Looking for advice on the best ES 335 type guitar...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by clmazza, Apr 15, 2016.

1. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

it could be Gibson or other....and I know "best" is subjective. I'm just looking to procure the finest playing and sounding example. I'm interested in your opinions. Thanks!

I tried a few Gibsons and they were just mediocre... (Mind you, I own a bunch if Gibsons so I'm not bashing). I play rock and blues

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  2. Doodlebum

Doodlebum Member

I have the Ken McKay Sunrise 19. I've had Gibson also but the McKay is much better ( in my experience ). It leaves nothing to be desired.

3. jlb32

jlb32 Member

They are all going to vary from guitar to guitar but for me Gibson 335's are the best for my personal taste in music. I've tried several brands but never could gel with any of the ones I tried. There were several Gibson 335's I couldn't gel with either but the ones I did gel with are pretty awesome. Just have yet to find any I like better.

Lewguitar likes this.
  4. daa2202

daa2202 Silver Supporting Member

5. bikeracr

bikeracr Supporting Member

Collings
    McKay
    Stevens
    Thorn Grantura
    b3 Water

6. Texsunburst59

Texsunburst59 Member

Audition in person as many Gibson 335's as you can get your hands on.

Eventually you'll be rewarded with the one that sounds and plays the best to you.

Without knowing your budget, I'd say trying to find a nice use Gibson 335 would be the way to go.

You'd get the most bang for your buck buying a used one.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2016
  7. clmazza

clmazza Supporting Member

Collings and Thorn have been on my radar for a while.... Certainly are inviting!

I really want to love the Gibby.... I need to get my hands on a 59 335. Specs out nicely...

8. MR.K

MR.K Member

I recently bought a Historic '58 335, beautiful guitar. A good bit less than a '59 just no neck binding. Everything else seems to be the same. Check them out and compare the two models specs. I got a good deal on mine: 1958 ES-335 VOS

Figaro likes this.
  9. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

Collings or '59 reissue 335. Rusty Anderson sig, also

10. AaeCee

AaeCee Member

Gibson 335s may or may not be good, typical for the brand. OTOH, every Collings 335 type I've seen or heard has been consistently superb, so while some others mentioned here are surely superb as well, I'd vote Collings for their remarkably consistent excellence.

11. gibsonES330

gibsonES330 Member

Same here - easily the best 335 I have ever owned (this is my 6th one).

MR.K likes this.
  12. straightblues

straightblues Member

You just need to go play as many as you can. I have owned a 335 and a 333. Both were very good. I have played a ton of Epiphone Dots that were average or bad. Then about 9 months ago I found a magic Epi Dot. It is the best ES335 type guitar I have ever owned. It smokes. I put OX4 pickups in it and I would seriously put it up against any 335 type guitar in terms of tone. I get compliments on it every time I play it and I rarely got comments on Gibson ES335. So go look and play stuff until you find the right ES type guitar. They are out there. When you find a great one, buy it, no matter what it costs.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  13. LaceSensor1

LaceSensor1 Member

Don't be shy of the Epi dot. There will be finish flaws but for the price it would be less of a mistake purchase than a gibson. I've really enjoyed mine and it sounds great. I would at least go play one and try it out. Very nice tuners, good pickups and overall electronics. The selector switch will switch with very little pressure which I don't like, but it was worth the money.

14. Chris Pile

Chris Pile Member

I bought an Ibanez Les Ritenour back in the 80's for $350. It was BY FAR the best 335 style guitar I had ever played. Like a dork - I sold it a couple years later for the same price. NOW - those things might as well be made of unobtainium. The John Scofield model is close... but still pricey.

TimeSnow likes this.
  15. 1radicalron

1radicalron Member

Heritage 535 - Made is the same Kalmazoo factory as the originals.

Marris Otter likes this.
  16. Figaro

Figaro Supporting Member

Gibson 335s are all different so you just have to play em until you find a good one. But the Memphis Custom Shop made 58 or 59 335s are consistently awesome. Every one I've played has been great. I have a 2009 50th Anniversay Custom Shop that's the best guitar I've every played in my 40+ years of playing. It has the perfect fat neck that plays like butta and the 57 Classic pickups just work with it perfectly.

17. WayneM

WayneM Member

I have owned nearly 100 guitars in my life....the first new one was a Epiphone Riviera (1965).
    The best guitar that I ever owned was a Thorn Grantura (see my small plum picture).

Here are some videos

Last edited: Apr 16, 2016
  18. boyce89976

boyce89976 Silver Supporting Member

The answer is in your question, young grasshopper. ;)

19. Krausewitz

Krausewitz Member

A lot of standard production Gibson 335s can be heavy, dull and choked. The reissue models might be better. I have a '63 Reissue from 2013 that is just phenomenal. Super light and airy and jangly....just what I was looking for in a 335.

I guess the first thing is 'what kind of 335 do you want?' (harder rocking or more jangly). From there you can start to narrow down your options.

20. John550

John550 Member

Gibson Memphis
    Limited Edition Wildwood Spec 1961 ES-335
    I picked up on of these , Troy is great to deal with .