• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Looking for a "safe" place to put $1,500 to $3,000.

adamfox

It's been a few years since I've been here, and really a few years since I was heavy into guitar.

From ~2017-March 2020 I pretty much dropped guitar to play bass with some friends. I used my limited practice time to get better with bass, so I could bring something to our sessions. We stopped once the shutdown happened, partially due to it, but also due to lack of progress and life getting in the way. I went a little nuts flipping cars and car parts since.

I decided to pick my guitars back up a few weeks ago and I'm hooked again. I'm in a different place financially than I was before, and will also be selling a bunch of heavy bass gear. I'm thinking of putting a nice chunk of money towards something as a treat to myself. I have always been able to justify spending higher money on quality gear (and depreciated cars), since I usually come out even or ahead when its time to move on.

I've had my eyes off the guitar market for years at this point though. I used to be really in tune with eras, models, and options, so it should be pretty quick to spin back up. A lot of the things I was looking at before have gone way up since then though. I want to try to target things with the best chance of maintaining/increasing in value over the long term. Not really looking for an "investment", just a more fun place to put my money than a savings account or mutual fund. I buy enough of that.

What I have now:
1985 Les Paul Studio, 62 AVRI Jazzmaster, Highway 1 Strat, Ibanez RGD Baritone, PRS SE Acoustic, Yamaha Classical
Pre-CBS Blackface Princeton, Marshall Studio 15, 1965 Ampeg Reverberocket

I have my eye on:
Les Pauls (standard vs custom? 70s, 80s, 90s?)
Early PRS (CE vs Custom? 80s, 90s?)
Tele with wide range pickups (Deluxe/custom vs thinline? 70s, AVRI, modern?)
Maybe a 335 or similar?

chanley

I can't say enough good things about the american original line from fender. I have an american original 60's tele, (my avatar pic). IMHO, once you swap the saddles for some compensated ones...it sure feels/sounds as good as the few custom shop tele's I've played.

adamfox

Honestly, right now my goals are just to keep up the hobby and spend more time playing music. Life has been stressful and I haven't been "allowing" myself a break lately if you know what I mean. I just feel a lot better about spending 1500+ on something that will hold value, instead of cheaping out on something ~500 just to save money today.

I passed on a lot of high end gear that I could have easily afforded years ago, that is now out of justifiable reach.

I am not stretching financially here, but I don't see much gain once I get over the 3k mark. I feel like I can get something great, that will last a lifetime, that could also be a potential investment, that I'm not scared to play. Seems like the sweet spot. If some golden era of something is at like 3800, I won't rule it out. I just don't see myself needing to go much higher.

Guitar Josh

Resident Curmudgeon
Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, right now my goals are just to keep up the hobby and spend more time playing music.
Then my advice is to stop looking for more guitars to buy and use that time playing the guitars you have :)

The only guitar you don't have in your wheelhouse that is even fathomable to recommend is a Tele. And if I were you, I would get a nice used MIM telecaster for $400 or so in black and rock the hell out of it.

D K Souther

Platinum Supporting Member
Looks like you have some nice guitars that cover a lot of ground already? Why not get a nice amp or some cool pedals?

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
Honestly, right now my goals are just to keep up the hobby and spend more time playing music. Life has been stressful and I haven't been "allowing" myself a break lately if you know what I mean. I just feel a lot better about spending 1500+ on something that will hold value, instead of cheaping out on something ~500 just to save money today.

I passed on a lot of high end gear that I could have easily afforded years ago, that is now out of justifiable reach.

I am not stretching financially here, but I don't see much gain once I get over the 3k mark. I feel like I can get something great, that will last a lifetime, that could also be a potential investment, that I'm not scared to play. Seems like the sweet spot. If some golden era of something is at like 3800, I won't rule it out. I just don't see myself needing to go much higher.
Yeah, but why buy something unless you have a genuine need or lust? If you just want to buy something, there are a zillion ways to get there. Buy used at a fair price or better, and hope that the market doesn't turn against you. You could argue that certain niche guitars might prove to rise in value (e.g. EVH signatures purchased more than 2 months ago), but you're just guessing. And why speculate on something that may or may not turn your crank?

If you came here and asked for thoughts on the best blackguard T-style, that would be one thing. You'd get lots of opinions, and many of them would be good. But just asking for advice on the guitars least likely to cause a paper loss seems like a fool's errand at best.

adamfox

I have had a great couple of years, and kind of want to celebrate myself with something nice that I have previously denied myself and regretted. A gift or reward to myself for hard work. For years, I have taken all my overtime and travel checks and just kinda dumped them into investments and maxing out all my retirement accounts. I want to treat myself to something special. Maybe that's dumb, but whatever, its my money that I'm blowing.

Having never spent this much, and being out of tune with the current value of things, I was wondering what kinds of options were floating around in that range.

adamfox

To clarify Jerrod, you're correct, its just a lust. But the lust is directed at many different options.

Jerrod

Gold Supporting Member
To clarify Jerrod, you're correct, its just a lust. But the lust is directed at many different options.
Hey, I get it. :) I'm currently drooling over PRS DGTs and a Suhr Thornley Classic S. I have no particular need for either of them, and the best I could argue is that I'm celebrating being a very good boy.

If it was me, I'd keep my money in my pocket and try every cool guitar I could play in person. When the right one comes along, make a good deal and play the hell out of it.

Bobsessed

I'm in the same boat. Kinda want to invest in something I'll enjoy till I sell it and make a profit. But at the same time, I've got 10 fine guitars, 2 of which are made in Korea. Those 2 will probably never sell at a high price, but I have, in those, 2 instruments that I love and won't sell unless there's a zombie apocalypse.

Trending Topics