Looking for a Marshall Pinstripe cab in Los Angeles...

Scumback Speakers

Platinum Supporting Member
No, I don't want to buy one, but I would like to see one up close for about five minutes. The grill cloth is what I really want to see so I can see how it's made. I'm contemplating taking on a project to replicate the old pinstripe cloth.

I know...it's gonna be tough, but what the hell. I'm replicating the old tone with speakers, may as well give people the chance to replicate the look with the cab, too, right?

I'd appreciate it if someone can refer me to a pinstripe cab owner around th So Cal/Los Angeles area. Thanks!

humbucking

Jim, there was a guy over at the LPF who was hand making reproduction pinstripe. He was selling it on ebay & it was expensive! Rumor has it that he unknowingly used fake(repro) pinstripe as a model? I havent seen any in person, so I cant tell? Its very labor intensive! first you need the right cloth. then you need to apply the white rubber stripes, then you need to screen print on the greyish/black pattern on the white rubber!!!!!

Scumback Speakers

That's understandable. Would you like to hear what I think of the Reverend Billy? :cool:
Nah, that's ok. He's alright in my book. He actually was very cool while these two bozo members there gave me a hard time. He told them they were out of line and deleted multiple inflammatory posts and BS they spewed, so I have no gripe with Rev Billy. Sorry to hear you do, though.

Humbucking: I am aware of the LPF guy (awhile back now) who offered the hand painted cloth. Wasn't it like $300 per 4x12 piece? Do you have a link to a thread on that, by any chance?

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
In any case, good luck with the quest. I used to have a pinstripe cab, but I'm nowhere near LA, and I think my cab lives in Houston.

louderock

I have a '73 or '74 Marshall 4x12. Is this the one you're looking for? If not, I know a rental guy that would probably have one you could check out.

Scumback Speakers

I have a '73 or '74 Marshall 4x12. Is this the one you're looking for? If not, I know a rental guy that would probably have one you could check out.
No I'm afraid not. I have plenty of those already! But thanks! I'm talking about one that looks like this. They discontinued these in 1967.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Damn that looks sweet. I wish I still had mine... and the 50-watter that was sitting on top of it.

Purplexi

Yeah Jim, that's the real stuff alright. Also commonly known in the 60's UK as Gray "Snakeskin" grill cloth. There was a brownish-tan version available on TMB combo's and 4x12's too. They had an original roll of the brown stuff over at http://www.Ampaholics.org.uk for $1400 or so but it got snapped up. There is a photo of a BB combo repro that has pinstripe cloth, expertly hand painted by Mike Bacino. I can't seem to get a link going but it's over at PlexiPalace under,"Bluesbreaker recreation is finished"

908SSP

... I can't seem to get a link going but it's over at PlexiPalace under,"Bluesbreaker recreation is finished"

Here is my amp you're referring to. Not a bad repro pinstripe from Bacino, looks better in person the monitor always seems to mess with the random pattern. But he doesn't make pieces large enough for a 4x12.

mmorse

So Jim is off on another one of his crazy quests. What a loon! Oh wait... that's how we go the Scumback speaker line. Nevermind... carry on Jim. :dude

Scumback Speakers

So Jim is off on another one of his crazy quests. What a loon! Oh wait... that's how we go the Scumback speaker line. Nevermind... carry on Jim. :dude
Yes, Jim is off on another "How do we get the old stuff with current manufactured products?" quests.

I've been contacted by a few folks, Adam Grimm of Satellite Amps, and Udo Pepper (German guitarist). Udo is actually sending me a piece of the pinstripe cloth from an old Marshall PA column to examine.

Next step will be to get the cloth to my T-shirt guy who has contacts for lots of cloth suppliers and we'll go from there.

Trending Topics