looking for a Reverb pedal.... Eventide H9 or Strymon Big Sky?

jazzyguy

hello guys i have an Eventide H9 max which is moving from electric guitar pedalboard to my acoustic guitar pedalboard, so i will need a reverb pedal for my electric guitar pedalboard and i don't know if buy another Eventide H9 core and pass to the pedal all the presets from my H9 max or to get the Strymon Big sky; in the past i had the Strymon blue sky but for some reason it didn't feel right and i didn't know the reason why i couldn't get the sound i was looking for. in the other hand ive been listening videos of the big sky and sound great and has so many options,and reading about the big sky great things; unfortunately and ca not try a big sky in town.

which reverb pedal should i buy??? o_O

Imperial_Tone

All things with a Maple Cap
I personally run both. I use the BigSky more, but some presets on the H9 are more fitted to achieve different sounds. Imo, I would just get a Core (if you like the verb sounds you already have with the Max). The BigSky is great as a stand alone pedal, but most often then not I rarely use more than 8 different verb algos.

Squatch57

I recently bought a Big Sky to go with my Timefactor but if I had an H9 max I'd look for a deal on a Core for value

cbm

Gold Supporting Member
Where there's overlap, I like the Eventide verbs better than the BigSky verbs. They each do things the other can't in the verb category, and of course an H9 has all those non-verb algorithms. My "vote" = H9.

tremolo3

If you already have an H9 Max, then getting a Core is what I would do. But I'm probably biased since I've had both and BigSky was pretty meh compared to Eventide's reverbs.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
You are familiar with the H9 tones and already own all the algorithms. I say get the H9 Core.

The wireless/Bluetooth management is so far above the Strymons in my opinion. Plus, smaller, on board Tuner.

jazzyguy

You are familiar with the H9 tones and already own all the algorithms. I say get the H9 Core.

The wireless/Bluetooth management is so far above the Strymons in my opinion. Plus, smaller, on board Tuner.
yeah i like about the Eventide H9 that has a tunner and the wireless/bluetooth option to modified the settings on the fly

earwax

I have an H9 max and had Big Sky for a couple of years as well. Recently sold the Big Sky and replaced it with a Flint because I sometimes I want to use the H9 into a reverb. I don't really miss the Big Sky too much. Loved the cloud algorithm but you can find some great modulated reverbs on the H9 as well and I find the Eventide to be more useful given all of the things it can do well.

jazzyguy

If you just need one reverb sound at a time or even one per show then IMO the H9 and bigsky are extremely overkill. Grab a digitech polara or Boss RV-6 and be done.
the Boss RV-6 is one pedal that i had in mind, some said that its an excellent reverb pedal

CaptainAwesome

It definitely is a stupid username
Silver Supporting Member
Given a straight-up choice between the Eventide Space and Strymon Big Sky, I'd take the Space. Because you have an H9 Max, the Core is a great option that is cheaper than the Space and Big Sky, so that makes this a win-win regarding cost and sound.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
With a core/max, you get a Reverb. But there is looper, delays, chorus, just so many options beyond the Big Sky choices. Reverse Reverb.

With a core/max, you get a Reverb. But there is looper, delays, chorus, just so many options beyond the Big Sky choices. Reverse Reverb.
Just for clarity's sake, BigSky does have Reverse Reverb (with 3 sub-modes) with the NonLinear algorithm.

To the OP, I can't comment on the H9 but I would say to the OP that the BigSky has quite a few different sounds than the BlueSky. I wouldn't be dissuaded from the BigSky solely because of the BlueSky sounds.

TheoDog

Silver Supporting Member
I agree with @ThinPaperWings about the idea the Big Sky has tones that are beyond the Blue Sky. Also, some sounds in the Big Sky just can't be made with the H9/Space, but the inverse is also true.

Reverse Reverb is pretty darn neat. One of my faves these days.

Trending Topics