• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Looking for a sleeper acoustic.

SPH77

I know there is an acoustic forum, but it looks pretty dead :). Hopefully ok to post here.

I am looking for a great playing acoustic that doesn't actually need to sound that great (although I'm not opposed to it).

In the mornings I teach music classes at pre-schools. Pretty much just acting like a goof and singing kids songs. It just dawned on me that I could actually try to incorporate some different licks and riffs into some of the songs. Kids will think it's cool, I can play something besides the same 4 chords, and sneak a little practice in.... all at the same time :)

Anyway, I use a beat up Alvarez that is perfect for the job. It sounds decent enough for the gig, but it actually plays pretty bad now that I tried to incorporate a few licks today. Frets are just terrible.

I actually have a pretty nice acoustic that I would never bring to this gig. You just never know when some kid will do something like..... Jump on your guitar case. Luckily the guitar wasn't inside.

So, any thoughts on a relatively cheap well playing guitar? Used, and Old is perfect for this assignment.

Appreciate any thoughts.

wilder

In the under $300 used market I have been extremely impressed with the tone and playability of both Seagull and Recording King. Edited to add that if you can score a Tacoma on the cheap you will be very happy.

SPH77

In the under $300 used market I have been extremely impressed with the tone and playability of both Seagull and Recording King. Edited to add that if you can score a Tacoma on the cheap you will be very happy.
Ahhh... Forgot about the Seagull! I've played a few and they seemed to have really thick necks. Do you know if they make thinner versions?

My acoustic I actually like is a Jumbo tacoma! Always loved the way it sounded.

ahcleinad

Should look up old Yamahas. I bought a red label Yamaha FG-75 for around $140 off of eBay. A little bit smaller body, but definitely a great sound.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
^ Yes, old Yamahas, but if you can get an FG-xxx"S" the "S" will buy you a solid top, which goes a long way tone-wise.

wilder

Most of the Seagull's have a wide, but not terribly thick neck. They do make them with narrower nut widths as well, but they aren't as common. I've picked them up for as little as $100 bucks from DFW craigslist.

mrpinter

Gold Supporting Member
+1 on Yamaha acoustics. They're possibly the best of the beginner type or entry level guitars, and very well priced. And they're plentiful... shouldn't be hard to find a used one.

SPH77

Do all the vintage yamahas play well for the most part? I guess what I am asking is...did they make junk also in the 70s and 80s?

stephenT

I have a couple Recording King that I like BUT, I played a Bedell OM (i wasn't familiar with the brand either), $350 new that blew me away. Their site is under reconstruction but try to find one, great sound and playability.

gulliver

Silver Supporting Member
^ Not sure on that but can tell you mine is a FG441S from the '90s and it sounds killer. I also have an old Avarez Yari that is killer, but these can sometimes get pricey.

brc

If you dont mind an off brand, Delta guitars are great.
I have Gibsons and Guilds I do not take out of the house, and this Delta sounds and plays fantastic. It has a neck like the Gibson Humming bird, and actually looks like my Humming bird, for a fraction of the cost. They were built in Nashville, Tenn. but not sure if the are still manufactured or not.
Last time I saw one for sale, it was less than $200.00 used.
Another option is Riceage guitars. They sell seconds, or damaged guitars. I bought a new Epiphone Humming bird model for $72.00. Had a slight defect in the finish,<very small> plus I bought the Epiphone PR5 for $74.00 <new> It was missing the pre-amp which I found for $42.00.

samdjr74

Silver Supporting Member
Here's another vote for a Seagull but try their mini jumbo. I have one, great neck, not too big, not too small, nice volume and projection, light touch, easy to play and used I paid less then $200.

megawzrd

Silver Supporting Member
Seagulls if you like thick necks or Yamahas if you like thin would be my rec. I love my Seagull S6, used for a buck 75 five years back. Cant beat that.

S1Player

Ahhh... Forgot about the Seagull! I've played a few and they seemed to have really thick necks. Do you know if they make thinner versions?

My acoustic I actually like is a Jumbo tacoma! Always loved the way it sounded.
Seagull's necks are not really that thick. They are wide - not thick - but takes about 2 minutes of playing to get used to.

I have the based model S6 and it is a great, cheap guitar. You can pick up used for a couple hundred. Might be worth another look.

SPH77

Seagull's necks are not really that thick. They are wide - not thick - but takes about 2 minutes of playing to get used to.

I have the based model S6 and it is a great, cheap guitar. You can pick up used for a couple hundred. Might be worth another look.

Ahhh. Been several years since I played one. I just remember for some reason that it made my wrist uncomfortable.

jrw32

Hard to find, but I've found Eastmans are incredible, all-solid wood guitars for the money. I had an AC322-CE for a while that rivaled many similar Taylors, both in tone and playability. Bought it for $500.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom