1. The Rules have been updated regarding posting as a business on TGP. Thread with details here: Thread Here
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for a new bridge humbucker...any suggestions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Sonic Reducer, Jul 14, 2006.

1. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

For my R7. I currently have a set of WCR darkbursts with an RS Historic kit installed. I like the neck pickup. It's pretty sweet. I think the bridge pickup is a little thin and bright for a bucker. I was hoping for a thicker bridge pickup.

Any suggestions? I was thinking about the Goodwood. This doesn't have to be limited to WCR's.

2. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

I've allready purchased a RIO BBQ for the next time I need a bridge humbuker in a LP.

3. Wally1

Wally1 Member

I think the Goodwood would fit the bill just fine. It's incredibly thick and fat sounding. The cleans and split tones on the Goodwood are top notch too. This may be one of Jims most versatile bridge pickups. In the bridge I've tried Goodwoods, Fillmores, Shredders, and The Iron Man. I also have a Goodwood + coming this week (A goodwood with as many winds as Jim can squeeze on it!). WCR's Rock!!

4. planetal

planetal Member

I have a few LP's with WCR's.. I have both a Darkburst bridge and a Goodwood bridge (and a Timbucker as well) in a few separate LP's. The Goodwood is indeed a bit thicker than the Darkburst, although I don't find the Darkbursts particularly thin. But that just might be my amp&speaker combination and setup.

Al

5. omboy

omboy Member

I'm very happy with the Slugbucker by Zhangbucker in the bridge of my LP Custom. There are a metric s4!tload of good-sounding pickups on the market nowdays, though. . . good luck with your search!

6. Sonic Reducer

Sonic Reducer Member

anybody else? I was hoping to get some Goodwood feedback.

7. auburn-grad

auburn-grad Member

I have a set of Goodwoods in my R8 and I love them....they are extremely fat but they can also scream when you want them too.....they are very versatile...

8. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

No offense, but try adjusting the Darkburst height and pole pieces. I found it to be pretty smooth on my Prs. Thin and bright are not close to how I would describe the sound of mine.

Smooth and clear are how I would describe it. Actually, I thought it didn't have enough of a edge to me.

I have heard the Goodwood is pretty thick and nice though.

9. AJ Love

AJ Love Senior Member

Lollar makes the best Humbuckers I've personally ever heard

10. paintguy

paintguy Long Hair Hippy Freak Silver Supporting Member

Curious, have you tried any WCR'S?

11. EADGBE

EADGBE Member

A DiMarzio super distortion with a 3-way mini DPDT switch. This will give you series and parallel humbucking and single coil.

12. VanStone

VanStone Member

My favorite bridge pup for virtually any mahogany-based guitar is the Rio Grande BBQ. It has a classic sort of tone, but it's thicker and more punchy.

V