Looking for a Tele: Korean or MIM?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by crambone, Mar 7, 2015.

1. crambone

crambone Supporting Member

I am looking at a few Tele's on eBay (I know, I hate the place, too but I can't find one here or on my local Craigslist that really tickles my fancy and I need one within the next week) and I wanted to compare 2 separate models:

2006 Lite Tele (made in Korea and serial number on the back of the headstock, simple "Fender" on the front with nothing else) S/N 06023020

2009 Special Tele ("Telecaster" and "Made in Mexico" on the front of the headstock along with the serial number underneath the Fender logo) S/N MZ8210537

Any advice? Are both legit? I don't want to buy a Squier that has been dressed up to look like a Fender. For what it's worth, my budget is NO MORE THAN $500.00 with shipping and a case. I am only buying this guitar for my bar cover band and I don't care how it looks as long as it plays halfways decent.

Thanks in advance!

2. brainhurricane

brainhurricane Member

I'm one of those people that will probably start some sort of stupid argument, but I've been so impressed with the Fenders that have been coming out of China lately.

Yes, I'm one of the Classic Vibe crowd. I haven't owned a classic vibe, but I did have a Squier J Mascis Jazzmaster and a Modern Player Jazzmaster - both were absolutely fantastic quality. That being said, for me, Mexico > Korea, though I've felt some really rough MIMs recently (that haven't come close to the Chinese quality lately). Just my two cents.

3. crambone

Understood, thanks for the input. I am basically looking for blonde, ash or swamp for the body and the rest is kinda fluff for me.

4. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

A touch hypocritical if you ask me.
    What does your local GC have?
    A basic MIM Tele on the used rack is $299 out the door all day long. Cases are $69-$90.
    That still leaves you $100 for strap locks, fresh strings, and a strap.
    No shipping needed.

5. crambone

My local GC and Music Go Round were bare as well. GC had an MIM in sunburst but I really want ash, swamp or blonde. Kinda weird to be hung up on the color but I want what I want, know what I mean?

And my Squire comment was not a knock against Squier; I simply do not want a Squier that has been modded to look like a Fender (stickers added, etc.). That's all.

6. custom53

custom53 Member

Just from my own personal experience, if you don't want a USA model, keep the older MIJ Tele's in mind too..

7. DeVilleDude

DeVilleDude Member

Used MIJ / CIJ is my recommendation. My JD tele is amazing.
    After that, +1 for CV.

8. tuj

tuj Member

Rondo Tele.

that's coming from a guy with 7 Fenders.

9. crambone

Thanks, guys. I found a Blonde Baja on the Emporium here, waiting on a PM to be returned. Hope that pans out.

10. filtersweep

filtersweep Member

I was burned by a bad Tele I purchased through the emporium- excellent condition meant dead frets, a bad ground, and a trip to the Luthier (bridge was not in the right position). This was certainly impacted by the seller's actions- not in manufacturing- as they were related to upgrades.

I purchased the same model - MIM- new, on clearance, mail order- under $500 minus case.

11. crambone

The Emporium guy here still hasn't returned my PM but just this morning someone on CL posted an MIM Tele in all-white with a tweed case for $400.00. I am meeting him at 5 pm today. If all goes well I will post pics when I get home with it!

12. winterblu

winterblu Supporting Member

Look for a used MIJ tele, they're generally real good.

13. Ilduce

Ilduce And now for something completely different! Supporting Member

Hope it works out for you! If it doesn't you might want to check out a G&L Asat tribute. If you're not familiar, that's G&L's import line and from what I've read they're supposed to be pretty awesome for the money.

14. TheoDog

TheoDog Silver Supporting Member

I hope that's a keeper. Usually "Fender" on CL means "Squier Affinity"
    If it is a honest MIM, the body and neck will be good. Might be worth looking into bridge upgrades after you break it in.

15. crambone

Any tips for spotting a fake?