Looking for a new pedal board

VTReconcileD

Silver Supporting Member
Ok folks...I'm in the market for a new pedal board. I've been using a Temple Trio 28 for the past year or so and, while I like it, after spending the afternoon trying to get the plate adhesive off of some pedals that I want to sell, I'm pretty much done with it. It's a great idea, but I buy and sell pedals often enough that I just can't keep doing it.

So...that being said, does anyone have any recommendations? I mean, are there really any alternatives? I don't want to have to adhere something to my pedals, so no velcro. I had a holeyboard a few years back and used zip ties, but wasn't really a fan.

The only real alternative I've seen is the Monark (http://www.monarkpedalboards.us). They are relatively new, but does anyone have any experience with them? Any other options?

adolan

Just put tape on the pedals then velcro if you're that concerned, I personally really don't get the whole fuss about not putting velcro on pedals, if i have a rare pedal i don't want to damage i just put tape on it though i can clean velcro residues off of pedals without too much effort, ymmv tho.

flatulentmatt

Silver Supporting Member
I was going to suggest Monark. I haven't tried them, but man, they look a great option! I'm hoping at some point to replace my PT-Pro with one, but they're pretty expensive.

VTReconcileD

Silver Supporting Member
Just put tape on the pedals then velcro if you're that concerned, I personally really don't get the whole fuss about not putting velcro on pedals, if i have a rare pedal i don't want to damage i just put tape on it though i can clean velcro residues off of pedals without too much effort, ymmv tho.
I'm not concerned about the bottom of my pedals, I just really don't like messing with the adhesive. That's just me. As I mentioned, I tend to buy and sell a lot of pedals. So a board that is truly quick change and doesn't require any type of adhesive would be great.

tapeup

Butterscotch Supt. Member
The original poster mentioned this in his first post:

I had a holeyboard a few years back and used zip ties, but wasn't really a fan.
Sorry fellow members, was just trying to help and noticed you wrote a reply OP while I was typing mine.

Otto Tune

As someone who occasionally buys pedals, I don't get the big deal with leaving the Velcro on. I'm going to put my own on anyway, just declare it in the ad.
I've had pretty good luck removing Velcro by pulling gently and then going over the extra goo with a new piece of Velcro, the glue seems to pull the old gook off.
I know I've done way more damage with chemical cleaners like Goof-Off, since it dissolves the label or bar code, and worse yet Goo-Gone, which dissolves paint.

Maybe I should start a garage business selling blank panels to fit in place of standard sized pedal backs. Mine would come already with industrial Velcro or 3M mushrooms.
Keep your new back, install mine!

jb4674

Get an Aclam pedalboard. They have a system that allows you to place and lock your pedals on the pedalboard without using Velcro. They look a lot better than PedalTrain boards and they also offer tiers.

Squatch57

Those Aclam look pretty good, I like the idea of the narrow movable slats, versatile
I've resisted pedaltrains because of the wide immovable slats dictating which pedals I can use..

Last edited:

ummohyeah

I'm a big fan of building your own!

I don't know if you have access to basic tools or a space, but more people need to look into building their own, especially if they change pedals all the time. I have in my closet PT-1 and PT-3 size cuts that I was happy with... I spent maybe $10 on both? Took me about 30 minutes each, too -- much longer in debating pedal arrangement, but the actual work was minimal. Add more time for sanding/finishing if you feel so inclined.

I'd highly recommend buying a cheap flight case on Amazon and building a board to fit inside of it. I do it in a small apartment, just in the living room, with a hand saw (analog!), a pencil, and measuring tape.

VTReconcileD

Silver Supporting Member
Get an Aclam pedalboard. They have a system that allows you to place and lock your pedals on the pedalboard without using Velcro. They look a lot better than PedalTrain boards and they also offer tiers.
The Aclam boards seem to use the same mechanism as the Monark. But honestly, the Monark seems more robust. Also, the Aclam boards aren't as deep (I think only 11 inches deep vs 16 for the Monarch). Anyone with any experience with the Aclam smart boards?

4b454e

Platinum Supporting Member
I'm a big fan of building your own!

I don't know if you have access to basic tools or a space, but more people need to look into building their own, especially if they change pedals all the time. I have in my closet PT-1 and PT-3 size cuts that I was happy with... I spent maybe $10 on both? Took me about 30 minutes each, too -- much longer in debating pedal arrangement, but the actual work was minimal. Add more time for sanding/finishing if you feel so inclined.

I'd highly recommend buying a cheap flight case on Amazon and building a board to fit inside of it. I do it in a small apartment, just in the living room, with a hand saw (analog!), a pencil, and measuring tape.
+1 for DIY
+1 in a small apartment
+1 hand saw
+2 measure twice, cut once

4b454e

Platinum Supporting Member
Kudos for making your own board. But I see you're still using velcro. I'm trying to avoid that.
Sorry - jeez, that was the main question, wasn't it?

In one of these builds I was using a MF Delay. It has rubber feet and I wanted to keep them on, so I drilled out holes so the feet could stay on the pedal and the pedal could sit flush on the board. Wasn't totally secure though, so I used some...
Dangit!

There are some products that use the pedal's bottom plate holes to attach to a board. Something involving a link from a bicycle chain - where one hole attaches to the pedal and the other gets screwed into the board. Not bad but can be limiting or aggravating if you want to move pedals.
A similar concept involves mounting a plate to the bottom of the pedals and putting Velcro/dual lock on the plate instead of the pedal. I wonder whether you couldn't also stick Velcro to washers (or something else smaller than the pedal itself) and use those washers as feet, connecting them via the pedal's plate screws. You'd need to take care against scratching the pedal finish.

-Empire

Silver Supporting Member
Why are you trying to avoid velcro? It works fine for everyone else...

Nebakanezer

I bought some of the cheaply made plastic ones off of Reverb, that look like the bike chain links. 2 of them broke during the install of first 2 pedals I tried to mount. I am using an old gig rig board where the Velcro is not holding that good, especially when it was all packed up and moving around. But those things pissed me off that I grabbed a drill and turned it into a redneck holey board!!

Trending Topics