Looking for a new/used 12" combo: Markbass or ?

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
My wife is the primary bass player in our house and we're looking to upgrade her rig. She currently has a Peavey Max 112 amp to use for most gigs and a little Hartke A35 combo to use for home practice.
After playing a couple of gigs with the Peavey it was apparent to both of us the shortcomings of the amp, especially with the DI that has an awful inherent buzz. And it was a struggle getting a decent tone out of it.

I'm looking at upgrading her to the Markbass CMD 121P combo, but I'm interested to know if there are any other respectable alternatives. She's not really up on gear and I'm primarily a guitar player, so we're not sure what else is out there. The bassist in our band has a Markbass amp and it sounds excellent, so it seems like a logical route to go.

Her primary bass is an Ibanez SR505 5-string and she also uses an Ibanez SR370f fretless.

So, should we go with the Markbass or ?

Jeff Scott

My wife is the primary bass player in our house and we're looking to upgrade her rig. She currently has a Peavey Max 112 amp to use for most gigs and a little Hartke A35 combo to use for home practice.
After playing a couple of gigs with the Peavey it was apparent to both of us the shortcomings of the amp, especially with the DI that has an awful inherent buzz. And it was a struggle getting a decent tone out of it.

I'm looking at upgrading her to the Markbass CMD 121P combo, but I'm interested to know if there are any other respectable alternatives. She's not really up on gear and I'm primarily a guitar player, so we're not sure what else is out there. The bassist in our band has a Markbass amp and it sounds excellent, so it seems like a logical route to go.

Her primary bass is an Ibanez SR505 5-string and she also uses an Ibanez SR370f fretless.

So, should we go with the Markbass or ?
Yes, the Markbass would be an excellent choice, certainly, as you've already heard some of their amps and like the sound of it.

My only combo amp is a Markbass Minimark that I've had for about 15 years now; sounds amazing for such a small amp, and have used it it for various gigs and recordings (great sounding DI).

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Yes, the Markbass would be an excellent choice, certainly, as you've already heard some of their amps and like the sound of it.

My only combo amp is a Markbass Minimark that I've had for about 15 years now; sounds amazing for such a small amp, and have used it it for various gigs and recordings (great sounding DI).

Is that the 802 model w/ 2 8" speakers?

I was curious about the CMD 101 Marcus Miller amp w/ the 10". Size does matter in this case and I don't know if she'll need the 12" model, but the 10" amp only has around 60 watts rms. I've read that it is a conservative rating and I'm sure it can be run direct when needed, but I don't know if the 10" 60 watt amp will be enough of a stage monitor for larger rooms.

Jeff Scott

Mine is the original 2-6 version. I have, on occasion used it with an extension cab (usually a 1-10 that I used to have, a custom built "EV B-110". I have not tried it with my LDS cabs as I don't gig these days, just home use, or jamming with friends in in one of our homes.

How loud do her gigs get?

gtrdave

Silver Supporting Member
Mine is the original 2-6 version. I have, on occasion used it with an extension cab (usually a 1-10 that I used to have, a custom built "EV B-110". I have not tried it with my LDS cabs as I don't gig these days, just home use, or jamming with friends in in one of our homes.

How loud do her gigs get?

When we play as an acoustic duet or a semi-acoustic trio, they're not that loud and we have a full live sound rig with subwoofer(s) to run her bass DI if necessary. Those shows she'll use the little Hartke A35.

The last two gigs she played, though, were with a different band and they were larger stages with about 300 capacity rooms, so we brought the larger Peavey Max 112 amp to use as her stage monitor and to run direct, which is where we found its horrible buzzing sound through the DI and it didn't go away until we lifted the ground plug, which I do not like to do.
So, I got motivated to search for a better quality amp.

And (update) I just ordered a Markbass CMD 101 that GC had available as an open box discount. We'll give it a shot and see what she thinks and I'll be sure to update once it arrives.

derekd

Gold Supporting Member
Count me in as another who really likes Markbass stuff.

Let us know what the both of you think.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom