Looking for a sweet funky clean machine!!!

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by ShredHeadJHJ, Feb 18, 2009.

1. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

I'm posting this for my friend. I'm trying to help him get some recommendations on a new amp to get. He's looking to spend no more than $1200 on a combo, used would be fine.

I think his first criteria is that he wants something with a funky thick clean. He doesn't want to be able to slice it with butterknife. At the same time he wants to be able to dail this sound in to get more sparkle too. He also wants a good dynamic bluesy crunch. A good rock/metal distortion wouldn't make things worse either, but I think that's at the bottom of his list of priorities.

I think he's got his hopes set on finding a combo in the price range specified... If he finds a head I think he wants to spend less because he would need a cab too.

He is picky & he wants good tones. If all this is possible in the $1200 range let me know. I'm thinking a Lonestar or Legacy, but I'm not sure. More leaning towards the Lonestar, but I'm not sure what all the Legacy is capable of.

2. steadygarcia

steadygarcia Member

A sweet funky clean machine? He can pick up a real sweet SF Twin for that kind of cash and still have money left over for bell bottoms and a vest!

3. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

I don't have one but a Heritage Victory would fit both his wallet and requirements very well.

4. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Used Lonestar=Loud, clean, and greasy. TRRI brand new loud and squeaky clean. DRRI not as loud, clean, and greasy when you want. For $1200 you have an unlimited choice of amps for what your looking for.

5. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

What's that??

What's that??

What's that??

Sorry I'm not a big gear head. I don't know what all these abbreviations mean. I'm trying to help a friend.

6. unvs

unvs Member

SF Twin = Silverface Twin
    TRRI = Twin Reverb Re-Issue
    DRRI = Deluxe Reverb Re-Issue

7. ShredHeadJHJ

ShredHeadJHJ Member

Someone recommended a Port City combo... Also, what about Dr. Z?? Any thoughts on these brands.

8. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Check out the 59 Bassman LTD. Killer amp. Great for what you're looking for. And not nearly as expensive - I know there's one in the emporium as we speak for about $700.

9. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

Dr. Z Maz 38 would be good and sparkly clean, and capable of being LOUD.

10. frankiestarr

frankiestarr Supporting Member

You might like the DR Z EZG 50.....Real loud and clean, great reverb....Not as shrill as a twin....

11. mrmax

mrmax Member

Boogie DC 10 combo :AOK:AOK:AOK:dude

12. Bikedude

Bikedude Gold Supporting Member

Your Twin isn't shrill, but I know your packin a 15 in it.

13. ReginaldBisquet

ReginaldBisquet Member

Perhaps this is sacrilegious, but I have found solid state amps deliver excellent clean tones within a wide range of volume. Check Craigslist for deals on used stuff.

14. shark_bite

shark_bite Member

Gross! Go back to the 80s!

(heh, just kidding, sort of ;))

15. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Sliverface or Blackface Super Reverb

16. geng

geng Member

Mesa Lone Star is great for that, also lots of features like 10, 50 or 100w power and tweed mode, 6L6 or EL34 power tubes, two channels (and few modes) nice reverb and fx loop. Pedal friendly.

Weights a lot, at least 2x12 combo. There is also Lone Star Special, 30 watt with EL84 power tubes.

17. Rick360

Rick360 Member

Howdy,

Don't rule out the old red knob Fenders. My Super 112 and "The Twin" are great for sparkling clean tones-and they're affordable on the used market. Good luck!

Rick360

18. doctord02

doctord02 Member

Just make sure you have roadies and workmans comp. That red-knob twin is a backbreaker as I recall... something like 85 lbs?

19. Guitar Dave T

Guitar Dave T Member

I had a red knob Super 60 and it weighed a ton.

I don't know if other red knobs were like this, but the Super-60 had a very weak, insipid sounding clean channel (and the OD channel was completely opposite - way over the top - go figure). I had mine modified so the clean actually had some more punch, and it worked very well for both clean and as a pedal platform.

Finally someone else liked its sound better than I did, enough to make a decent offer on the amp, so I sold it, bought my first of 3 Fender Blues Deluxes, and never looked back.

I still believe the Blues Deluxe clean channel (just ignore the dirty channel - pretend it's not even there) is the best full volume gigging amp Fender has built in 30 years. The clean is everything you would expect in a Twin Reverb, with a little more punch and not so much extra volume that you can't get a good sound at lower levels (like with some Twins). It is also the best pedal platform I've ever owned, if you're also into pedals.

20. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

You should be able to get a Custom Shop "Fender Musical Instruments" (not the later mass manufactured "Professional Tube Amplifier" version) Prosonic 2x10 combo in pristine condition in that range. Put a 12" baffle and speaker and a set of NOS tubes in it and your friend should be in versatile tone sculpting, gig ready nirvana. Clean, Blues to Metal.

I gigged one for years.

60 watts.

Sit it on top of a 4x12 for larger venues.

Killer.