looking for a small practice amp

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by AdamSH89, Mar 3, 2015.

1. AdamSH89

AdamSH89 Member

Hey fellas, wanting some perspective. I'd like to get a small, decent sounding amp for bedroom and student use. I may do some fun stuff running it mic'd up in stereo with my main amp live, but primarily it'll serve the two functions listed above. I'm thinking of something with the following characteristics:

-Solid state (to sound good at low volumes and not throw curve balls at my students)
    -Lightweight (may need to carry it around a good bit)
    -inexpensive (would love to spend under $500. in a perfect world, it'd be under $200. Students may be using this guy and it'll probably be my beater amp)
    -have some resale value (in case I just wind up not needing it anymore)
    -be able to not fizz out with pedals (in case I ever do any small fun stereo nonsense)
    -Have a decent sound (I won't be tracking albums with it, but I want to not roll my eyes every time I plug in.)

I've heard good things about the Vox pathfinder, but I'm also seeing multiple versions out there, with barely any good demos on Youtube. Does anyone have any experience with these, or any other amp that'll fit the bill somewhat closely? Thanks.

2. briwinters

briwinters Member

Not sure how small you are looking for and/or how loud. I use a Roland Micro Cube GX a lot at home....run it on batteries, plop it on my coffee table when the mood hits me. The high gain settings a little buzzy for my tastes but the clean and low gain sounds surprisingly good. About 150 out the door. The other amps you may want to look at are the Fender Mustang line. I use them at work and I was suprised that I can get decent tones out of them fairly easily. I know a lot of people love the Pathfinders but I actually prefer the sounds I've gotten from the Mustang amps when I've compared new models. Your results may vary of course.��

3. Neopolitian

Neopolitian Member

If I was buying a solid state practice amp right now it would be a Yamaha THR 10. Buy used for cheap. Sell it later for no loss. Or buy a second for a WIDE stereo field.

4. gearscrubs

gearscrubs Supporting Member

+1 for Yamaha THR10 amps.

5. Phletch

Phletch Member

I'll throw in another vote for the Yamaha THR10. Mate of mine has one, and I can't think of anything better for what the OP is describing for his needs.

6. pbmw

pbmw Member

Another vote for the THR10
    I've been playing the CRAP out of mine.

7. Artjr

Artjr Member

I use my boss me25 with headphones , has a loop , aux input for backtracks, small ,it runs on battery's if needed,All kinds of sounds. I have a cube something 40 I can't remember it been so long since I used it.

8. PaulieC

PaulieC Member

+1 for mustang and micro cube cool little amps and durable as hell.

[​IMG]

9. crunchman

crunchman Member

Fender Mustang stuff too !!

10. jlinde

jlinde Member

Silvertone 1481. Lightweight, cheap, reliable and fat tube tone with no fizz. Not sure with solid state as I don't use them.

11. rotlung

rotlung Member

It seems I'm the only who things those Yamahas sound terrible.

12. blackmonday

blackmonday Member

I like the Microcube and really like the Peavey VIP-1. I had a Mustang and loved the Fendery tones but hated the high gain stuff. The Vip-1 really shines.

13. MarkWW

MarkWW Member

Try the Vox Mini5...comes with drum samples too.

14. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Tech 21 Trademark 30. Very cool amps... great Fender/Marshall/Mesa tones built in, down to literally whisper quiet. 14lbs. Not sure how they take pedals. Which is about the only negative thing I've ever read about the Yamaha THR series... that they don't take pedals well... but I have no first hand experience with them and pedals. I did have a THR10C but I'd pick the TM30 over that were I to revisit that type of budget SS amp.

15. jay42

jay42 Member

Fender Mustang III v2 -- it will come in handy