Looking for a really good acoustic gigbag / lightweight case

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by therealting, Jan 3, 2008.

1. therealting

therealting Member

Have decided to keep my expensive Yamaha acoustic and enjoy gigging with it. The wooden hardshell case that it came in is beautiful, but too heavy to carry around to gigs (and will probably not wear look too good after a bit of scuffing anyway)!

I'm looking for a good way to carry it around and am prepared to cough up for something better than the typical padded gigbag in order to give it the protection it deserves. I'd prefer it to be a bit lighter than the moulded SKB-type cases I have been using, if possible.

These are the options that I've stumbled on so far:

Ultralight high-density foam semi-hardshell case[​IMG]

Ultralight fiberglass case:
    [​IMG]

I have an extremely well-padded Clima Gard case for my 8-string classical that I would love to buy again in dreadnought size, but I can't find it anywhere.

The foam case is of course very inexpensive, but cost is not my main priority here. The fiberglass case has the advantage that I could fly with it - I don't have any flyaway gigs planned at the moment, but I did one two months ago and ended up buying a seat for my guitar out of paranoia.

I'm interested to hear your experiences and feedback, and any other suggestions.

2. royd

royd Member

if the fiberglass case is "ultralight," I wouldn't fly with it... and if it is strong enough to fly with, it wouldn't be ultralight. I had a Calton for my Lowden for a while and it was terrible to carry.

Reunion Blues or Glen Cronkhite bags are the best gig bags available for an acoustic. The higher end Levy's are good too but a step below those two. I haven't seen the Bodyglove acoustic bag but it might be a good choice. The electric bag is great materials but it is too big to fit a fender and too small for a 335 so nothing works well in it without additional pads. I don't know how the acoustic bag's fit would be. I wish they still made an acoustic version of the incase....

3. Dave Orban

Dave Orban Gold Supporting Member

That Ultrallight soft case looks like it would be ideal... what do they go for?

4. therealting

therealting Member

5. jleung

jleung Member

6. therealting

therealting Member

Yeah InCase was the first place I looked, no acoustic case unfortunately. :(

Turns out that polyfoam case is a little small for the dreadnought, which is annoying since it would be excellent... debating that fiberglass case, but at 5kg without a guitar in it, it's not really ultralight.

I'm bidding on a Tribal Planet case with the extra dense foam that I thought I'd take a look at since I have another guitar that would fit anyway. If it's decent, I'll get another and use one for the expensive Yamaha. I figure it's better to have a lightweight (but still protective) case and to keep the guitar with me at all times, whereas when I have a heavy case it can be a pain to keep it with me in restaurants pre-gig etc.

7. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

I juts got a beautiful Maton TE808 and was just wondering the exact same thing. Does this company ship to the States? Did you buy one?

Thanks

8. therealting

therealting Member

Which one were you after, John?

9. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

i liked the foam one, not the fiberglass, tyvm

10. therealting

therealting Member

I don't know if they ship out of the country (and I didn't get one as my dreadnought won't fit), but I am very sure you can get similar cases in the States... you guys tend to have a much better selection over there. :) Try searching for a polyfoan, semi-rigid, styrofoam or pod case.

11. royd

royd Member

12. David Collins

David Collins Member

Have you looked at Ameritage cases yet?

13. paddywhack

paddywhack Supporting Member

if you're looking for a really good gigbag check ou Blue Heron cases....not cheap but not overly spendy...

14. zenguitarguy

zenguitarguy Member

Thanks everyone! I am going to look round at NAMM! Appreciate all the good info!;)