1. The Gear Page is run by musicians for musicians. We listen, we learn and if we misstep we are not afraid to do the right thing. We proposed some changes to the Emporiums. Based on feedback from members, we have decided to not go ahead with those changes. However, it has also highlighted that we need some community input into what is working and what is not working for members here. Primarily focused on the Emporiums, we'd like input on your thoughts about TGP and how things work in the Emporiums for you and how you'd improve them. The discussion thread on the is here!

Dismiss Notice

Looking for an overdrive peddle.

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by spyrotheleo, Oct 6, 2006.

1. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

For worship at church its too much for me to crank my amp so I have to use peddles. I currently have a jakyll and hyde and a boss dd-20. I am looking for a overdrive peddle that sounds better than the jakyll and hyde and a little brighter. I am useing a bivalve amp. I am looking at spending $100-200. And the modded peddles I have seen look cool. Thanks

Justin

2. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

Any recomondation? How are the modded keyle ts9

3. VintageToneGuy

VintageToneGuy Member

I highly recommend the Fulltone OCD for your needs at your Church setting or anywhere else where OD is desired. I've owned a Analogman TS-808 Silver Mod and two Keeley TS9 Modded pedals and kept neither. I wanted to keep them because of all the rave reviews, etc... but in reality, they just didn't do it for me. I've tried virtally a dozen or so other pedals and the only one that I call a 'Keeper' for my board is the OCD. Is can almost be used as a Clean Boost and it can go Full Distortion; just depends on where you set it. You can pick one up on the Bay or here on TGP for around $140-$150 range. By the way, I have Version One. The newer models have a 500K pot which makes it a little brighter (I think). I like mine the way it is because I play a bright amp anyway (ie, Fender Deluxe Reverb RI.

~`-VtG-`~

4. dmbandtimmy

dmbandtimmy Member

+1 for the OCD - Killer pedal

I can't recommend the Keeley stuff enough either. Great guy to work with.

You might also check out a Fulltone FD2. Another great pedal that is in the TS9 camp and I know a lot of Christian bands that use them.

BTW, I would recommend a TIM too, but I know the list is long right now. I just got one last week and its a great addition to my pedal collection! Not to mention Paul is one of the coolest dudes to boot! :)

5. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Off the shelf Xotic pedals are my favorite. AC Booster, or BB Preamp.

6. johnnySRZ

johnnySRZ Member

Barber Direct Drive sounds like the ticket...

7. Meat Head

Meat Head Member

I haven't been able to get my mits on a Klon Centaur or a Hermidia ZenDrive, but while I wait I'm lovin' my OCD...

8. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

And I have a question about my jakyll and hyde. I think it has something wrong because it buzzes when I use the overdrive, and I know its not my amp because my amp is extreamly quite when I am not playing anything. It doesn't seem to have a problem when using the distortion side of the jakyll and hyde. Since it is still under warrenty I think I am going to take it into my guitar tech. Or is this normal wiht that peddle? Thanks

9. lannyhall

lannyhall Member

I like the Fulltone Fulldrive 2, as it has adjustable tone and two (adjustable) levels of overdrive. I also like the true bypass and that it sounds good. I've been through others, but stayed with this one.

10. David-R

David-R Supporting Member

:dude I agree.
    The Direct Drive is great, even better with the mod PCB added.

11. sandman

sandman Member

Mine sure doesn't buzz on the green side, it's a lot smoother than the red side. Send an email to VS their customer service is great. I'm also wondering what do folks who replied above think of it's OD?
    Are suggested TS type pedals much 'better' and how would you describe the difference beetween say FD2 and Jekyll OD?

12. stratman89

stratman89 Supporting Member

+1 for the OCD.....extremely versatile pedal

13. Sarg_29

Sarg_29 Member

Diamond J Drive or Fireburst.... great pedals.:AOK

14. racktifier

racktifier Member

Hi justin,

i'm not familiar with the thd amps but i know that each amp has a built-in attenuator. so you should be able to crank up your bivalve while keeping your stage volume down.

I have a jekyll and hyde and have never experienced any buzzing on the od side. Usually i have it at gain 09:00 or less. Any noise I get comes from the distortion side which i set at gain about 03:00.

As for pedal recommendations, this really depends on what your needs are. But if you're going for a light overdrive or clean boost I wouldn't go for the OCD. Crowther Hotcake and Cochrane Timmy are excellent for this application and a fair bit cheaper too. :AOK

There is a long waiting list for the timmy though. If you're interested in a budget solution, a digitech bad monkey can be had for less than $40! (possibly even less than $30 used)

15. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

Oh yeah, I have a bad monkey but my friend has borred it for like forever because I didn't care for it through my carvin amp that I had before my thd. And using the attenuater and getting good distortion without a peddle is hard to keep it at the volume for my youth group. Its still pretty loud with the attenuater and if I put it too low it looses the good overdrive sound.

16. esoteric pete

esoteric pete Supporting Member

17. Swain

Swain Member

The MI Audio Blues Pro is a great OD. Not too expensive, either. For something more TS like, the Pedalworx Tejas pedal has a lot to offer. More gain, and a "Spice" knob that allows a lot more versatility.

18. spyrotheleo

spyrotheleo Member

Today we rocked it out loud at youth group because we invited tons of people and got 100+ youth there and my amp sounded awsome./ But stupid loud drumers, I had to be right in front of it. I am thinking of getting the fulltone ocd(I think I spelled it right). Do you think this is the best bet?