Looking for an inexpensive LP style rocker

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kleydj13, Dec 17, 2009.

1. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I've always been a Fender guy. I built a strat and a tele and I love them both dearly. I just can't get enough of a nicely overdriven neck pup sound... But anyways I have developed a growing sense that my rocking world would be better if I had a nice hunk of mahogany with some humbuggies (sorry GMD for the plagiarism).

The fact is that I haven't really gotten my hands on a Les Paul style guitar that sounds and plays good in a price range that I can afford. I'm a college kid so I really shouldn't even be thinking about another guitar, but hey I can always dream.

I'm looking around for a LP style guitar that I can afford. Priorities include quality rocking woods, organic old-school "wood" tone, dependability, and a nice price tag. I don't mind if it looks like butt if it rocks hard. Actually I find that to be endearing. I'm a bluesman at heart and so I really like the angst.

Some of the sounds I am looking for include definitely that classic rocking bridge pup sound. I definitely would stress classic: old Clapton stuff, Duane Allman, and Page. I really dig the neck pup with the tone rolled off too.

I'm not afraid of swapping pickups. Actually I will probably mess around with the electronics regardless. I can't do much with woods or fretwork or such. I just want something that is a great stripped down rocking machine. I have thus far only talked about LP's but I love SG's too, and hey most anything else of any shape that gets that sort of sound.

What sort of brands and models would you recommend I check out? What advice do you have for someone who is very unlearned with all things Gibson/Epiphone? It will probably be a while before I can make a purchase, but what sorts of things should I learn to look for? I'm just trying to jump into the water. I was initially drawn to SRV and Hendrix playing Strats, but there must be good reason why so many guys play Paul's. Thanks in advance!

2. Telecaster069

Telecaster069 Member

Why not build a partscaster to suit?
    You could build a Tele or Strat style guitar but change things to get a more traditional gibson sound and feel: mahogany body with or without maple cap, mahogany neck with rosewood board, flatter radius, 24 3/4" scale etc.
    This pretty easy with the custom body and neck building options at Warmoth.
    Added bonus is you could spread the cost out over several months if need be.
    Just a thought.

3. Lespaulsignature 74

Lespaulsignature 74 Silver Supporting Member

One of my first electric Guitars was a 61 Gibson Melody Maker. I hated the stock single coil pickup so I routed the body and installed a humbucker. It sounded and roared like a mini LesPaul Junior. You can get a used Gibson Melody Maker for around $300. I've recently seen a few for sale here , one had a P90 pickup installed.

4. scelerat

scelerat Silver Supporting Member

I was in the same mood you're in just 2 weeks ago when I bought an Aria Pro II Leopard, a mid-'70s Les Paul copy. Crummy pickups, but the rest of the guitar is great, solid straight long-tenon neck, decent heft, nice acoustic ring, and plays wonderfully. It could use a fret dressing, but other than that, just a great quality instrument. I'm very happy with it, my first foray into the world of LP's.

$500 from a guy in japan who sells a lot of these. I found it after doing some research on what I wanted and scouring local (SF bay area) vintage stores and pawn shops. I was finding some really cheap (as in low-quality) '80s copies for $250-$300. Tried a Memphis with Bill Lawrence pickups. Blech. I found a Cortez (precursor to Cort) in mediocre shape for $400. I saw a pristine '90s Burny for $700 and an amazing $600 Chinese copy of a Les Paul Custom that looked and felt like the real deal, down to the WIPO-flaunting "Gibson" on the headstock. In the end I decided I wanted an older guitar that was made with care, which led me to looking at mid-'70s and early '80s japanese copies by Burny, Greco, and Tokai. Turns out Aria made some good ones, too and when I found one on ebay I took a chance.

I guess I could have found a decent Epiphone for about the same price at a typical music store, but I wouldn't have had as much fun.

5. theraygun

theraygun Member

I've had a couple of Michael Kelly Patriot series guitars that I really liked. Good tone, quality build and cheap to boot.

6. alberob

alberob Member

Try the Epihones. I haved played quite a few and most were excellent for the money.I just helped a friend pick out one for her husband for Christmas , and it was within her budget .It was on sale at GC for $429. "It didn't suck!'' :hiP

7. mechanic

mechanic Member

I'd have to suggest either a SG or LP copy by Dillion.
    I have one of their DXC61 SG copies and it would do everything you are asking for.
    It set me back around $300 canadian dollars and its much better overall than any of the Epiphones I tried out.
    You can check them out at jsdguitarshack dot com
    I'm not affiliated with them in any way, I just really like their products.
    Good luck whatever you decide.
    Eric

Last edited: Dec 21, 2009
  8. Bro Blue

Bro Blue Member

9. guitarman3001

guitarman3001 Member

This. I have not personally played them but from what I've read of them, people seem to really like them. My only complaint based on appearance is that the xaviere headstocks are butt ugly!

I would tend to stay away from the current epiphone LPs. I bought one about a year ago and sent it back within an hour of opening the box. Only epi I'd buy at the moment is the 56 goldtop w/p90s. But for a regular LP with humbuckers, I couldn't recommend one of the current epis.

10. dazco

dazco Member

I have owned several real LP's including a 72 goldtop and a lot of ibanez and epiphone stuff, some from the early 80's. My fav sounding and playing LP type axe so far is also one of the cheapest. You can get various models with humbuckers or P90's. I have the P90 goldtop, and it's truly an great axe. Some are not typical carved top mahogany, so be aware. Mine is in all regards the same as a all mahogany LP except for the shape and P90's. They seem to go all day long for $400. Probably wasting my time because if you don't try one you probably will not look any further. But i kid you not, it's the best LP style i've owned both as far as playing and sound. And the quality is as good as any gibson i've owned aside from the pups. But at $400 NO ONE is going to give your great pups.

http://shop.ebay.com/?_from=R40&_tr...kw=schecter+tempest&_sacat=See-All-Categories

11. Travst

Travst Supporting Member

I'd say to take a look at the Agiles or the Hagstrom Super Swede.

12. BigPapiFan

BigPapiFan Member

I don't think you can go wrong with a set-neck DeArmond (M-70, M-72, M-75, M-77), the USA DeArmond Goldtone pickups are pretty PAFish. The bodies are solidly constructed and the fit and finish are excellent for guitars at their pricepoint. At >$300 they are a good buy. Only one of Ebay now (not mine):

http://cgi.ebay.com/DeArmond-M-75-guitar_W0QQitemZ230411751919

13. iohanr

iohanr Member

I vote for Agiles. I have an AL-3100 ($389) and it looks, sounds, and plays great.

14. Glenn D.

Glenn D. Member

15. GregoryL

GregoryL Supporting Member

If you could find a used Reverend Roundhouse, I think that would be ideal.

16. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

If your price range is <$500, look at the Agiles. They're great value.

If you're in the $700-800 range, look at the Japanese guitars (Burny, Tokai, Greco, Epiphone Elite/Elitist, Edwards) or perhaps Heritage. The Burny, Greco and Tokai guitars are alleged to be best from the late 70's/early 80's.

17. Dimmypage

Dimmypage Member

I bought this(Hamer) with DiMarzio pickup upgrade off ebay for $250

[​IMG]

18. kleydj13

kleydj13 Member

I'm digging the Agiles. The only evidence of their quality is peoples' word as I've never seen one in real life, and that freaks me out a little. The reviews however have been stellar. I also looked at the Dillon's and they impressed me. The SG model was at a good price.

I also will keep my eyes open for a real Gibson. Maybe I could scoop up a used LP Studio for a good price. I just want something that has the soul of a Les Paul without the fancy maple top and the bindings and all the aesthetic add ons. I'd like to support the American manufacturer, but it might be impossible to beat the prices of foreign made gear.

19. Bro Blue

Bro Blue Member