Looking for a non mid hump drive/dirt pedal

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by wyattt, Feb 16, 2012.

1. wyattt

wyattt Member

I can watch videos, and listen to clips all day, but I have trouble hearing that mid hump on TS pedals and other dirt pedals. I had two on my board and when I A/B'd them against my Dano CTO-1 and Les Lius, I could tell the difference in how high the mids were on my TS808 clone and FDII. But I couldn't tell that they had a mid hump and weren't as pleasing to me without A/Bing them. I definitely like a more flat frequency response in a dirt pedal after A/Bing my dirt pedals, especially since I have an AC30 w/ blues and so it already has a bit of a mid hump to it.

So, I sold off my TS clone and my fulldrive and I have about 160.00 to find one or two dirt pedals. I've been listening to clips and watching videos, but some pedals are not saying what kind of EQ response the pedal has. I know the standard answer is to get a hotcake, but I'm curious what are some budget dirt pedals that are more flat in their EQ. And if you have one for sale, let me know!

2. gatordoc

gatordoc Member

The first pedal that comes to mind would be the TIM. I like mid-hump pedals for leads but for rhythm I prefer a flatter EQ. The TIM has strong bass and treble without a heavy mid content unless you roll the bass and treble all the way off. Even then, the mids are not very pronounced.

3. natmiss

natmiss Member

TIM or Timmy here too.

4. pete692

pete692 Silver Supporting Member

5. MBT74

MBT74 Member

If you wanted to try something different to the Tim, try the Fromel D.I.G

It's John's take on the tube screamer but it has no mid hump. Great little pedal. Should get much more love than it does.

Since you've got an AC-30, I'd also recommend the Hotcake.

6. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

My thinking is the same. I've used the TIM and Timmy pedals since '05 and haven't found anything better for the purpose (with an AC30) despite having tried truckloads of things.

7. Grant Ferstat

Grant Ferstat Some guy in obscure bands in a far away place... Silver Supporting Member

Apparently I'm the only guy on the planet who doesn't like Hotcakes with AC30s!

8. wyattt

wyattt Member

Good to know. Without opening up a can of worms, isn't my Dano CTO-1 covering timmy territory or close to timmy territory?

I'd also wondered about a KLONE. I have seen a few of them pop up locally and I never bought into the Klon rage, but if the price was right I'd try one out.

I almost wonder if I even need another dirt pedal since I love my AC30 cranked, and I have the Les Lius and the CTO-1, if I even need another dirt, but I figured, why not have a few flavors.

I've been looking at a few other pedals such as a Barber 1/2 Gainer or a Honey Bee, but I don't know how those would sound with an AC30.

9. Grant Ferstat

I use a Klon after my Timmy essentially as a lead boost. The two work well together with the Klon providing a real fattening effect alongside the more open Timmy sound. I don't think the CTO-1 does the asymmetrical clipping sound that the Timmy does which is what I happen to like best with my AC30 and Magic Brit MK2.

10. wyattt

wyattt Member

And why didn't you like the Hotcake?

11. Grant Ferstat

The HotCakes have a cool texture but the decay is quite fizzy.

I'll qualify that buy saying I've had tow older types (mid lift switch and presence knob types) but not the Bluesberry model.

I have heard a lot of guys get cool tones with 'cakes though so obviously it's not an issue for a lot of people.

12. Yr Blues

Yr Blues Member

13. wyattt

wyattt Member

14. oldhousescott

oldhousescott Silver Supporting Member

The Klon(e) has a definite mid-emphasis. You might try an OCD.

15. wyattt

wyattt Member

Thought about an OCD. It's got a little more gain on tap right? I feel like I may be good for the low-mid gain pedals, and while I'm not a high gain guy, it might be good to get something thats mid-high?

16. Occam

Occam Member

That mid hump is magical especially in a band mix. I have a feeling that many anti-mid's guys are just jamming at home. I also did not find the Timmy very flat at all. Mine seemed to have a sort of dumpy lowend that I couldn't dial out...maybe it didn't like lower tunings.

17. wyattt

wyattt Member

That's what I saw on another forum. That when the time comes to stand out in a band, it's all about the mids. I like mids, but I felt I had a good amount through just the AC30. I don't have a band right now, so maybe my thoughts on it will change once I get something going again.

18. Truckdub

Truckdub Member

The Visual Sound Open Road was designed to be the alternative to their Rte808 OD which is an TS type pedal. It doesn't have the mid hump. It's a great amplike sounding OD.

19. wyattt

wyattt Member

The open road sounds very nice. Some of the sounds I am hearing sound OCDish too.

20. Codyh630

Codyh630 Member

I would also look into an OCD. It has a flat EQ or scooped mids and it stacks really well with any TS-style pedal form what I've heard, and it works really well with an AC30.