounds fantastic. Like I said, *very* versatile and great sounding amps!

Plus they go for $100 in like-new condition on the used market all day long. I actually have 2 of these in addition to a couple of high end tube amps (Marshall and Hiwatt), and I use the Bandits a lot more than the big boys!

Cheers
    TRJB

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  18. Slashaholic Anonymous

Slashaholic Anonymous Supporting Member

Blackstar ID:30. Best modeling amp I've ever owned. Some decent built in effects, but mostly just sounds really really close to a tube amp.

The new Marshall CODE amps also look promising.

Jet City JCA20 (head or combo) would also work. 20 tube watts, takes pedals just fine, not a lot of $$.

deathrider817 likes this.
  19. Clark GriswoId

Clark GriswoId Supporting Member

Blues jr., you can also find HRD's and Deville's in the 400/500 range on craigslist AND have room to talk the price down.

Here are some good Tucson CL listings:

http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/5517312915.html

http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/5526823223.html

http://tucson.craigslist.org/msg/5547005566.html -- micro terror and 1x12

Last edited: Apr 20, 2016
  20. lespaulnmarshall

lespaulnmarshall Member

Blues junior is a wonderful amp for the money. I hear some complaints here and there about fizzy top end etc... Personally never thought that is actually the case. A stock Blues jr is just a very nice compact amp at a very reasonable price. Great pedal platform.