Looking for a not so clean boost

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Hammered, Apr 26, 2015.

1. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

I've been boosting my Splawns with TS type pedals for the last few years mainly for tightening up the low end. I'm growing tired of the mid hump and compression that most TS pedals deliver and I'm looking for pedal to run as a clean boost (vol up , gain down) that will still tighten up the low end and add a little grit yet do away with the TS mids and compression. Any ideas ?

2. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I just got a EQD Speaker Cranker. I was also eyeing the Keeley Katana (mini).
    The Speaker Cranker is a single transistor, so I think it is based on a treble booster. It very much sounds like the amp's gain.
    I also really like the versatility of a Rat. And the EQ control of an Xotic RC boost are the best around.
    Your descriptions even sounds like a Timmy might be worth a test drive.

3. s360guitarist

s360guitarist Silver Supporting Member

Fulldrive in comp-cut? Works for me...

4. TheGuildedAge

TheGuildedAge Member

Fulldrive does have a nice boost, plus you would have the switch for the hump when you want it.

Cliche, but the Timmy would do it, maybe an xotic rc boost.

5. Empros

Empros Supporting Member

Try an LPB-1. It's like $20. It's a not-so-clean boost.

6. Bopcat

Bopcat Member

7. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

VFE Pale Horse is a TS you might consider, extra controls take it way beyond what many TS can do. Pre-gain bass control so have control of thickness of drive. Variable clipping control, locking it at noon knocks out a lot of the standard TS type compression, other positions let you vary amount of the 2 clipping/compression options. Then a post gain treble roll off along with traditional TS controls.

Others might be a Blues Breaker type OD like Snouse Black Box, little fatter, milder mid hump.

Or a Dumble/Zen drive type pedals like Koi OD. Minis are so nice looking.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 7, 2015
  8. bluflames

bluflames Member

Fulltone fat boost will do this, just roll off some bass. Also consider the catalinbread Naga viper.

Timmy has a similar bass roll off as well and doesn't have too much compression though any distortion pedal will have some.

Honestly for tightening up the low end a treble booster works great but make sure it's into an already hot/loud amp. I actually just realized volume might be part of the treble booster equation too hmmm.

Sd-1 has less of a mid hump but it's still there so maybe consider that unless you want to do away with anything resembling a tube screamer

9. Hammered

Hammered Supporting Member

I found a Timmy locally that I should get before the end of the week so I'll start there

10. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

The TC Spark Booster is a great booster. I use mine to brighten/tighten up the rig for maximum push, sorta like what you are doing with the tubescreamer. I like the 3 position switch that sets the boost type. Lately i have been doing clean boost and using other for the dirt, but I have used it like a mild overdrive with the mid position selected and bass cut (sorta Klon-ish but more useful) and even a mild fuzz with the bass boost selected and the gain up. It just sorta works for whatever rig and stacks with whatever dirt boxes you may already use and can be very complimentary to some. They turn up real cheap on the used market too, I think I paid $85 and I haven't used a better boost. YMMV.

11. jordane93

jordane93 Member

Either of these would work.

12. Stratburst70

Stratburst70 Member

I was going to suggest the TC Spark Booster as well. I use mine as either a solo boost or to take my fuzz over the top. It has a lot of functionality, and can do the mid-hump thing if you find you miss that sound.

If you want a simpler control set, the WHE Red Llama is a great dirty boost.

13. cbpickin

cbpickin Tweed Supporting Member Silver Supporting Member

+1!

14. amphead777

amphead777 Member

I really like my PTD Bettaboost. Hard to find, but well worth it.

15. sanfi4u

sanfi4u Silver Supporting Member

Solid Gold FX Nitro boost can do clean boost as well a two type of clipping. Nice booster.
    Another great option is Moog MF Drive. Can do clean and dirt boost as well as overdrive. Well sounding and very versatile pedal.
    One more nice option worth checking is Lumpy's Tone Shop Germanium Class A Overdrive. It does dirt boost and OD really well.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2015
  16. |\|\|\

|\|\|\ Member

black arts black forest/colorsound overdriver

17. Jules-RM

Jules-RM Member

I LOVE this pedal and think it should work, there's also the Basic Audio Futureman which is a little more OD sounding.

Timmy should work fine as well, Imo it's better as a booster than an OD.

Dod Bifet boost might be worth looking into too. it's a not 100% clean boost that sounds pretty good, the tone knob makes it very useful if you switch between single coils and humbuckers as well.

18. superdave2001

superdave2001 Supporting Member

BASS Soul Food. Better than the "guitar" version on guitar.

19. Rango

Rango Supporting Member

I'm surprised nobody said "Archer" yet! :huh

I'm using an Archer to do what you describe...as much boost as you could want on tap and you can dial the gain to your liking. ;)

20. NewDr.P

NewDr.P Member

the ep booster is awesome for adding saturation to an already distorted amp.