• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

looking for a shred guitar

tedm

considering an Ibanez, whenever I play them at GC, they are just so fast.

Do I need a locking nut if I don't want a trem version?

Anything good on the low end? I don't need the Jem or JS100 versions, the ones I play at GC I'm pretty sure are RGxxx models, with bolt-on necks, they just scream and stay in tune.

Any recommendations?

AgentWalrus

i got an RGA 121 prestige hardtail. fantastic guitar. and no as long as you dont abuse the tremolo you shouldnt need a locking nut.

ghoti

Lots of guys like RG's. Xiphos might be what you're looking for, if you like pointy guitars...there are some models that come without trems. Also, V-types tend to be shred-oriented.

Kind of pointless to get a shred guitar without a trem and locking nut though IMO...the typical shred model is flat fingerboard with locking nut, floyd, and jumbo frets. Usually a superstrat model, but sometimes pointy.

Ibanez and Jackson are your usual suspects, and then there's Dean, ESP, Schecter, Fender, and the rest.

Agile makes a few that are nice too...especially the longer-scale models (more space on the high end of the board for your fingers if you tune to standard; also a slightly different sound from the standard 25.5")

Critter

Ibanez RG 421 would be a good place to start... they sell used for cheap and then put in better pups

PFCG

have you played a Suhr or Parker Yet? Even Anderson guitars are great for that.

I say if your looking for 24 frets, try a Suhr Modern, or a Fly Mojo

22 Frets, check out a Suhr Standard, Or Anderson Classic.

They are great axes, and cover much more ground than just shred.

crosse79

I think you got to try as many RGs as you can. I am traditionalist - if you want to shred - you go the Ibanez way.

Eagle1

Nothing quit beats an RG550 for shred and that includes Suhr moderns and Parkers.
But the Suhr sounds better and If you are in you 40's (like me) the Ibanez looks abit silly.I still kept one for those shreddy flashback moments .

blood5150

I just picked up one of these brand new out the door for 900 even.
Quatersawn Maple neck with gunstock oil finish, dimarzio pups and a floyd rose. Sounds like a shredder to me... there are other colors to choose from if you dont like green...

Eagle1

I just picked up one of these brand new out the door for 900 even.
Quatersawn Maple neck with gunstock oil finish, dimarzio pups and a floyd rose. Sounds like a shredder to me... there are other colors to choose from if you dont like green...

That looks great .:BEER

tedm

I've tried an Anderson and it was great, like a perfect strat, but I'm looking for a shred guitar, not a traditional LP, strat or tele.

Also, looking for something low priced, I'm pretty sure the ones I play at GC are bolt on necks, and somewhere in the $299/$399 range of the Ibanezes.

tedm

MF has a scratch and dent for $250 or so but I don't like the reverse headstock for tuning.

So what is it about the Ibanezes that make them so fast to play? Here are my guesses:

Extremely flat neck, heavy duty tuning hardware to stay in tune, jumbo frets?

I don't care about the looks or colors, so is the Ibanez artist single cutaway a shred model? (but without the trem and locking nut)?

Ibanez RG 421 would be a good place to start... they sell used for cheap and then put in better pups

buddastrat

How about an import Peavey Wolfgang. You can get hardtail or trem. Those things play and sound real good for rock. and play so easy a girlscout can play them.

robbph37

I just picked up the USA S1 Charvel Saturday in Slime green and it plays fantastic. I already own 2 early 90'2 Rg 550's and this Charvel will give them a run for the money. Great guitar and the real Floyd trem was a great bonus. it actually stays in tune which is something that I cannot say for the RG's.

blood5150

Trending Topics