Looking for an "interesting" lower end amp again...

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Rena Rune, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Basically I mostly use modelers. My main amp for a while was a Vox AC4TV which I shifted when I decided it didn't take my pedals well, I still have my ZT Lunchbox though, which is great for Jazzy Cleans and some breakup.

I tend to like Oranges & Voxes(both vintage and modern), and some vintage Fender sounds.

One amp that caught my eye recently was the Orange Micro Terror. I like the Tiny Terror quite a bit, but I like the "Scuzzier" sound it has having an SS power section, if that makes any sense, it's not as nice sounding but it pulls it away a bit from the typical rock tone of the Tiny Terror.

I'm also pretty interested in the old HH amps, though I'm not sure how much I'd realistically use that sound. The Micro Terror kind of had a similar sound to my ears, but with more texture(in the better demos, I know the first ones were ****).

Similarly, I've also been eyeing the Dark Terror, it has more interesting cleans, and it's one of the more interesting high gain heads out there but it's a bit out of my price range and I think I probably prefer low to mid gain most of the time anyway.

I'm not really bothered about Solid State, Tube etc. but for cost and weight purposes, Solid State may be preferably. I've had various modeling amps - I'm happy with modeling but I really want to have one "unique" amp to jam around on, that I can just plug in and play.

What I'd be looking at here is lower Watt tube amps(5 Watts, or 15 with some kind of power scaling), above-entry level Solid State amps(like the bigger Peaveys, which are great amps but generic sounding), and Hybrids(like the Micro Terror, Vox VRs, old Valvestates, etc.)

I was actually considering getting both the Microterror, and some 1x12 combo who's speaker I can hijack, since I'm unsure I'm going to get one amp to do everything I want.

I'm wondering if there's something I've still missed though. Realistically my price range is about €350 and under. Really, there's quite a few amps I can afford for that(I could get a second hand tiny terror combo for that, for reference), but nothing terribly interesting.

2. paddywhack

paddywhack Silver Supporting Member

..check out a Traynor Dark Horse....

3. Axe-Man

Axe-Man Member

Do you have a modeller?

Maybe an amp with an FX loop so you can run something like a HD POD into it. I'm getting some pretty decent sounds with my HD500 and Orange TH30. The Dark Terror is pretty high gain but it has a great loop...perfect for a little grab and go modelling+tube 'poweramp' rig IMHO. Plus it's surprisingly loud for a little tiny amp. SH it might not be that pricey.

or...

A modeller and a EHX Magnum .44 poweramp...not as good as the above but IMHO something like a Kingsley Minstrel preamp pedal and the 44 sound pretty darn good. Tiny, portable and pretty cost effective considering you get a killer pedal into the bargain.

4. Frank Speak

Frank Speak Member

Check out a VHT Special 6. It comes in head or combo and they make 2 1x12 cabs for the head (open and closed back). I tried both and preferred the head and closed back cab.

5. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

6. Praetorian

Praetorian Member

Don't know whether they make it to your part of the world, but if you ever see one check out the Ulbrick amps firebottle 5. Great great small amp and takes pedals better than many bigger amps I've heard.

7. CA_Dan

CA_Dan Member

8. amphog

amphog Silver Supporting Member

Have you tried a Peavy tube VYPRE?

9. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Yeah - I really liked the sound of the Excelsior, the price is good, and it's reasonably light weight for an amp with such a big speaker.

Unfortunately, with no Master Volume or power scaling, it's useless to me. Shame. Add the cost of an attenuator and it starts to go over my limit.

10. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Not really looking for a modeler, have plenty of that.

11. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Any other suggestions? Open to SS, Hybrid, lower wattage tube amps(no NMVs - live in an apartment)

12. {Bold-as-love}

{Bold-as-love} Member

Definetely check out the Bugera V22

13. Davo17

Davo17 Member

Just to put it out there, I play my Marshall Class 5 (with the speaker plugged into the line out) and it attenuates to .1 watts. Its by far been the most satisfying amp for me to play at low volumes.

It also takes pedals quite well and the 3 band EQ gives you more low volume options. I even like the cleans.

Another option, is the Bugera class 5. Its tube, has a master volume, and even has a decent reverb. Additionally it has a built in attenuator for .1 and.01 watts and a line out. This was my apartment amp before my Marshall. Its a great amp.

14. arothamel6360

arothamel6360 Member

Egnater Tweaker 15s are nice and they come in combo and head form. Mine has become my plug and play amp. It does Fender, Marshall, and Vox tones while having a master volume, effective EQ, a couple of bright/normal and tight/deep switches, along with an effects loop. It's tiny, light, and pretty sturdy. The head can be had used for $250-$300 and the matching 1x12 sounds quite nice.

15. budglo58

budglo58 Member

Jet Citys are dirt cheap and come in a combo or head version with Master Volume.

16. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

I didn't realise you could even do that with the Class 5. That makes it kind of interesting.

Not super interested in Marshalls, but might give it a look now. I like the clean and breakup tones Marshalls can go.

17. Davo17

Davo17 Member

The newer heads do this with a switch, the rest you just plug the speaker lead half into the headphone out (it still clicks in, and doesnt move) and click the output selector to headphones/line out.

18. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Does that mean I can hijack the speaker for the Micro Terror should I get one too?

19. lang.murphy

lang.murphy Member

Assuming the ohm's match. And you'd have to get another speaker cable if you got the Class 5 combo as it's speaker cable is hardwired into the chassis. You'd have to get a "clips to 1/4" speaker cable. They're out there, not a big deal. I did that with mine then just plugged it into the ext. speaker jack when I wanted to use the C5.

Don't think I saw anyone mention the Tech 21 Trademark 30. Super ss amp in my book. Lots of tones, active tone stack, real spring 'verb, xlr direct out, headphone out (which can double as a 1/4" out) and only weighs 14 lbs. Produces the best mad Marshall crunch at whisper volumes that I've ever heard, imho.

20. Rena Rune

Rena Rune Member

Hmm, anyone know the proper name for that speaker cable? It could come in pretty handy.

I'll consider the TM30 too, but it seems to just really cop typical Fender, Marshall, Vox tones which is a shame. Looking for something a bit more unique.