Looking for advice/feedback

Discussion in 'Member Video and Sound Clips' started by harry11733, Apr 8, 2015.

1. harry11733

harry11733 Member

I have reached a point in my playing were I really need to get a teacher. I am posting two clips of my playing to give an idea where I am. One is a simple funk blues and the other is a cover of Song for my Father.

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/minor-blues/funk10[/SOUNDCLOUD]

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/minor-blues/sfmf[/SOUNDCLOUD]

I would like to get a teacher who can teach by Skype and is very flexible since I will be a ****** student. I don't practice very efficiently and only want to learn certain things. I am also technically limited and at my age that isn't going improve any time soon. I particularly need to learn more about harmony and scales so that I can develop a more thoughtful approach to jazz tunes, but not too much since I get confused easily. I would also like to get some advice on improving my tone and the recordings.

Appreciated any suggestions.

2. harry11733

harry11733 Member

I am bumping this because I really would like to get some feedback and advice on finding a teacher.

3. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Hi,

Although not a teacher myself, would you allow me to critique your playing based on my own goals as a guitarist?

1) First, you possess a good sense of "playing for the song" or melody.
    2) Your phrasing is impeccable. Not only is note choice exceptional, you allow the music to breathe between phrases so the audience can digest what they've heard.
    3) Now, the counsel: In the funk blues tune, you seemed slightly restricted as to note choice. I detected some "box patterns" during the song that, to a listener, were contrite. Try not to limit your note choice to these patterns and stretch out your playing over the entire fretboard. You'll know when to do this during chord changes.
    4) For jazz tunes, it might be a good idea to also consider playing octaves ala Wes Montgomery or other familiar jazz guitarists. Octaves expands the realm of single line notes to interval structure. This can be a good thing for jazz players.
    5) In the funk blues tune, you did something wonderful about 2:35 to 2:40. I have no clue what it was, but it made me say, "Whoa! What was that?"
    6) Likewise in SFMF, there was this neat little descending run about 5:40 or thereabouts. That shows that you have the ability for learning more complex arpeggiations and other techniques.

You might consider connecting with an online teacher who can teach you at your own pace, instead of asking you to fulfill assignments on a regular basis.

Personally, I visited Truefire.com and purchased several video courses that can be viewed and reviewed at my own pace without any required assignments or course exams like those you might find in music college.

You might try Larry Carlton's Improv Series or Paul Brown's video course. Begins very simply, and progresses slowly until you feel more at ease with the video lessons. LC's Improv series is about $90 for 6 hours of downloadable video lessons, Paul's is about $39 or $49 for 3 or 4 hours (?). Also, a music and tab reader (depending on your computer's OS version, either free or $60 for the music reader.) Need help with the downloads? Truefire's online tech support chat can solve that for you.

Every so often, I'll plug into my amp and sit in front of my computer and study along with the video. Should do this more often, but like you, I study at my own pace and don't feel the need for doing the coursework with required assignments.

4. harry11733

harry11733 Member

Thanks for the feedback Campfired, I appreciate your effort. I have looked at the various online courses, which are very helpful, but would really like to speak to a living human teacher for a while. So, if anyone can recommend a teacher I would still like to hear from them.

5. Campfired

Campfired Gold Supporting Member

Best wishes to you. There may be several online teachers who can show you a variety of theory and techniques that you can practice at your own pace.

I strongly suggest that you find a teacher who will allow you to learn at your own pace. You need not feel obligated to perform in that manner, and learning at your own pace will not leave you feeling mentally tired at the conclusion of a day.

If it is possible to find a balance between your secular work and your practice, there will a greater chance that you will not need to spend more time doing your work.

Simply put, learn to adjust and apply what the teacher shows you, and practice that with the mindset that any hardship that you may experience is worth the effort. The quality of endurance will prove to be your friend. :)