Looking for a new Effects board

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by steveatmojotone, Jan 10, 2006.

1. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Hey guys,
    Well I finally made it to TN and I am working on getting things rolling again. In the meantime, I am having a tone delima. Since I am living in smaller quarters, I am not able to use/play an amp for practice or jammin. So I have been using my Boss GT-6 (with good sounding monitors) and after playing around with various combinations I have not been happy with finding my tone. I have tried using various pedals in the effects loop and before the board, but they all end up sounding the same in the GT-6.

So I am in the quest of finding a board that sounds "alive", not processed sound. One thats good for direct recording as well as live through the PA or small amp.

For those wanting to know the tone(s) I seek:
    Clean: Fender Twin sound
    Little Dirty: light marshall crunch
    Dirt: Marshall 18 Watt Cranked/ Plexi
    Rip your face off: Krankenstein/Tri-Amp/5150

Warm sounding with harmonics

These are just a few tones I seek. I guess I need to put a seperate post in the Seller Section for the GT-6. Looking to trade or sell the GT-6.

Thanks
    Steve

2. Moe45673

Moe45673 Member

before you get rid of it, check out the atomic amp

www.atomicamps.com

Even if you still don't like your gt-6 through it, which I doubt, you can still use it for any other modeler you buy.

Also, check out our very own kewlpacks great site www.thestombox.net
    For amp modelling, he recommends the digitech gnx3K

I'd also suggest checking out a line 6 vetta II. Expensive, but really, really cool.

3. gomez1856

gomez1856 Member

Agreed. The atomic amps will add a great level of richness to the Boss. I was floored by what it did for my Pod when I tried it.

Truly a great amp/cab for modelers.

Rick

4. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

As much as I would love to run the GT-6 thru an tube amp, i am still in a situation that does not allow me to have an amp.

5. exodus

exodus Member

the entire v-stack line. best low volume amp-in-a-can tone out there imo.

6. Hamer95USA

Hamer95USA Member

Hey thevintagesound,

I use an SKB PS-45 pedalboard with the following:
    [​IMG][/IMG]

My signal chain is:

Guitar in
    VHT Valvulator In
    Area 51 wah pedal
    Analog Man Super mod DS-1
    Hughes & Kettner Tubeman preamp pedal (3 channel version)- has amp and P.A. outputs

Boss CE-2
    Boss OC-2
    MXR EVH Phase 90
    MXR 117R flanger
    Analog Man High Cut mod DD-2
    Boss RV-2

The H&K Tubeman preamp pedal has both an output to a power amp( or effects loop return to an amp head or combo amp) and direct out (Red Box cabinet simulator built into the preamp). What I can do is switch the audio output of the Tubeman from audio output to direct out by reconnecting one patch cable.

I find the sound of my Tubeman preamp pedal to nail the cleans and dirty tones of tube amp without having an amp in the studio, plugged straight into a mixer. It will cut through any digital modeling preamp because it's a real tube preamp being recorded. Sorry to say that and I'll probably upset the people who use digital modeling preamps such as the Line 6 POD users(I used to own and gig with a Yamaha DG Stomp digital modeling preamp/effects unit). After buying and playing the H&K Tubeman 2 years ago, I felt my Yamaha DG Stomp wasn't quite as full sounding and I put it up for sale.

If I amplify with an amp, I use this:
    [​IMG][/IMG]
    [​IMG][/IMG]

A Tech 21 Power Engine 60 to amplify the pedalboard. It has just a volume control and a 3 band active equalizer (to adjust for the room sound). I set the EQ at the Tubeman preamp.

With my humble pedalboard, I have the ability to plug into my Tech 21 Power Engine 60 combo amp for live playing or can plug into the studio mixer for recording with my analog effects. You might want to check out the H&K Tubeman preamp pedal. It's a very underrated piece of gear.

Guitar George

7. g-nem

g-nem Member

+1 on the tubeman- I've been using it straight into the PA for pop gigs and it sounds and feels great. Going through a PA does sound more like a recorded tone than a live tone but for pop gigs that is a good thing. I haven't liked it as much goin through my studio monitors for some reason.

8. nashvillesteve

nashvillesteve Member

How much would you unload the GT-6 for? Is that one that requires a special pickup, or can you just plug in? Does it do organ, strings, the whole nine yards? I'd love something like that to plug into my surround sound system for jamming at home at low volumes (plus I live in Nashville- no shipping!, let me know when you get your store going- I'd love to check it out)...

9. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Steve,
    The GT-6 does not require the special pickup like the Roland unit uses. So its straight in from your guitar. It can do some guitar synths and has a patch or two setup using the "Slow Gear" effect for the string tones. I have seen a few go for $240-250 on ebay plus shipping, but I'd let you have it for $220. Unless you happen to have a Vox Tonelab that you would like to trade for it.

As far as the store, that will be awhile (several months, since I just moved up here) right now I am doing things out of the house for now. Trust me, soon as I am able to get things up and running, you guys will be the first to know.

Steve

10. royd

royd Member

I have a Boss Amp Factory which I think is the best sounding of the digital amp simulators. It has 22 models each of which sounds pretty realistic and allows for a nice transition between clean and crunch as you roll that volume knob up and down. I've been using mine as an OD but have a pair of OD's coming soon to replace it. They lost out to the pod and vamp because they didn't have any effects, only amp simulations. You can preset one setting and have an additional manual one and it has line, guitar level, and digital out. They aren't available anymore but can be found used for pretty cheap (actually, I'd trade mine for a chorus or delay since it is being replaced on my board)

11. steveatmojotone

steveatmojotone Member

Thanks for all the input on the effects and such. Steve, let me know if you are interested in the GT-6.

12. Berlin Chris

Berlin Chris Member

I am using a Tech21 TRI-A.C. at home with good results - and the Tech21 is cheap!

Signal goes: guitar - Keeley comp - (insert your favourite OD/dist box) - TRI-AC (set to three different clean modes) - TC G-Force (or any other decent effects multi) - Behringer mixer - Yamaha active studio monitors.

The good thing about a setup like this is that it basically is the same as my live setup, but using the Tech21 as a "amp set clean".

Sounds better than any modelling device to my ears.