• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Looking for a particular pickup, assistance needed...

When I started looking for new pickups for my ElectraJet, I figured it would be fairly easy but most of the pickups that were on my original short list fell off for one reason or another. Here's my criteria:

- medium output humbucker
- must be 4-conductor (plan to use PRS switching)
- split coils shouldn't have a huge volume drop
- chrome covers
- tone = darker, woody, open (not overly compressed)
- < $130 each

I pretty much have every tone I need in my other guitars, but I just can't part with the EJ so I'm looking for something a little different to force me to change up my playing a little. I'm looking for this guitar to have some vintage flavor but still untamed and rude. I envision using this guitar more through my Orange Rockerverb.

I've found a few nice pickups that hit on most of these but so far I haven't found one that gets them all. I don't need the split tones to be accurate to a Strat or Tele, but they should still sound nice and fairly warm. The closest pickups I've found so far are the PRS Mira pickups, but they are tough to get a hold of and they don't have a chrome cover. It's claimed that the SC245 pickups are simply covered Mira pickups, but they're not 4-conductor. I also considered a Duncan JB but it was a little too compressed, and I haven't played a DiMarzio that I've kept for more than a few weeks. Here's a few more I checked: Suhr DSV/DSH (no chrome), Suhr Aldrich (too hot/compressed), Anderson H1/H2 (no chrome)...

Any other suggestions?

silentbob

Duncan Screamin Demon. Hotter than a vintage PAF, but not all that hot. Not nearly as compressed as the JB. Don't let the name fool you.

atquinn

Silver Supporting Member
Suhr DSV/DSH doesn't have chrome covers, but Suhr SSV/SSH do. There's no reason you couldn't get those.
-
Austin

Suhr DSV/DSH doesn't have chrome covers, but Suhr SSV/SSH do. There's no reason you couldn't get those.
-
Austin
Based on what I've heard and read, the SSH's are bright pickups. An option would be to run that pair with a 300k pot to help darken them up a bit.

cratz2

Silver Supporting Member
I have the hots do put the Suhr DSV/DSH in something soon but if you want covers, the Unbucker was the first thing that came to mind.

And though I've never played one that I know of, the Duncan Stag Mag might possibly work. It might be on the bright side.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I checked the Unbucker and it may just be the ticket. It seems to be a little bright, which is what I usually expect from Fralin pickups anyway. I've also got a question in to Smit's to see what he suggests for a custom wind.

Trending Topics