Looking for a super strat

Fricadelle59

Hello

I really like my 2014 american standard stratocaster in terms of playability (although reaching high notes is not that convenient) and usually keep it in blues territory but lately I ventured into some shred stuff (van halen, malmsteen, jason becker etc.).

I was wondering what were my options for a strat that could handle a little bit more gain, vibrato abuse, better access to high notes...

I've read that Dimarzio pickups (area 58s and 61s) were nice. I also think Paul gilbert achieves interesting tones with his last signature model (FRM100 with dimarzio single coils). Just help me understand, why do those pickups work in high gain settings?

I don't know about vibrato abuse, if some vibrato "architecture" are more suited than others.

Judging by some picks I have seen, it seems that recent fender stratocaster american deluxe guitars are "optimized" for high notes reach (the part were the neck joins the body is curved)

Of course one option would be the malmsteen models. But I am not so sure about the scalloped neck. Does non scalloped malmsteen strat exist?:) A second option would be to just find a american deluxe stratocaster and put in those dimrazio pickups.

What do you guys think?
thanks

mystixboi

Why not try just changing the pick guard with a loaded HSS pick guard? You could even then change the neck pick up to and a single size humbucker

Panzer917

The only difference between Yngwie, Becker and Van Halen is neck profiles and pickup preference.

a basic well set up strat is perfectly fine to play any of theur desired music. Tone wise, you have a mashup of single coil tones with humbucker tones.

as has been suggested, add a replacment pickguard with a set of Yngwie Furys or even Dimarzio Hs3? Will allow you to get mostly there for everything except Eddies vibrato abuse.

xjojox

Tardis-dwelling wanker
If I were gonna go the super strat route right now I’d probably go for a Suhr Modern Satin. Nice neck, carved neck joint, sounds great with gain, not too pricey.

ckfoxtrot

You mentioned the Fender American Deluxe Strats. I have one that I really love. The rounded neck heel feels great when playing high frets. It also stays in tune very, even with a lot of trem use. I'm not sure how much of a difference it makes, but Fender suggests starting the strings into their locking tuners at different positions (something like from low E to high E, the keyhole should be at 5 o'clock, 4, 3, 3, 2, 1... I always have to recheck it when I restring, lol). They also have a 9.5-14 compound radius fretboard. The S-1 switching is nice too.

However, I'd suggest maybe looking for something with a floyd rose. That way you can get into even heavier trem use and some of the different tricks/effects a lot of the "shredders" produce from a FR equipped guitar.

Artjr

Supporting Member
I had some guitar center bucks to get rid of and was looking for something with HH with a Floyd. I just order a used Schecter Sun Valley Super Shredder. I never played one , but for $350 I figured I’d take a chance.

MmcGrouty

The Yngwie pickups are very low output. I wouldn’t go with those. I’d be looking for a non-fender, probably an Ibanez, Charvel, or ESP.

milli vanilli

I second the Charvels, but if the blocky strat heel bugs you look into the Jackson Soloist and and Ibanez RG Prestige...

JonSick

I would go Charvel over Jackson's midrange options for a few reasons. They both play great, but I don't like direct mounted humbuckers (they sound weird to me) and the Charvels come in some really awesome colours and finishes. Neck-wise they both play really nice and fast.

As for the DiMarzios you mentioned, personally I haven't tried them. I have tried a lot of humbuckers, including those recommended by the stars and personally I find some of the signature offerings only really sound good at LOUD gigging volume. Maybe it's just me.

For me, a run of the mill DiMarzio Super Distortion or a Duncan Custom get the job done really nicely (I'm a Marshall guy).

First, don't go crazy with the high output HBs, as they just don't have the harmonic depth. Paul's pups I'll wager aren't that high. As far as guitars, Ibbys are a great choice, as are Charvels, Jacksons, & ESP/LTD. My suggestion is to go to the fun store & play everything. Neck preference is why, as it's so subjective. & you'll also hear different pups & may find used gear you never heard of & like. Don't like the guitars in the store, try Reverb. Every so often I see 90s steals for the price. & last, don't be afraid of Floyds.

Reverb examples.
https://reverb.com/item/13329996-ibanez-prestige-dark-blue-metallic
https://reverb.com/item/3909891-jac...loss-white-w-rosewood-fretboard-reconditioned
https://reverb.com/item/7168254-jackson-performer-ps4-90s-maroon-reverse-headstock-floyd-rose
https://reverb.com/item/13310817-charvel-pro-mod-dk24-hh-ht-maple-neck-charcoal-grey
https://reverb.com/item/13278979-mim-fender-stratocaster-hss-plus-top-with-locking-temelo-bridge
https://reverb.com/item/13264959-ibanez-js1000-2000-black-pearl

Hello

I really like my 2014 american standard stratocaster in terms of playability (although reaching high notes is not that convenient) and usually keep it in blues territory but lately I ventured into some shred stuff (van halen, malmsteen, jason becker etc.).

I was wondering what were my options for a strat that could handle a little bit more gain, vibrato abuse, better access to high notes...

I've read that Dimarzio pickups (area 58s and 61s) were nice. I also think Paul gilbert achieves interesting tones with his last signature model (FRM100 with dimarzio single coils). Just help me understand, why do those pickups work in high gain settings?

I don't know about vibrato abuse, if some vibrato "architecture" are more suited than others.

Judging by some picks I have seen, it seems that recent fender stratocaster american deluxe guitars are "optimized" for high notes reach (the part were the neck joins the body is curved)

Of course one option would be the malmsteen models. But I am not so sure about the scalloped neck. Does non scalloped malmsteen strat exist?:) A second option would be to just find a american deluxe stratocaster and put in those dimrazio pickups.

What do you guys think?
thanks
Update?

Trending Topics