Looking for a Strummer...

kstraine

Like the title says, I'm not much into picking or fingerstyle, I just want something that gives a great tone while being worked back and forth hard... is that a little TOO descriptive for you? haha... anyway, hope you get the idea. Price range is 1000 - 1500. Let me know...

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
to me, a good gibson is tops for strumming and singing over. a classic martin will let your flatpicking be heard next to the banjo player, and taylors have that shimmery quality that's so nice for pretty inversions and fingerpicking, but if you think pete townsend, the everly brothers, or john mellencamp, that's a big ol' gibson all the way. you just have to look for a good one.

(obviously, this is a generalization, and you can find plenty of models from each company that cop the other's vibe somewhat.)

bynt

I don't know if you're looking solely at new, but I'm a big fan of those old Guilds (I actually like them for fingerstyle stuff, too). They are boats, they're loud, great strummers and you can paddle your boat with them and then play after you've reached shore.

New I would say a Taylor 310 (CE if you want electric acoustic). Best bang for the buck out there. I think it's a great middle of the road for strumming and fingerstyle.

My Tacoma (pre Fender) does a good job strumming, too. It's a loud guitar.

Peppy

With $1500 take your time. You live in an area where there should be a lot of models from various makers. Not just Martin, Gibson, Taylor and Guild but also Collings, Santa Cruz, etc. It may not be easy but $1500 can get you a nice used guitar from some first-rate builders.

driches

i'm definitely a strummer, and i play a Martin HD28V. it's a little out of your price range, but something along those lines should work well (maybe the standard 28). very loud, but great resonance and tone. i get compliments all the time.

coldfingaz

I'd have to start with Guild. If you can find a new D40, try that first. It's at the upper end of your range, but they are really great sounding dreads. There's tons of used Guild options (D25, D35, D40, D50, DV52, etc.) too.

I'd also suggest you try every single Gibson, Larrivee, Martin & Taylor in your price range that you can get your hands on. There's no way you'll come up empty.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom