Looking for a totally unique 12 in speaker for cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Mike M, Oct 12, 2005.

1. Mike M

Mike M Supporting Member

I have a custom built mahogany open back cabinet. I need to find a speaker that is different than anything I have ever had. I currently have Aiken (greenbacks), Celestion Blues, Red Fang, Governor, G12H30's, Vintage 30's, Celestion Century. The amps I use are Aiken Invader, AC30 RI, Bad Cat Wild Cat, Fender Deluxe Tweed. Does anything stand out in mind that I could try with these amps that I have overlooked?

Thanks

2. RichSZ

RichSZ Member

Get one of those hemp cone Tone Tubby thingies...

3. baald

baald Member

how bout something with a field coil? those are always fun (though you;d need a power supply)

the tone tubby comment also reminds me that brown can recone various motors with hempcones. cele blue, greenback, v30 and JBL. one thing i'd like to try is a neo-mag motor of some kind with a hemp cone (dunno if they could do it though). any of those would sit in the "different" camp i think and work with your amps.

baald

4. GuitarsFromMars

GuitarsFromMars Member

urrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....how about a Jensen,not a new one,an old one...?

5. mad dog

mad dog Silver Supporting Member

Back to the hemp thing: I'd try the Cannabis Rex. Very curious about that speaker.

6. Norjef

Norjef Member

Illi-noise - governors making license plates
    Try A Weber Michigan ceramic--the best of EV SRO and EVM is one speaker---These sound great with EL 84, 34 Brit-voiced amps.
    Jeff R.

7. erksin

erksin Member

JBL D-120-F..?

8. Mr.Hanky

Mr.Hanky Supporting Member

Well if you want unique, try the Scumbag.

If you love Celestions try the Heritage series, they are fantastic.

9. Killa-B

Killa-B Member

FANE Alnico 12. Sounds incredible in almost every application. I've never heard a speaker that does the clean chime and super smooth overdrive so well. Power handling is 100W, so you can use it with almost any amp.

I've got a 16 ohm never opened from it's box. I was going to use it with my Joy Zee project, but now I've decided to use 2 FANE 10s instead. PM me if you are interested.

10. Reeek

Reeek Member

I have a fully functional Altec-Lansing 600-B Dia-Cone from the late 40's/early 50's that I'd let go for a good price . . . Heavy Alnico magnet. 3" voice coil I believe. 8 Ohm. 12". It's only rated fror 20 watts though.

11. GasMask

GasMask Member

Tone Tubby would be "unique" and work well in an open back cab. Nice collection of speakers you have. Missing is more of a tight, high power speaker if you are looking to round out your collection.

12. drbob1

drbob1 Silver Supporting Member

Yup, missing anything Jensen, JBL or Fane-any one of those would give you another flavor...

13. laurencer83

laurencer83 Member

how about a scholz 100 watt speaker? they're used in the harry joyce cabs and i'm really digging mine. it sounds even better when paired with a low bass resoance speaker. they're great for getting the most clean head room out of an amp.

my 2x12 hj cab with scholz speakers is paired up with my orange 2x12 with heritage celestion 30 watters.

it's incredible to play through both cabs at once.

14. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

I have one and I like it. Very smooth, which works well for lead tones. I have it in a ported, closed back cabinet, but want to try it in an open-back.

Bryan

15. SarasotaSlim

SarasotaSlim Member

I see you have a Celestion G12 Century on your list already. I have one too. I just bought a Jensen 12 NEO and the more I use it the more I like it. Over the years I've had D and E JBLs, Altecs, EVs, SROs and this Jensen is pretty interesting. Celestion just came out with a "Vintage" G12 Century NEO that I wanna try. It has a plug style magnet like the old alnicos and it may lend itself more to that sound because of it.

16. bluesdoc

bluesdoc Gold Supporting Member Gold Supporting Member

I used a Century for a couple of years but was won over by the Jensen Neo, which I've now used exclusively for another couple of years. But now, I've got a Century Vintage which might just be the thing. I can't put into words the difference between the Jensen Neo and Cen Vintage, but I find myself gravitating towards the Cen Vintage cab more and more. It's a close call :rolleyes: :)

jon

17. THROBAK

THROBAK Gold Supporting Member

Try a Sammi Sound ME300B40 it has vintage style cone paper and is cheap.

For more bucks try a vintage Jensen P12R or P12Q with straight unribbed cones.

18. casazera

casazera Member

Also you could try a McGourty Ed tone or a Guytron Big Tone 55.