Looking for a Low Watt Marshall sounding bedroom/practice amp? Bumbox?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ganon, Sep 14, 2006.

1. ganon

ganon Member

Need some recommendations for a low watt (5 watts or less) tube amp head for bedroom/practice use that I can fully push for power tube distortion that won't blow my ears out. I have a JCM 800 and a SFPR now. I use the Princeton Reverb with an OD pedal now for practice and lower volume playing but still too loud to rock out. Looking for a good fat Marshall tone for chunky rhythmn sounds that I can push the amp all the way for searing leads and distortion. Basically looking for my Marshall at full bore just a more sane levels. I know this has been discussed before and I have searched the past posts. Looks like the Bumbox Lead 1 is the closet think to what I am looking for. However, not to impressed with the clips on the website. Anyone have one that can chime in. The Fargen Mini-Plex looks good, but might still be too loud at 8 watts. I really like the idea of having a master and full tone controls that the Bumbox has. I also had a THD Univalve in the past and that was too loud and not a fan of attenuated sounds so want to stay away from that. Is there anything else out there that fits this the bill? Trying to stay away from buzy sounds heads, really looking for that authentic Marshall crunch. Will be running it through a Jenkins 2x12 cab with Greenbacks. Thanks!

2. ganon

ganon Member

3. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

As has been covered, even a 1/2 watt amp is not a whole lot quieter than a 50 watt amp. A 5w amp can still be really loud in your bedroom!

Not tube, but I use a LovePedal "vintage" style 1/2 watt amp, it's a lot of fun. Z-Vex makes a mini tube head...

You might also check out the Dr. Z Mini-Z (or ask to see if he'll make a mini head-only version for you)...

http://www.kingsleyamplifiers.com/deluxe_series/deluxe_1/deluxe_1.html is another one.

There's a lot out there, check out the forum's search function... words like "bedroom" and "amp" in the same search should get you there...

4. ganon

ganon Member

Thanks..been searching alot on the forum...just trying to narrow it down to what will work best for me...I agree 1 watt is more than enough! So far the Bumbox Lead 1 head looks like the ticket.

5. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

There are more than several kits for low wattage amps, too...

These are only $99 on MF website (click for link)... they're 5w:
    [​IMG]
    I've heard good things about 'em, and they should be really easy to trick out if you want... $99 and running seems like a great place to start.

6. sinner

sinner Member

Two words: Power Scaling...well three words: Soultone45. If you got to have the real sound at any volume and are very hard to please and can afford it, well that's what I would do.

7. outtahear

outtahear Supporting Member

The AX-84 P-1 (AX-84.com) cranked can get classic rock Marshallesque tones, the H.O. can get 800+ Hi Gain vibe ..@5 watts O' tube fury! THIS...[​IMG] is 10 watts-not horrible for S.S.(swapped grille cloth w/an offcut from the shop) the G.C. change w/beam blocker cut down on the hi-end. $27 on the 'Bay.

8. r9player

r9player Silver Supporting Member

Nothing sounds like a good Marshall .. Fender .. anything amp unless you have really good headphones or if you are willing to play between 2-5 watts imho.
    I like Maven Peal amps if you want 2-5 watts or 25-50 watts all in the same package.
    With Good Headphones you have a lot more options (iso cabs for example)

9. dazco

dazco Member

I know you said tubes. But if you never tried one of those 80's marshall lead 12's they're great for that purpose. 12 watts, 10" speaker, master volume. You'll never find a tube amp small enough to get much or any quieter than these, and the sound is pure marshall. IMO the 80's solid state marshalls were one of the most realistic sounding SS amps ever. And they sound more like a marshall tha many marshall tube amps. They also sound great cranked which is amazing for a SS amp. If you've never had one you should seek one out if you can, tho they're a bit rare. Not hard to find online, but may be hard to find locally to demo. They made one with reverb too but it's even harder to find.

10. outtahear

......low watts is cool, but getting the speakers' cone a-flappin @ it's limits helps as well. If you can find a quad of old 5 watt 12" 'ers and drop 'em in a 4-12" cab....

11. hw2nw

hw2nw Member

I take it you saw the thread on the new Marshall? that'd be perfect.

12. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

[​IMG]
    This looks interesting... (click pic)...

It's got a tuner, 4 modes of DSP amp, 5w, matching extension cabinet, plays iPod/MP3 player... $129...

13. outtahear

14. Darkburst

Darkburst Member

It's not tube, but the Tech 21 Trademark 10 does a decent Marshall at low volumes. Good for practice.

15. 56_Special

56_Special Member

+1 on Power Scaling. I haven't tried a Soultone 45 but they are certainly drool worthy. I installed Power Scaling on my Certiaton 18 Marshall clone and I couldn't be happier.

Best,

Martin

16. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Marshall Studio 15. It's got a built in attenuator and it's a real Marshall should you get the opportunity to crank it for real. Even has a headphone jack. Very cool amp.

17. Scumback Speakers

Scumback Speakers Gold Supporting Member

Why not get the AC adapter, and go for the original "Marshall bedroom amp"?
    [​IMG]

18. Jeff Flowerday

Jeff Flowerday Member

Bad Cat Mini Cat II head. Has more gain than it's predecesor.

I've got the combo, with a G12H30 Heritage in it and love it.

19. dverna

dverna Member

Wait a minute, this thing looks real interesting.... anybody have any experience with it? couldn't find any threads on it.

20. iggs

iggs Member

+1 on the B├╝mbox Lead1.