Looking for a OD &/or Dist. pedal to compliment my Timmy.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sweetpea, Sep 11, 2005.

1. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I will be playing a strat (Suhr LPV60's) through a Fargen 4 6v6 Blackbird as soon as Ben finishes building it. This will be in a 2x12 combo format with a Red Fang and G12H30. I am looking at something that will get me into the SRV/Hendrix thing (using the neck pup) along with the more aggressive Beck/EJ lead tone when using the strats bridge pickup-depending on how much I roll off the bridge treble pot.
    I currently have a Barber Burn Unit eq, but it kinda is too smooth for my taste when playing live. I was thinking along the lines of the following pedals to be used eithier by themselves or in series with the Timmy.

MI audio Tube Zone
    " " Blues Boy

MJM Blues Devil (used with the timmy for heavier OD/Dist.)

Foxfox Zim

Herminda Zendrive

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

:) :) :)

2. fast ricky love

fast ricky love Supporting Member

Those Lovepedal Karl clips sound like what you want...

3. erksin

erksin Member

I have the Blue Boy (great pedal, BTW) and run it into the Timmy, though not often as the BB has enough gain for my tastes all on it's own. I frequently run a Hellbilly (dialed in as a Treble Boost) into the Timmy for more saturated stuff and it sounds fantastic - the Timmy's EQ helps shape the Hellbilly in a very cool way. Heaps of gain, but still retains the individual notes and doesn't mush out. If you don't have a Fuzz or Treble Booster, the Hellbilly is killer - does both sounds very well, IMO. One of the best pedal combos I've ever tried...

4. granite

granite Member

A Pedalworx Texas Two Step (TTS) might get you the sound you want. It is quite a bit different from a Timmy.

5. fatback

fatback Member

Get a tube OD pedal. There are many on the market. If you search, there is a thread here that lists most of them. The v.2 Chandler Tube Drivers will take you right to EJ land. Throw the Timmy in front of it and you've got a very versatile 2 pedal set-up.

6. gitpicker

gitpicker Silver Supporting Member

I've had 2 ZIMs - the CS card is still the best low gain OD for a strat I have used - there are several good sounding TS type cards, and the mighty TAR+ for Rat-like distortion, plus the BB buffer/boost card. The voicing controls on the 2nd channel offer more versitility than any other OD IMHO - and the ability to exchange cards and try them out virtually for free makes this one a winner. This is a VERY under-rated pedal. I sold both of mine chasing greener grass, but I aim to possess one again!

the Gitpicker (still old, bald, and fat)

7. madsr

madsr Member

menatone fish factory...what a fantastic pedal!!..I've never tried a timmy but I have a lovepedal COT50 in front of the fish factory and a zvex SHO after it....they all blend really well...the fish factory is tremendous on its own but the cot50 takes it up "notches unknown" to quote emeril lagasse...also the clips on mena's website do not do the pedal justice...

8. meterman

meterman Member

I'd go with the BJFE Dyna Red, my favorite distortion pedal that also does cleanish bluesy grit at low gain settings. Sounds absolutely amazing into a Fender type amp and stacks great with the TIM/Timmy. Great pedal with a toothy, Marshally vibe that will do what you're looking for...

9. El Jimbo

El Jimbo Member

For huge gain and tonal range, and great value, the Tube Zone will be hard to beat.

It also doesn't really need to 'run into' anything due to it's multigain stage design, but several here like it going with the BB...they seem to click.

10. theHoss

theHoss Member

I just posted on another thread, but it looks like this is the thread I should be on. I just got a Timmy, and love it. I would like to add an additional pedal so that I can have a farily versitile rig. I would like a pedal that can stand on its own for heavier rythyms, but also stacks well with the Timmy. I love the timmy (its transparentness, consistency, and predicability). Also, do you push the timmy or does the timmy do the pushing? I love the Timmy's eq, so I would like to use the most effective way possible.

11. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

COT50 in front of the Timmy is killer.

12. telebuck

telebuck Supporting Member

All this talk about Tims and Timmy's is great, as I've only recently discovered them.

I found that TIM into Cot50 worked really well for a creamy overdrive. I'll have to try this in reverse, as well a few of the other ideas I've heard... treble boost into TIM, etc.

13. dankayaker

dankayaker Supporting Member

Tim into a COT50 will produce a pretty large volume boost. Before the TIM is OD's the TIM without really boosting the volume . . . . .just depends what you're looking for.

14. meterman

meterman Member

I've found that the TIM/Timmy stacks well either before or after another OD, but if you run it after the overall sound is less compressed and you get more benefit from the TIM's killer EQ

15. erksin

erksin Member

That was my conclusion as well - seems a waste to lose out on the benefit of the Tim/Timmy's killer EQ by running it in front of another pedal without the same capability. If you still want more compression, you can use the Timmy's dip switches...

16. BJF

BJF Member

Hi,

I haven't tried the Timmy- yet- but well the TIM and it did stack well with anything I tried before it
    and many things after it, and this ability is a great
    asset in my book any time.
    However, I did perfer using the TIM as a booster to a distorted amp, while pushing the output of
    the TIM, but in stacking with other drives on a clean amp I found it to be more to my taste to put
    things before TIM and utilize the EQ abilities of the TIM at unity gain compared to bypass- this
    also gave the most dynamic results. and then TIM could be left on at all times.
    This is much as I would use a Klon if I had one btw.
    TIM also had internal distortion capabilities, that were useful on some amps
    but not nearly as impressive as what it could do in stacking and in fact it got along with just
    anything that would be the taste of the day.
    I got the advice from a TIM user to place the TIM first and stack drives after it but then gain
    quickly rose to saturated levels and the last pedal in the chain sets the main caracther- as a note
    here the TIM makes for transparent (yes I know dirty word,nutch,nutch) results even here and
    could actually top of the cake so to speak not really taking over sound but lending a quality so at the end it went in my tests.
    Personally I really enjoyed stacking DRD>TIM, but could see others liking e.g Zen or Mosferatu>TIM, DDSS >TIM et.c

It perhaps goes to show that TIM goes anywhere and while it may be named after the Enchanter, it
    could many times be the enhancer

Just a thought
    BJ

17. sweetpea

sweetpea Supporting Member

I am now kinda thinking about keeping my Barber Burn Unit eq just to see how it mates up w/the Timmy. Maybe the Timmy's eq will help me better cut through the mix while maintaining the singing qualities of the Burn Unit.:)

18. WahmBoomAh

WahmBoomAh World Crass Guitarist Silver Supporting Member

hey bro ...I play through the 4x6V6 30 watt Blackbird ...what a sound .
    when you get it ..dime it and smile . I`ve never heard something so glorious ...like a fender that keeps it`s shoes buckled on tight the faster it runs ....know what I mean ? doesn`t miss a step . digs in harder on the fat notes ....and mine only has 1 -12" ceramic blue dog ...THANKS BEN!
    so .....I`m in the analog man camp but have heard that the tim is something like the king of tone ....since we`re talking about the same amp ....here goes . I asked Mike Piera the same kind of question .....something to mate and chain to the KOT that will get hairier and nastier ....he sold me his modded version of the maxon sd9....divine chained up after the KOT ...think it`ll be cool with the TIM ???????just an idea you know ,,,,,,good luck

19. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

What about an HB Power screamer?

20. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Have you considered an Eternity? With your Fargen, I'd say it'll get you in EJ land very quickly. It definitely does with my Germino Lead 55.

Jeff