• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Looking for a new Wah--- the runners are (give opinion please)

lespauldoc

Greetings all!

So I finally gave up on my crybaby wah (TB mod). I'm looking for something a bit better. I mainly play Praise and Worship stuff (thick thick mix) and am using a wah to cut through on leads and things. Other than that I play some Collective Soul type covers etc... so thats my style.

I have 4 Runners
1) RMC Teese wah- either RMC 3 or Wizard Wah- explain the difference?
2) Fulltone Clyde Deluxe

3) Ernie Ball Wah- is this thing True Bypass?
4) VooDoo Lab Wahzoo (i like the auto wah feature)

I have seen several threads on the Teese wahs vs Fulltone, so other than quick opinions that you like it, please focus more on 3 and 4 as I have no idea about either.
Anyone have experience with the Ernie Ball or Voodoo Labs?

thesjkexperienc

^^^ I made this guitar^^^
Teese wheels of fire wha is the best of the bunch. I have had or tried all you have listed. Check the proguitarshop.com videos and check out how vocal the wah is and it is very adjustable without driving you crazy. I really like the ability to get the volume at unity or a bit of a boost and the amount of bass in the up position.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
Of those I'd go tease. Not sure which ones I've played other than the LE, but it sounded great.

Never tried the FT or the EB or VDL.

the VDL seems like it has a bunch of unnecessary stuff for a wah IMO. I pretty much prefer single function pedals. Less circuitry.

big mike

Cathode biased
Platinum Supporting Member
What's the rest of your rig?

I actually use a modded crybaby....you could look into some mods for what you have as well. Nothing wrong with the dunlop stuff either. I have a Crybaby Classic I use at band practice I like a lot, dead stock. But just changing the inductor and some resistor values if you're into that sort of thing may make you happy.

Another Vote for the RMC Teese wahs or Tease sbm;).
The Wiz and RMC3 are great,To add to your list I would recommend the New RMC-2..Pretty versatile wah and easy to tweak.

Last edited:

FAC

Two years ago, after reading Teese x 1000 on this forum, I went to the local boutique assuming I was going to buy a Teese, tried about 6 wahs, and ended up with the Clyde Deluxe. It just fit me better. This is not a slam on Teese wahs, I just happened to like the Clyde Deluxe better for my situation. Can't help you with #3 or #4 on your list...I hope you find one that suits you!

JUSTJOB

I recently chose the Fulltone Clyde Deluxe and am very happy with it. I too use it for Praise & Worship, as well as Blues. I really like the musical vocal expressiveness of this wah as well as the versatility of three wah types along with a volume knob that can give it a bit of boost. At first the throw felt a little foreign to me whereas it has a longer throw than my old 847, but I very quickly adapted and now really appreciate how much fine control there is.

drolling

Is your Crybaby a older Dunlop?

If so, you should just drop in an Area 51 board & pot. If you've already swapped out the switch, you can do this mod, too - Dead-simple with easy-to-follow instructions.

I've got some good wahs; Teese Pic (RMC 4), Budda Bud-Wah & a hot-rodded VOX 847, but the A-51's my favorite of the bunch!!

wingwalker

Fuzzy Guitars
1) RMC Teese wah- either RMC 3 or Wizard Wah- explain the difference?
2) Fulltone Clyde Deluxe

3) Ernie Ball Wah- is this thing True Bypass?
4) VooDoo Lab Wahzoo (i like the auto wah feature)

I've not tried the Ernie Ball but heard one and was left wanting...very ho-hum to my ears.

I've not tired the VooDoo Labs but the clips on U-toob are quite nice I must say!

Picture wah, RMC3, Wizard...

The Picture is the classic Vox voicing...think Hendrix, Beck, Page, Clapton, etc...reallyonly does the one wah tone but it does it well. The Wizard wah has a much wider sweep but it's shifted down a bit...even in the toe down position it's not really that bright and it's rather smooth from lows to highs...I like this wah for either really high gain playing or clean funk playing, the Wiz likes buckers and singles and sounds great, just not a vintage wah sound. The RMC3 will do the Picture or the Wiz or any other RMC wah except the Joe Walsh and will also do lots of other wahs as well. Great pedal, all the flexability you could ever want but all the controls are inside so no tweaking on the fly.

Now, the Picture vs the Clyde...I far prfer the Picture to be honest...I found it to be more true to the vintage Vox tone I grew up hearing plus it feels like a Vox wah under my foot...the Clyde is taller and more fuinky feeling...this is done to get a wider sweep but not only does the feel bug me but the wider sweep messes up the Vox tone for me plus the RMC is fuzz friendly and for me thats a MUST.

EDIT: Since making this post I have changed my mind about what the best wah for me and I no longer use RMC wahs.

Last edited:

lv

Silver Supporting Member
I've owned 3 that you list, but not the Ernie Ball. I suggest Area 51 with the optional controls (unless you must have the auto-wah funtion of the wahzoo, which is very cool and toneful). The Area 51 can do many different wah sounds, all of them very good.

fishlog

Silver Supporting Member
I recently bought the DunlopHendrix wah, not because I wanted to sound like Hendrix but because I wanted a throatier wah sound. I also liked how the Hendrix wah had less of a swing in other words the fulcrom (sp) was smaller from the bass to tremble motion. I had used (owned) a couple of different Crybaby wahs and a Vox before. The Vox was the worse and teh rest were meh..

jcoggins7

what does everyone think about the vox wah ?
IMHO, they're pretty terrible. When I tried one it had a terrible sweep and messed with my tone bypassed.

To the OP, I'm giving another vote for Teese wahs. My brother has an RMC3 and I have a Wizard. The RMC3 can get an almost exact duplicate setting as the Wizard, but it's not quite there (maybe 98% there). If you want a really smooth wah, get the Wizard...if you're looking for something with more cut in the top end, get the RMC3. So my advice is the RMC3.

lespauldoc

Wow. great responses everybody. Thanks for chipping in.

For those that ask, my current rig: Epi LP into Dunlop (old) crybaby with TB--> Ernie B Volume with Boss TU2 on out---> Zendrive-->Hermida Distortion or FT OCD--->Lil Big Muff or Hartman Fuzz--> Seymour Duncan Shape Shifter Tremolo--> DD20---> Verbzilla
Into a new model Fender Superchamp XD with Tung Sol tubes (stock tubes sucked).

In less than a month I will have my Toneczar Dove and a Tim, so that will probably finalize my chain, somewhere in there ;)

-----------
I was being pulled into the Teese wah, and from the sounds of it am being convinced that way.

NOW, question--- instead of going for classic vintage Wah--- which is the more modern voiced one?
(I realized the RMC3 is probably the most versatile of the group, and the Wizard is the most modern sounding?)

thanks gentlemen (and ladies)

Trending Topics