Looking for a solid grab n go combo/head & cab

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by hunter_beckgerd, Apr 11, 2015.

1. hunter_beckgerd

hunter_beckgerd Member

I am currently playing through a Matchless Clubman head that I absolutely love. I use an Avatar 1x12 cab with it, and it sounds great.

Lately, I've really been thinking on getting something smaller and more portable but with some cool vibe/mojo to it (I like boutique stuff). I'm open to head and cab or combos but want a light load. Thinking something with some decent headroom that eats pedals as I get all my tones from pedals.

Not sure what I want but thinking of something in the vein of boutique Princeton style amps (Vintage Sound V22sc for example) or maybe another Matchless like a small box Spitfire.

I know of a lot of the options out there but struggling to wade through all the options and wrestling with if I really want to get rid of an amp I love for size/weight reasons (I'm pretty positive I do though. Every time I lug that 46 lb head and 45 lb cab up three flights of stairs to my apartment, I can't get the idea of a light amp off my mind.) So looking for something in the 35 lb and under range for a combo or similar for head and cab.

Shoot me your ideas/opinions! Please and thank you :)

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  2. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

The Mesa TA-15 comes with a small over the shoulder bag to carry it in and has stellar tones! The TA-30 has the option of a combo, but it's a bit more.

EDIT: Here's a good demo video.

3. hunter_beckgerd

hunter_beckgerd Member

Those are discontinued now, and I'm not into Mesa. Thanks for the opinion!

4. LPMojoGL

LPMojoGL Music Room Superstar Supporting Member

I played a Dr. Z Maz 38 1x12 the other day that would be a great grab n go pedal platform. Plenty of headroom and great sound.
    Also, the videos of the Swart AST sound great. Seems to eat pedals up. Dunno about headroom.

5. Sparky6string

Sparky6string Member

Ah, then I recommend a Princeton style amp or a Spitfire.

6. hunter_beckgerd

hunter_beckgerd Member

I've had a Carmen Ghia and a Maz 18 before. Wonderful amps. Just want something different and lighter.

7. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

I'd recommend a Jackson Ampworks McFly. Can get great American tones and is tiny. Here's their NewCastle in their new 1x12 combo.

[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. swellguy66

swellguy66 Member

The 1x12 combo measures 21.5" x 18.5" x 11.5".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

9. Link Ramone

Link Ramone Member

Don't know your budget but you can't go wrong with a Vibrolux for your situation. You can still find old silverfaces for fairly reasonable prices. 35-40 watts, two 10s and about 40-45 pounds. Easy to carry and can push enough air for almost any situation. Brilliant cleans but can get plenty gritty once you get to halfway and up on the volume, especially with humbuckers IMO. For several years in the 90s I played an LP Custom through a VR with just a TS-9, a Chandler Tube Driver, black-box Muff and an old Ibanez analog delay for effects. My all-time favorite mass-production amp.

10. hunter_beckgerd

hunter_beckgerd Member

Anybody had much experience with the vintage sound, Goodsell, or Matchless small box amps. Those are some I'm kinda leaning towards.

11. monkmiles

monkmiles Supporting Member

The Frenzel heads are nice and portable and lots of options. Matching a head with different cabs can help in portability.

12. yell03

yell03 Member

You are kind of where I am at.

I went with a Fender 65 DRRI, but even that is a little big.

I also have a Fender Pro Junior with a Jensen Speaker.
    I played out a few weeks ago and I was able to fit my Guitar, pedals, and Pro Jr in my 2014 Vette Convertible which is small.
    The Pro Jr is decent, but sounds a bit boxy compared to the DRRI which sounds fantastic.

Alessandro combo amps are only 35lbs for a 1x12 combo.
    They have a great reputation. He is located only 10 minutes from me, but I have not went that route yet.

[​IMG]

13. Catch

Catch Analog>Digital Converter

Look into the Carr Viceroy--it is an outstanding grab n go amp, so light but serious tone and power. 33 and 7 watts with an incredible mid boost. I've never been happier with a tube combo amp.

Also consider the Carr Skylark...I will likely break down and get one of those too. It's in the Princeton vein.

14. vltjd

vltjd Supporting Member

Redplate. I will selfishly plug the CosmicDust Duo head I have for sale in the emporium, although for true grab and go you might prefer their AstroDust combo. You want a variety of Fender cleans, from black to brown to tweed? It's in there. You want a Dumblesque overdrive? It's in there. Marshall like tones? It's in there. Two overdrive channels that can be cascaded, a footswitch that can allow 18 varieties of sound, half power switch, effects loop and more is a lot to offer.

15. jklotz

jklotz Supporting Member

16. Arewenotmen?

Arewenotmen? Member

I was actually going to recommend a Goodsell. The Super 17 is spectacular, but honestly, I've liked every model of his that I've tried. Plus they are super light without sacrificing build quality.

I've never tried a Matchless small box, so I'm not sure how the two would compare.

17. JackStraw12

JackStraw12 Supporting Member

You don't like Mesa. A Subway rocket, I use an Express 5:25+ combo as my grab and go.

18. FFTT

FFTT Member

Reeves Custom 30 MKII combo
    Bad Cat Black Cat 15R, 30R or Cub 40 series III.
    Magic Amps Vibro Prince or Gries 12 Reverb
    Allen Amps Encore
    Viking Amps Pillager 30, 60, 90
    Gries 35
    Magnatone

Vintage Ampeg Gemini I or Reverberocket
    Vintage Vibrolux Reverb

19. Astronaut FX

Astronaut FX Member

Mesa Boogie Mark Five: 25

Doesn't get much more grab 'n go yet fully featured, terrific sounding, and completely versatile.

20. tenbender

tenbender Supporting Member

Satellite Barracuda with a single 12" Creamback.