Looking for an additional gain texture but not sure what?

crev71

I mainly play an ESP Vintage Plus (strat) into Bad Cat Lynx. Also have a Fender Jaguar HH tuned to B-standard for all my sludgy drone desires. Basically as of now I have the Gray Channel set as an always on (no clipping) clean boost to fatten up the single coils. For a little more grit I use the Strymon Deco with the saturation pretty high. Medium gain is the gain channel on my Lynx and for really chunky high gain, I have the 2nd channel of the Gray Channel set at a higher boost (no clipping).

It sounds awesome but I'm missing another gain texture or stage. Maybe a fuzz or a grittier overdrive? I've tried a handful of stuff I just didn't like how it stacked with my other pedals or amp. The other clipping modes on the Gray Channel don't stack well with the gain channel of my Bad Cat.

I've considered the smallsound/bigsound Mini or F*ck overdrive but looking for suggestions. I have a Verellen Big Spider and I love how it sounds on my Jaguar with humbuckers but it sounds terrible on the strat.

- grittier/fuzzier sound, but not uncontrollable and sputtery.
- sounds good with single coils - ie. keeps my sound fat, and still has clarity for complex chords
- sounds good in drop tunings and could take my sound to more doom/sludge tones (either stacked with my high gain channel or on it's own?)

Suggestions? Do I even make sense?

For your reference as of now my signal chain is: guitar > Last Gasp Gomorrah > buffer > EQD Gray Channel > Strymon Deco > EHX Superego > front of amp. FX Loop: Last Gasp Misty Cave > Strymon El Capistan > Strymon DIG > Flux Liquid Ambience > Neunaber Slate > Ditto X2. (I removed a Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop and the Verellen Big Spider because they didn't play nice with my rig)

NHBluesMan

haven't tried it with drop tuning, but the Cusack Screamer Fuzz is great for a thick gritty fuzz tone and sounds great with single coils and humbuckers. It will get sputtery if you crank the fuzz all the way up, but keeping the fuzz level around the 10-1 o'clock area is where it really shines. I'm not a fuzz guy and I absolutely love how it sounds and what it does for my guitars

crev71

haven't tried it with drop tuning, but the Cusack Screamer Fuzz is great for a thick gritty fuzz tone and sounds great with single coils and humbuckers. It will get sputtery if you crank the fuzz all the way up, but keeping the fuzz level around the 10-1 o'clock area is where it really shines. I'm not a fuzz guy and I absolutely love how it sounds and what it does for my guitars
This actually is something I was looking at. So that's great to hear. I've heard awesome things about the Screamer Fuzz.

fyler

the Mid Fi Overdrive is kind of a gritty soft fuzz. definitely not a normal OD, but it's extremely dynamic/sensitive & cool sounding. i had one for a while, and now i wish i hadn't sold it!

johntoste

Have you tried a Rat or rat varient?

I have an ARC Soothsayer that's very thick with my single coils and can do "almost fuzz" really well.

PurpleJesus

Moderation is key
Staff member
Really recommend a Ge Sunface from Analogman whenever these threads pop up. It does exactly what your asking. Gives you a very distinct (and great, imo) overdrive tone plus amazing fuzz tones when you turn your guitar volume up.

joealba

Suhr Rufus is my choice for this kind of thing. It's not very sputtery, is buffer friendly, and it stacks SO well! It has two stages of gain -- so you can can just get some grit or kick in the full on fuzz assault.

Jet Age Eric

For heavy gain and clarity in chording, the Boiling Point is excellent, and will have a different flava than the also-excellent Gray Channel. -E

DaveKS

Really liked the demos of this Pettyjohn Iron and also DOD/Shoe Looking Glass demos. The clipping and mix controls on Iron would seem especially good for letting your dropped sound come through without mudiness.

Maybe something more raw like Greer Ghetto Stomp or Lovepedal High Power Tweed Twin.

randomhero

Suhr Rufus is my choice for this kind of thing. It's not very sputtery, is buffer friendly, and it stacks SO well! It has two stages of gain -- so you can can just get some grit or kick in the full on fuzz assault.
Agreed!! The Rufus is a great pedal!!

e-flat

Silver Supporting Member
I mainly play an ESP Vintage Plus (strat) into Bad Cat Lynx. Also have a Fender Jaguar HH tuned to B-standard for all my sludgy drone desires. Basically as of now I have the Gray Channel set as an always on (no clipping) clean boost to fatten up the single coils. For a little more grit I use the Strymon Deco with the saturation pretty high. Medium gain is the gain channel on my Lynx and for really chunky high gain, I have the 2nd channel of the Gray Channel set at a higher boost (no clipping).

It sounds awesome but I'm missing another gain texture or stage. Maybe a fuzz or a grittier overdrive? I've tried a handful of stuff I just didn't like how it stacked with my other pedals or amp. The other clipping modes on the Gray Channel don't stack well with the gain channel of my Bad Cat.

I've considered the smallsound/bigsound Mini or F*ck overdrive but looking for suggestions. I have a Verellen Big Spider and I love how it sounds on my Jaguar with humbuckers but it sounds terrible on the strat.

- grittier/fuzzier sound, but not uncontrollable and sputtery.
- sounds good with single coils - ie. keeps my sound fat, and still has clarity for complex chords
- sounds good in drop tunings and could take my sound to more doom/sludge tones (either stacked with my high gain channel or on it's own?)

Suggestions? Do I even make sense?

For your reference as of now my signal chain is: guitar > Last Gasp Gomorrah > buffer > EQD Gray Channel > Strymon Deco > EHX Superego > front of amp. FX Loop: Last Gasp Misty Cave > Strymon El Capistan > Strymon DIG > Flux Liquid Ambience > Neunaber Slate > Ditto X2. (I removed a Fairfield Circuitry Barbershop and the Verellen Big Spider because they didn't play nice with my rig)
For a grainy, textured OD I really liked the Stephen Douglas "Leona" Ge Overdrive.

cosmic_ape

Silver Supporting Member
It sounds like you need fuzz in your life. Something clean enough but great with single coils? I vote Bearfoot Burgundy Bosshorn. It gives you the awesomeness of the Arctic White, but with more bass and aggression.

pete12string

Silver Supporting Member
There are so many different flavors of OD out there. I was looking for something "different" too and I bought a Rimrock PT Drive. They say it is like a Tubescreamer, but more. I never used a Tubescreamer, but the PT Drive is wildly flexible. Has a nice edge on the distortion and lots of options. Do a search - there's not a whole lot out there about them, but even at a higher price, the PR Drive was a good choice for me - different than all the other OD pedals I have (7).

Trending Topics