Looking for a small board BUT...need advice.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by sickboy79, Feb 25, 2012.

1. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

I've NEVER owned a pedal board before. 90% of my pedals are boots/drive/fuzz so I usually just use one at a time. Batteries are fine for me.

I just bought a nice new OD pedal that's power supply only (Schroeder Audio Apollo OD). I'm thinking rather than have that one pedal plugged in with a long cord lying around the floor - why not get a small board and have 3-4 pedals at the ready.

Here's my dilemma/dealbreaker. I will not use velcro on my pedals. It's just a personal thing. Are there any small boards out there that would work? Maybe zip ties? Etc? I'm open to options/opinions.

Thanks!

2. telecasting

telecasting Member

3. jb4674

jb4674 Member

Zip ties? Really????

Why not try the command strips from 3M? They're removable and won't damage your pedals.

4. hawes

hawes Member

I have seen a few guys on here use chainlinks from a bike chain. You could try that route.

5. sickboy79

sickboy79 Member

Great idea! We have those command strips/hook in the house and they work great! I never would have thought of that!

Thanks for the info on the smaller boards as wll.

6. g-nem

g-nem Member

I've used bike links - they work well, but have a few drawbacks: depending on the pedal they may not fit where the screw enters the pedal; sometimes the pedals don't come with screws that are long enough to accomodate the chain link; you end up chewing up your board if you rearrange pedals too much. But when they work they are rock solid.

What are command strips?

7. BoyWearingVans

BoyWearingVans Member

I use screw eyes and zip ties because I also hate velcro. I will post a pic in a sec :)

8. bpdeem

bpdeem Member

My first pedal board was an old cutting board my wife and I were going to throw away. I got a surge protector that I plugged things into and Velcroed everything down. It fit into an awesome old Jansport backpack. Then I got too much stuff and picked up a Road Runner board, which is cheap but durable. If you've got 5-8 pedals it works just fine.

Velcro sucks, but its the easiest cheapest and fastest way to git 'er done.

9. jnepo1

jnepo1 Silver Supporting Member

GE HOUSEHOLD GLUE

It is silicon based, apply it on the 4 corners of the pedal and apply it to the surface while pressing down on the pedal while twisting. Because it is silicon, it won't dry completely, but adheres very well. It won't harm or remove paint. If and when you need to remove the pedal, a little twisting and lifting the pedal is all it need. Then just peel or rub the Household glue off of the pedal and board. No scratches, no paint removal, no residue.

A tube will cost around $4 and is enough to mount an entire pedalboard's worth of pedals (12 pedals or so).

I use it for mounting pedals as well as mounting wood risers onto my boards. The hold is very strong.

10. MikeVB

MikeVB Supporting Member

Velcro is easily and completely removable with naptha.