Looking for an analogue delay...delay...delay...

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by tubes2bits, Nov 30, 2005.

1. tubes2bits

tubes2bits Guest

I'm looking for the best analog delay pedal for short (slap) and tap tempo work. What's your favorite?

2. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

There's only one analog delay with tap tempo (that I know of), the Diamond Memory Lane. Haven't played one yet, but seems like a real cool stompbox.

Delays and Overdrives are very common threads, use the search function and you'll find a lot of info.

:)

3. JayDA

JayDA Member

DLS echotap gets my vote.

4. Da5Id

Da5Id Member

The DLS isn't analog so it doesn't meet the criteria.

I have a Memory Lane and it's a great pedal. A bit pricey, but it's the only game in town that's true analog with tap tempo. Max delay is 550ms which is fine for my uses.

5. slacker

slacker Senior Member

The Echotap might not be analogue but it is very good.

6. JayDA

JayDA Member

I was just going to say that, I've had every delay pedal known to man, and the DLS is pretty tough to beat.

7. king-albert

king-albert Supporting Member

I have a re-housed Guyatone AD-X analog delay that is perfect for the slap-back rockabilly sound. It has a 12ax7 in it so it is very warm sounding. It does not have a tap tempo however. Email me if you're interested. kchri (at) gbpinc (dot) com.

8. drolling

drolling Member

Another vote for Diamond MemoryLane. Analog. TapTempo.

Seeing as people are recommending digital delays as well, I'd say check out a DigiDelay. Tap tempo and a nicely voiced 'tape echo' mode for less than a hundred bucks.

9. sage97

sage97 Member

T-Rex Replica?

10. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

My Memory Lane is awsome.

11. e-z

e-z Member

I've only had the Memory Lane a short while and I haven't experimented with tap tempo much. However, the sound is fantastic and the controls make it a very versatile unit. For example the EQ knob enables you to control the tone of the repeats so they get progressively darker or brighter depending on the setting. That's only one of many little things that make this pedal so satisfying.

12. tubes2bits

tubes2bits Guest

Was there not a somewhat negative review of the Memory Lane in Guitar Player magazine?

Not that I take these reviews as gospel but, they seemed to have a concern about the sound quality.

You that have used the pedal don't seem to have that concern. Correct?

Does anyone know where to find sound samples of this pedal?

T-Rex Replica? I believe I have hear sound samples of this pedal. Is it analog?

13. Boogie92801

Boogie92801 Member

First,
    the memory lane has great tone ... but ALL analog delays degrade the signal somewhat as the repeats trail off, this is part of the magic. The only negative things that can be said of the memory lane are that the delay is only 550ms and any digital delay will out perform that and the thing self oscillates very easily. Neither of these things are necessarily bad but they may not be everyone’s cup of tea.

The T-rex sounds very good but it is not analog and some people reported tone issues. Though I like the T-Rex it cost more than even a memory lane

I sum up he memory lane as a mil spec deluxe memory man
    :D

14. davidkiddmusic

davidkiddmusic Member

The Trex Replica is not analog. Great sounding digital delay but sure is not analog.

+1 for the Memory Lane

I have the Memory Lane and the Maxon AD999. To be honest, the AD999 is my favorite sound. It knows its place in the mix of your tone/sound/rig. Its very warm + lush and capable of both short and long delay times. Most natural sounding of all of them to my ears as well. Mem Lane is a killer pedal as well. Great sound; cool modulation, and oscillatoin, but not as long delay time available... but has the tap tempo. Trade off to both. Thats why I bought both of them.

Good luck.

15. Jack Luminous

Jack Luminous Member

No tap-tempo but try to find an old Ibanez AD-100. It's like an AD-80 but in a small box, just the right size to put on top of your amp. Amazing sound, amazing self-oscillation. Instant spacey goodness. Lots of in/outs, wet out, dry out, mix control and remote switching just like a pedal. I found one for $75 last year. I don't know why the AD-80 is so expensive and that one is so cheap.

16. rawkguitarist

rawkguitarist Member

David, just curious which is inherently darker?? The ML or the AD999??

I've got an AD-900 that is a little too dark to me sometimes, although great!! I'm just curious how they compare??

Thanks man!