Looking for a versatile tube combo

ScottT

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and joined specifically to get feedback on some combo amps. I'm looking to upgrade my jet city jca2112 with something more versatile. I've been looking at egnater and Blackstar. My price range is about $800, I could spend a little more if it's really worth it. I've jamming with guys that like to play everything from blues to punk and hard rock. I have both single coil and humbuckers. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

Sent from my VS840 4G using Tapatalk

SKYHIGH

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and joined specifically to get feedback on some combo amps. I'm looking to upgrade my jet city jca2112 with something more versatile. I've been looking at egnater and Blackstar. My price range is about $800, I could spend a little more if it's really worth it. I've jamming with guys that like to play everything from blues to punk and hard rock. I have both single coil and humbuckers. Any suggestions or recommendations would be appreciated.

DRRI
AC15C1
Peavy Classic 30
Egnater

DaveKS

Have you tried pedals? Your gonna need a couple anyway to cover all those styles. That and a better speaker, how that dog of a speaker made it into a Soldano designed amp I'll never know.

A Mesa Express used would my be rec though at $800, but you'll still need at least 1 pedal.

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Egnater's good. I'm playing a Fender Machete these days, which is very flexible. I don't use any drive or distortion pedals with it at all and it'll cover everything from clean country to full on hair band roar. You can find them for under $1,000 if you look around.

I have an almost new Blackstar HT-40 for sale if you decide to go that way.

ScottT

Have you tried pedals? Your gonna need a couple anyway to cover all those styles. That and a better speaker, how that dog of a speaker made it into a Soldano designed amp I'll never know.

A Mesa Express used would my be rec though at $800, but you'll still need at least 1 pedal.
I have all the basic pedals od, chorus,delay,compressor,wah but my issue is that at the volume level when your playing in a band setting I can only get one useable tone. I entertained the idea of a speaker swap, do you think this would solve this issue?

DaveKS

Here's a video comparing stock speaker to a WGS retro 30.

Retro is a 100db SPL speaker, Emi that's in there probably a 96-97db. Very dull sounding next to Retro.

My fav, a Tone Tubby 40/40, 102db SPL of loud, proud and punchy hemp cone goodness. $130 at south valley vintage amps but worth every cent.

Also what sounds good to you at home alone and what sounds good in a band mix are 2 different things. In band you'll be cutting bass and pumping up mids and also probably dialing back gain on your amp and pedals. To much distortion just makes you disappear into a blur in the mix. Especially if there is more than one guitarist or a bassist that doesn't stay in his realm.

And also don't under estimate decent quality guitar leads, patch cables and even the use of a buffer if needed. All it takes is one crappy cable or one tone sucking pedal to rob you of your presence. Try removing 1 pedal at a time and see if you can find a tone sucker. A janky guitar lead if over 12-15ft can be major suckage. Try a good cable.

Also watch this, he also has many other great videos.

Last edited:

Sardocasm

cupcakes
Silver Supporting Member
I would also recommend a Mesa Mark III combo. They sound fantastic and the mark series amps are some of the most versitile amps out there.

Sent from my SH-06DNERV

Robbgnarly

No they made them into the mid 90's, look used and you can find one. they have some here in your budget sometimes www.guitarcenter.com/usedgear

Also look at a used Mesa DC-3 or DC-5 these are in the mark family and were made in the 90's also $500-$600 is what they typically run used