• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

looking for a mid-priced solid body guitar with either mini-humbuckers or p90s...

rozonerecords

hey there, friends!
i'm looking for a mid-priced solid body guitar with either mini-humbuckers or p90s in it (les paul jr. stylez...).
any recommendations?

rozonerecords

i've been hearing a lot about these agile guitars lately...

how are the pickups?
are they good, or are they just good for a $300 guitar?

personally, i like my pickups nice and hot...

dspellman

i've been hearing a lot about these agile guitars lately...

how are the pickups?
are they good, or are they just good for a $300 guitar?

personally, i like my pickups nice and hot...
The Agiles are fairly faithful to the original Gibson P90, but they're not quite bang-on. I'd say "good" and not just "good for a $300 guitar."

Generally, winding a P90 "hot" is a bad idea (the noise increases exponentially), in part because they've got all they need as Gibson originally produced them. Quite a few manufacturers have underwound them to reduce the noise, but that pretty much emasculates them. I've tried several that sported magnet f*ckwithage, but while these modify the tone a bit, they're simply not worth the bucks (IMHO, YMMV, Hike Your Own Hike and all that). I actually prefer Gibson's originals to some of the "gentrified" stuff that the aftermarket guys are coming up with.

With one exception.

I'd put Kinman noiseless P90's in anything that was sporting P90's. They're pricey, but they do the best job of emulating the original while dumping the noise of anything on the market. www.kinman.com

dspellman

Yes they do.

And without ANY intention to insult those who own them or start a "comparison war", the Tributes are roughly comparable to a $250-300 range Korean guitar. Gibson has cheaped these down as far as it can, leaving off things like grain filler and eliminating the labor-intensive tasks required to develop a gloss finish.

The reason to buy one of these is that it's the least expensive way to get a real Gibson headstock and logo on a guitar that looks exactly like an LP should, for all the corollary reasons that people would want to do that. And that's a very good reason indeed.

silentbob

Yes they do.

And without ANY intention to insult those who own them or start a "comparison war", the Tributes are roughly comparable to a $250-300 range Korean guitar. Gibson has cheaped these down as far as it can, leaving off things like grain filler and eliminating the labor-intensive tasks required to develop a gloss finish.
Yeah, no chance of starting a problem with a comment like that.

:munch

cowboytim

Squie Custom Tele 2 with semore duncan P-90s $250 You tube that one and smile. I played one Makes me Smile.
I did buy Epiphone P-90 gold top and hotroded it with Tom Shorts P-90s and R&S pots. Great Guitar. Some of the best guitars Gibson makes are Epiphones. About lil less than $ 800 all together. me doing the work.
Mucho satisfaction moding.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom