Looking for an affordable Tube Combo Amp.. need help

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by MikeLivesley, Aug 2, 2006.

1. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

Hi all,

I'm looking to buy a combo amp with the money I'll hopefully get back from my landlord from the deposit I put down on my flat when we moved in. The budget is around £300-£600 with any luck.

Basically I need a combo amp that's not ridiculously heavy (I have a Marshall 6100 3 channel head and 4x12" cabinet that I just can't be arsed lugging to practice and back twice a week - i just use it for gigs).

My hitlist is as follows:

• At least two channels with independent EQs
    • Tube driven
    • Useable clean and overdrive sounds
    • Footswitchable
    • Preferably 1 speaker
    I know I'm not asking boutique but I'm sure you folks know plenty about the new amp market. The ones I had picked out so far were:

Marshall DSL401
    Marshall TSL601

Any ideas?

2. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

I'd try a Fender Prosonic. It's a real workhorse and can be had for 350 pounds ($650).

stratzrus

3. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

isn't that a solidstate/hybrid amp? I'm looking for a tube amplifier.

4. TS808

TS808 Member

Prosonic is 60-watt all tube.

5. stratzrus

stratzrus Philadelphia Jazz, Funk, and R&B Supporting Member

Mike,

If you got that from the thread on myguitarsolo, take a lesson about believeing everything that you read.

The Prosonic is all tube (like 808 said). The gain channel has dual cascading preamp tubes like a Mesa and delivers gain tones from blues to classic rock and metal.

There's one for sale on fleabay: http://cgi.ebay.com/Fender-Prosonic-2X10-Combo-Tube-Amp_W0QQitemZ130012986957QQihZ003QQcategoryZ38074QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Here's the hype:

Prosonic Combo
    USA
    What do you get when you cross a classic Fender amplifier with a flame-thrower? The Prosonic.
    Two channels: Normal can take you from vintage clean to swampy grunge with the spin of your guitar's volume knob. Nail the drive channel's dual cascading gain controls and wait for the cops to arrive!
    Prosonic Specs: All-tube circuitry, 4, 8 or 16 ohm selector, 60 watts rms, 3-way rectifier switch (ClassA/cathode bias/tube rectifier, Class AB/grid bias/tube rectifier, Class AB/grid bias/SS rectifier).
    Prosonic Features: Dual selectable channels, normal channel volume, independent cascading gain controls in drive channel for ultra intense distortion textures, EFX loop, external speaker out, 2-button footswitch, birch/maple ply cabinet. Also, the Prosonic Combo has two custom-designed 10" Celestion speakers and all-tube spring reverb.

6. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

No, that was just a gut feeling.

I should have also mentioned that I live in the UK, so internation ebay isn't really an option. I'd prefer to buy new/nearly new so as to have some chance of getting a warranty. Tube amps hold their value so well there's no point not stumping up the extra cash for a new one.

Unfortunately there's no prosonics on ebay.co.uk at the moment. It sounds like a great amp, I need something that can do light-medium heavy overdrive. I play in an a power pop rock angular thingie band.

7. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

also the prosonic doesn't appear to have two independently EQ'd channels, something I can't do without.

8. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

How about a used mesa boogie DC-3 or DC-5 combo? OR a Zinky 25w blue (or black) velvet/

9. MikeLivesley

MikeLivesley Member

Zinky? Read my original post.. I don't have the bones for that sort of thing.

How much do those Mesa's run? I'll do some research

10. grego7

grego7 has left the building Gold Supporting Member

Oops - sorry. I figured that 300-600 GBP was like 550-1100 USD. BUt I guess some of these amps are harder to get across the Atlantic. You see zinkys occasionally on ebay or in the emporium for $600-700. I just bought a used DC-5 combo for $550. A lot of people hate the mesa boogie sound, but this isn't a rectifier. It has a good rhythm channel with a pull boost switch that gets you into very good blues territory, and the drive channel is very tweak-able, especially with the 5 band graphic eq. I plugged into a 2x12 with G12H30s, and actually prefer the way the wide-body cabinet of the mesa combo sounds with the stock black shadow speaker.

Hope this helps/

11. david henman

david henman Member

...do you have traynor amps over there?

if so, get the traynor ycv40wr, or the ycv20 blue. both amazing, both affordable.

-dh

12. earache33

earache33 Member