• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Looking for a speaker for a 1x12 to use with my 68 Bassman

Agileguy_101

Within the next month or two, I'm going to order an Avatar 1x12 for my Bassman head. Sometimes, the Bunyan sized matching cab is just too much, plus the 1x12 will look nice in my room. The only issue is what speaker I should get. In my cab, I have a mix of two different speakers - an Eminence Cannabis Rex and a hemp coned V30. I really like the tone from these two speakers, and I'd like to get something similar out of the 1x12. Is there a speaker that will give me the best of both worlds? If not, to those that have used a 1x12 with a BF bassman, what speakers have given you the best results?

Someone suggested using a Texas Heat - thoughts?

smolder

Platinum Supporting Member
Er... Bassmans are rated way above 30W. I don't want to blow the speaker.

yep, wasn't thinking about that, mostly focused on the tone. I ran a C-gold with mine for a while, then a EVL-15, but those don't match what you described. Love my 417 8C, but that's not available from Dave. If you want to go away from the speakers Avatar carries a scumback H series would sound killer.

atson67

Er... Bassmans are rated way above 30W. I don't want to blow the speaker.
You won't if you keep the volume at 3-4 and use pedals for OD.
Bassman sound great with a G12H30 anniversary.
Private Jack and G12-65 are good choices as well.

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
So go with a scumback H75 and get the 65 watt model.....that is a higher powered g12h30.......I have been using a G12h30 and it hasnt blown yet.....

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
I run a cannabis rex in my 1x12 avatar cab with my Bassman Head. I'm very happy with the results. MY favorite 12 inch speaker.

Lublin

I've used my '68 Bassman (AB165/AA864 mod) with a Bad Cat Vintage 30 and it sounded GREAT!

Agileguy_101

I should have mentioned - I'm currently running my amp into a hemp coned V3, and I don't like it. I want a speaker with a higher RMS rating. I don't like that much speaker breakup when I turn it up around 7.

I run a cannabis rex in my 1x12 avatar cab with my Bassman Head. I'm very happy with the results. MY favorite 12 inch speaker.
I like the Cannabis Rex. I have one in my 2x12 along with the other one of my hemp coned V30's - that cab smokes. I wonder how much of that is the combination of the two speaker though...

I need to fix something in my cab anyway. Maybe I should try the rex out in my 1x12 and see how I like it.

ledzep618

Either way, your Bassman head impedance is going to require a 4 ohm speaker. So you're going to be limited pretty much to Webers unless you mismatch a load. Which should be okay with the bassman trannies, but you may not like the sound...

cr8z4life

Gold Supporting Member
Yea, forgotto mention that mine has been modded and updated and can run 8 or 16 ohms..........

Agileguy_101

Whe I got mine, it came without the original transformer. The one I have in it now has taps for 4, 8, and 16.

ledzep618

Nice! That makes things easier. Try an alnico. Choose one based on the wattage of your Bassman...I'd go gold or blackhawk (maybe even blackhawk HP if you need the juice)

Whe I got mine, it came without the original transformer. The one I have in it now has taps for 4, 8, and 16.

Calloway

Silver Supporting Member
I understand there is an impedance mismatch, but it has never bothered me when I use my 1x12 or even my 1x15 (emi big ben) with the Bassman. I don't like overly bright speakers and the C Rex fits my needs well. My Bassman is a silver face and a little bright, so the C Rex works perfect, and more than handles the power that the Bassman puts out.

spaceman_spiff

Gold Supporting Member
I've been using an Emminence Governor in a Stage Craft West Coast Pine 1-12 (great cab btw), and really dig the mids the Governor provides; it's a loud speaker (103 dB I think) and is purported to be based on a Celestion Vintage 30. Personally, I like the Governor much more than the V30. Works great in a band situation -- home playing, not so much.

Jatmosphere

I use an older English G12H in a 1x12 cab w/ my '66 bassman and it sounds amazing. Never had an issue w/ the speaker blowing. It's way loud so I never have it louder than 4 or 5.

Trending Topics