Looking for an octave fuzz!

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by ahcleinad, May 20, 2011.

1. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

So I've been looking for a pedal that will make my lead lines cut through and decided today that an octave fuzz will help me do that. So I've been looking at octave fuzzes all day and can't decide on which one to finally get. I've been kind of just thinking about getting another fuzz to stack with my Pharaoh for monstrous tone and gain and just getting an octave pedal.

What are some good octave fuzzes out there? Or maybe just a fuzz + octave?

2. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Er, well, an analog octave fuzz is going to sound a lot different from an "octave pedal," if I understand you correctly.

Have you watched videos of any pedal(s) that appeal(s) to you in particular?

3. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

So far some I have looked at are Foxrox Octron, MJM Roctavios, and MJM China Fuzz. I've been watching demos of other fuzzes like Musket, Lunar Module, and the Hoof, but was thinking that an octave fuzz would suit me better in this situation. So I was wondering if there were any other options.

4. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Cool, yeah, we're on the same page. The Octron is unique in that you've got both the octave up and octave down on tap, the Roctavios is in the Octavia vein, and the China Fuzz is in the Superfuzz vein. The Octavia types are (I think, usually) fuzz faces with a transformer thrown into the circuit - they have a splatty sound with the drive cranked and are less fuzzy/mostly ghostly high-octave-bound with the drive backed off. Superfuzzes usually have either mid-boost or mid-cut settings tonally, with a harsher/scrapier/trashier sound and a less in-your-face high-octave than that of the Octavia.

My favorite octave fuzzes are probably the z.Vex Johnny Octave 2-in-1 and the Chicago Iron Octavian Plus. They're both pretty pricey, but well-worth the used prices. The z.Vex has both 1 and 2-octave-up modes, with internal trimmers to set the gain for each channel (plus something else I can't remember at the moment, maybe saturation...?). 1-up is similar to an Octavia, but 2-up is pretty insane when you have the drive cranked - it'll cut real well. The Chicago Iron is cool because you have both octave and non-octave fuzzes on tap via a footswitch, plus a phase toggle that allows you to tighten or loosen the fuzz to taste. The Chicago Iron is also Octavia-based.

You could also look into the Foxx Tone Machine or its offshoots (Retroman Wolf Machine and Ronsound Stone Machine spring to mind) for a more pronounced octave than that of either the Octavia or Superfuzz types. There's also the Bassmaster-based pedals to consider - Malekko B:Assmaster, Black Cat Bass Octave Fuzz, etc.

5. Stratm69

Stratm69 Member

Fulltone Octafuzz

6. Toe

Toe Member

I'm no expert on this, but I'm very satisfied with my Octron for this application. Cuts through very nicely.

7. cubistguitar

cubistguitar Member

That Roctavios would rock.

A little crazy and scary, but it sounds like the real deal.

8. macki

macki Member

The FEA photon fuzz has caught my attention. You get fuzz and octave (with a blend knob and footswitch) + frequency shaping.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

10. duderanimous

duderanimous Monsterpiece Fuzz - Fuzz Master Extraordinaire Silver Supporting Member

I like the Voodoo Lab Proctavia. Has that classic octave up thing going on, and sounds especially good when run into another dirt pedal or your amps od. Think of the upper octave solo tones in Kenny Wayne Sheppard's "Blue on Black"

11. 8strings0hair

8strings0hair Member

For simplicity, the HBE UFO is very cool. The modern/vintage switch brings in two very usable and distinct voices too.
    The Hartman and Freekish Blues seem to be in the same vein, all of them having the option to switch the octave in & out.
    As someone mentioned though, for ultimate flexibility the FEA Photon Fuzz is hard to beat. It's a tweaker's dream and can be very subtle or really monstrous.

12. jboyjams

jboyjams Member

This is the one I chose - it's a new small box and the Octave can't be beat for doing Jimi style upper octave tones IMO. For me the fuzz is terrible and I'd never use that part anyway - I have way better Fuzz Faces. But the octave is excellent!

I also owned an FoxRox Octron, Prescription Electronics C.O.B., Experience, and a KR Musical doubler.
    All of these were very sweet which says a lot for the Octafuzz...

13. Bluedano1

Bluedano1 Member

Its cheap but the Danelectro French Toast is a budget clone of the Foxx Tone Machine (both designed by the same person), it has an switchable octave-up that tracks (single notes) very well and the pedal has great range in the Tone control and the fuzz/octave does cut through!

14. WickedG

WickedG Member

MI Audio Pollyanna is pretty cool. contol over one octave up, and 1 and 2 octaves down.

It can be a bit out of control sometimes though.

15. Kev O)))

Kev O))) Member

Foxx Tone Machine
    Fulltone Ultimate Octave
    Fulltone Octavfuzz
    BOSS FZ-2
    Dunlop Ocatvio

Last edited: May 27, 2011
  16. Bobby D

Bobby D Member

Fulltone Octafuzz, one of the later model with the "on-off" switch for the upper octave. GREAT pedal, and usually only $100-$125 used.....

17. ahcleinad

ahcleinad Member

Is the Red Witch Fuzz God a octave fuzz? There is one on craigslist in my area.

18. stopreferencing

stopreferencing Member

Nah. That doesn't mean you won't like it, though.

19. GAT

GAT Gold Supporting Member

If you are already playing distorted by cranking your amp or using pedals then I suggest a Z. Vex Johnny Octave. It doesn't add distortion/fuzz, but it adds that cool upper octave thing which works great with cranked amps.

20. DonaldDemon

DonaldDemon Member

I have the HBE UFO and C-bread Ottava and both kick arse. I use the UFO live because I love the fuzz on its own too