Looking for a plectrum

trazan

I've been using Jazz II for years, but two weeks ago I was given a Dunlop 205 and fell instantly in love. Especially for single string playing on acoustic guitar, wonderful thick sound on the high strings. However, after only two weeks the 205 is already pretty worn...

So, does anyone know of picks the same shape and thickness as the 205, but more durable? A thicker Jazz II shape may be fine too.

rawkguitarist

Check out v-picks.com

dood, without a doubt. I've been playing vpicks for almost two years now. One of the most significant gear purchases I've ever made. I was hooked in five minutes. Every one should lay down about 12 bucks just to try out a couple. May not be your bag, but they may change your life (like they did mine).

If you dig the jazz shape chech out the small pointed in the 2.75mm. You'll be blown away how counter intuitive it is, but the thicker harder pick is easier to play with than a normal medium or heavy pick.

Last edited:

goldie-gold

Check out v-picks.com

Another massive vote for trying V-Picks.

Tried them a few months back and now I am hooked. Plus, they seem to last really well too - My Diamond looks the same as it did when I got it and I have played it pretty hard for about 3 months.

They do wear eventually, but you also get 3 edges per pick - plus I like to use the worn edge when I want a more mellow tone. V-picks are really worth checking out.

rawkguitarist

PS. Yeah, that's worth noting. I usually use each V-Pick for about 2 months or so. I think this last one I've been using for 3 months. When they get a few divots in them I buff them out with a sponge nail buffer I bought at the beauty shop down the street.

Also, when I get an order in (usually 5 or 6 at a time) I grab my Ryobi Lythium Ion rechargable drill (yes, it rules) and put three grip holes in each pick. :dude

78deluxe

What about the Jazztone 208's? Wouldn't those be the same thing only bigger, and therefore the wear down might be slower till the point of unusable?

matt5150

Either U Know Or U Don't
Silver Supporting Member
I have been using a Jazz III for years.

As it gets serrated or a little worn down I take a piece of sandpaper to the edges to clean it up.

Matt

Powerslave214

Also, when I get an order in (usually 5 or 6 at a time) I grab my Ryobi Lythium Ion rechargable drill (yes, it rules) and put three grip holes in each pick. :dude

Interesting idea. I like the grip holes in the Red Bear Lil Jazzers, I might have to try that. I wonder if Vinni would be able to pre-drill them?

Mattaraja

Dunlop tortex (M3), the green ones, or even better, the purple ones (a bit thicker). Shaped like a Jazz III, but doesn't feel as greasy. Do some picking drills and the tip rounds down between a II and a III (or use sandpaper like the other guy said). The III is too sharp and the II is too round. You can always turn it sideways if you want to warm up the attack. Scott Henderson talks about that somewhere...

trazan

Just can't find any store with a good selection of picks over here, so I ordered a selection to try out from Elderly.

Didn't fancy the shape of the V-picks, but I found myself another favorite for now: Dunlop 305. Perfect shape and thickness. Now let's see how it wears down...

dB

Silver Supporting Member
I like Clayton Ultem for acoustic and Adamas Graphite for electric, although I don't think they are making these anymore. I need to try the v picks.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom