1. During the first week of August 2020, we'll be upgrading the software TGP runs on to the currently available up-to-date version. The software version is a significant upgrade, so there will be some downtime as we do the work under the hood. We've got a team of professionals, including the software development company assisting the process. We've conducted substantial tests using backups of the current forum to ensure a smooth and successful upgrade. We've gone to great lengths on the design of the theme (aka 'skin' or look and feel) of the forum to offer a better user experience for members and visitors. The default theme will be new, yet clearly influenced by the classic TGP look. We will have a dark version of that also easily selectable. Also available will be a "Classic TGP" theme that closely matches the current theme you are accustomed to using with the current software. There is also an easy width adjustment to make it set width or expand to your window width for each theme. As we get closer, I'll update everyone so hopefully, no one will be caught by surprise.
    Dismiss Notice

Looking for an acoustic guitar under $500

Discussion in 'Acoustic Instruments' started by ducker 1, Mar 21, 2020.

1. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

now Im thinking used?

2. nam2212

nam2212 Member

Used Yamaha LL16M will occasionally show up on eBay or Reverb for around that. Fantastic guitars for the price.

themannamedbones and ducker 1 like this.
  3. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Is there a specific tone or genre that you play or prefer?

4. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

If I really had to do the same.......

something like this ...played one once upon a time and thought it performed quite admirably for it's price point.

[​IMG]

Vcaster and ducker 1 like this.
  5. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

I always loved the guitar sounds/tones of America

6. Vcaster

Vcaster Member

^ Gibson J-45

New Gibson acoustics will likely be out of your stated price range. Probably used Gibsons too. But that Tanglewood TW40-SD posted above by @quilsaw may be perfect for your budget.

The other “sound of America,” of course, being Martin. Definitely have to go used there; looks like the new models start in the $500’s.

Or search out a brand that makes it’s mark selling Martin clones. From what I know, Orangewood gets a lot of love in the press.

In my years of experience with acoustic guitars — and electric, for that matter — for the most bang for the buck, easiest to procure, highest quality-to-price ratio, widely reported as very playable right out of the box: Yamaha.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    quilsaw and ducker 1 like this.
  7. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

The group or the continent? I hope you mean the group.

What I really meant was a more bass presence tone as in Martin or more of a treble tone like Taylor?

ducker 1 likes this.
  8. uitar99

uitar99 Member

Simon and Patrick or Yamaha. My son uses a $299 Yamaha, ten years. I use the S and P ($425 bought for him 15 years ago). We are not kind to guitars. They have travelled, fallen, been mistreated and both keep on working. We just see them as tools. There's all kinds out there used or new.

9. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

thanks to all!-I had a Terada D45 clone many years back and actually gave it away-not because it was bad, it was actually a great instrument, but for other reasons. Would like to have it back LOL--Im def thinking Yamaha but will def look at the Tanglewoods-will have to wait out this Covid thing for now.--would love a J-45 -thats for sure

Vcaster likes this.
  10. ducker 1

ducker 1 Member

somewhere in the middle I guess

11. Black Squirrel

Black Squirrel Silver Supporting Member

12. Daytona57

Daytona57 Member

Takamine MIJ Professional series, are over built and have good electronics for performing. They can be had used at the same price as some new models.

I have a 1993 Takamine EN10C and this model used by Johnny Greenwood, Radiohead.

YMMV

ducker 1 likes this.
  13. Steadfastly

Steadfastly Member

Check out Alvarez and Eastman. A used Seagull Artist would be right up your alley. Finding one for $500.00 might be the difficult part.

ducker 1 likes this.
  14. quilsaw

quilsaw Member

All good points. I'd have preferred to recommend an Eastman option, but they'd likely rise above his pricing limit, even used, which might push him to $800 or better. Not familiar with Orangewood, so I'll have to check that out. Yamaha's, of course, remain a budget favorite and can be nice...especially the well regarded "red-label" models from the 70's. But, if he's willing to go that far back on age, I'd also keep my eye on some Alvarez Yairi models and those old Sigmas, Martin's defunct Japanese line.

Edit: Oh, almost forgot, for a while there I thought Recording King were offering some terrific bargains. Actually bought one for my wife's farrier, a lefty with amazingly kludgy hands and fingers. I played quite a few that I thought punched well above their weight class.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2020
    Vcaster likes this.
  15. alexanderplatz

alexanderplatz Member

Definitely used. Best bet is to visit guitar stores frequently and find that one which is a budget guitar that happens to feel great and sound great to you. I don’t think there’s any one brand or model here. The whole idea is to not turn your nose up at anything. Try it and if you come across a good catch you pretty much have to buy it on the spot. Good examples of cheap guitars sell really fast.

16. AlanH

AlanH Member

I have a Recording King ROS-16 which sounds and plays stellar.

Bobbybigbucks likes this.
  17. Celticdave

Celticdave Seeker Gold Supporting Member

18. davess23

davess23 Member

I'd look for a used Blueridge or Eastman. If you're patient you could end up getting a very playable, good sounding and nice looking all solid woods Martin-style instrument for what you're prepared to spend.

19. Marty C

Marty C Member