Looking For A Small Amp. Any Suggestions?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Jimmy25, Feb 4, 2012.

1. Jimmy25

Jimmy25 Member

Hey Guys, I'm looking for a small size amp that I could easily carry around with me mainly between school dorm and my house, or sometimes other places. It's mostly going to be use for practice only, so I'm not going to need a loud volume, but I'm looking for an amp as small as possible, would be great if it's light, BUT MOST IMPORTANTLY, with decent sound quality, and also include distortion effect. I'm not so sure where does the small size amps range in price, but I can tell you I'm kind of on a limited budget (no worries, just give me the amp name and price, I'll do the math and figure out which one works best for me). I mean, the amp doesn't need to be awesome, it's just for practicing in a small room.

BTW, it's for my Fender 57 Reissue Stratocaster Made In Japan Since 1993.

Style of music I like to play: Blues, Jazz, Funk, Rock
    Some examples of the tone I'm looking for would be:

John Mayer
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GQkO3SGB3So&feature=related
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bWv3cZOBgpM&feature=related
    Jimi Hendrix
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bz85o1paFMQ
    Funk
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIqEDjabG-g&feature=related
    And sometimes I would play rock songs like this too
    (so I prefer there's distortion effect along with the amp)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEFa1f_WCms&feature=related

2. jordanL

jordanL Member

Look at one of the small modelers - Roland Microcube or Vox DA5. Either will allow you to get most basic tones. As an apartment dweller I usually play through a Microcube. YMMV - price around $125

3. DGTCrazy

DGTCrazy Moderator de Emporio Staff Member

If I were you ( in college, limited budget), and I owned an iPhone, I'd be all over Amplitude or a similar app. It gets the job done, and very quietly I might add.

If you're dead set on owning a Two Channel Amp that's inexpensive, what about the GDEC series from Fender? Small, compact, full of features....

If you really want your JM tones....and have the $$$, then I'd suggest a Two Rock Gain Master combo.

4. theruley

theruley Member

5. Drawde

Drawde Member

I have the super champ which I love, and think sounds really good. There is the smaller version thought the fender vibro champ xd. $239

6. Pax

Pax Gold Supporting Member

VHT Special 6 would work.

7. JUSTJOB

JUSTJOB Member

Pignose 7-100 is a great sounding inexpensive amp worthy of consideration as well.

8. s2y

s2y Member

Do you really need an amp? When I was in college, I had a strict enough RA, that my amp could barely be heard. I ended up using a Korg Pandora II with headphones, which worked well enough. I would have been happier with the newer stuff, but mine was cutting edge back then.

9. Sidmore

Sidmore no talent hack Silver Supporting Member

I have the ac4tv-mini but you can't get any real distortion without really driving it and that can get LOUD. For practice I like Vox's amPlug lead - it has distortion and delay and you can use it with headphones or plug it into some powered computer speakers...

10. musicofanatic5

musicofanatic5 Supporting Member

a sixties Kalamazoo Model 2. One EL84 power tube, 10" spkr. Not more than maybe 20 pounds. Turn it up and it sounds like a million bucks for just a coupla hundred.

11. hook'npick

hook'npick Member

Vox VT40+ . Plenty of volume, all sorts of modeling effects, tuner, input for Ipod.

12. cratz2

cratz2 Member

I'd get a Super Champ XD and replace the speaker with a Ragin Cajun if/when funds allow. Only drawback is it doesn't have a headphone jack. If that's important, I'd get the Mustang II.

13. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Master volume, reverb, built in attenuator, and sounds pretty good. Also has a line out/headphones jack.
    [​IMG]

14. Dale

Dale Member

All good options. I use my Micro Spider for many of these types of things. It is a battery amps as well if need be so it is a bot more versatile in that sense as well.

15. cardamonfrost

cardamonfrost Member

It may be a bit big, but the roland cube 30 is a brilliant amplifier.
    C

16. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

I'd get a Fender Blues Jr or a Peavey Classic 30. Maybe even a Carvin Nomad 16, if you like mid-heavy tones.

17. mrmatt1972

mrmatt1972 Member

Blackheart - personally I have the Handsome Devil combo and had the little giant head. Both are great single channel el84 amps, the devil brings the possibility of small gig/practice volume with some clean headroom that the LG doesn't. Both fit the bill for size and wight and volume restrictions. I play all the styles you mentioned.

18. Deathmonkey

Deathmonkey Member

^^ That reminds me, the smaller Black Star amps seem to be very well reviewed as well.

19. rockonomics

rockonomics Member

Brings back memories. If I find another one I'll get it. They're battery powered and sound purty damn good. For those who don't know, you can have someone open and close it while yer playing it for a wah effect. I always just opened it to where the tone was what I wanted. Simplest tone stack in da world.

20. Rama

Rama Member

I'get the GDEC.